Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 [94] 95 96   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 230213 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #1395 on: Sunday, July 21, 2024, 18:57:22 »

Can somebody (who's a bit more than a casual cricket fan) explain to me how Ben Stokes seems to escape criticism?

I understand he's the captain and a key reason behind the more aggressive play style of the test team. He might be absolutely vital to our future success. But just to play devils advocate:

When you're averaging barely 30, bowling less and less each year (often not at all) then when does there become a time where you promote Pope to captain and look for somebody else to come through? because his performances are rarely there anymore.

Almost feels like he's in the side because he *can* win a game by himself. But does the potential of one magical innings out of 20 justify the consistently disappointing performances with the bat?

Remember Mike Brearley, England captain and opening bat who never scored a test century & had a pitiful batting average of less than 30, who most would say was a good England captain because he was a leader that could manage & motivate players
Quagmire

Arthur Fouler

Ignore
« Reply #1396 on: Sunday, July 28, 2024, 14:09:32 »

Can somebody (who's a bit more than a casual cricket fan) explain to me how Ben Stokes seems to escape criticism?

I understand he's the captain and a key reason behind the more aggressive play style of the test team. He might be absolutely vital to our future success. But just to play devils advocate:

When you're averaging barely 30, bowling less and less each year (often not at all) then when does there become a time where you promote Pope to captain and look for somebody else to come through? because his performances are rarely there anymore.

Almost feels like he's in the side because he *can* win a game by himself. But does the potential of one magical innings out of 20 justify the consistently disappointing performances with the bat?

Ben Stokes says thank you for this post.  Cheesy
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #1397 on: Sunday, July 28, 2024, 14:24:10 »

Ben Stokes says thank you for this post.  Cheesy

Haha.

It might look a little silly but obviously batting as opener against an already defeated WI side under zero pressure isn't quite the same as when we've needed him to produce totals against India, Australia etc.

Quagmire

Arthur Fouler

Ignore
« Reply #1398 on: Sunday, July 28, 2024, 14:25:39 »

Haha.

It might look a little silly but obviously batting as opener against an already defeated WI side under zero pressure isn't quite the same as when we've needed him to produce totals against India, Australia etc.

You did see his innings against Australia at Headingley didn’t you, and Lords for that matter, albeit the result didn’t go our way in that one.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #1399 on: Sunday, July 28, 2024, 14:38:31 »

You did see his innings against Australia at Headingley didn’t you, and Lords for that matter, albeit the result didn’t go our way in that one.

Headingley was 5 years ago.

You're also cherry picking which innings you want to judge his batting on.

I am not saying he shouldn't be in the side, I was just adding a balanced argument that as a pure batsmen he has recently under performed. Usually you'd give leeway as he can also bowl (but he hasn't been doing that recently until now)

Whilst in his current physical state, he is obviously nailed on and rightly so. And obviously his captaincy skills would make it so regardless, as others have pointed out above.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1400 on: Sunday, July 28, 2024, 14:52:20 »

I've said it in the past, Stokes is not a great Test Batsmen and never has been.  His average belongs in the early 90's team.  Given his frailty as a bowler, if someone like Root was still captain, and the change in philosophy hadn't happened, he'd struggle to get in the team.  BUT, he is now integral to the team simply because of his captaincy.  If he manages a decent innings every so often and gets some wickets, that's a bonus really.  It's amazing the difference captaincy can make in cricket and I don't know who else gets us going the way we play these days.
Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #1401 on: Sunday, July 28, 2024, 16:30:56 »

Stokes is a player of great innings, but not a consistent run maker. In fact, away from England, he’s a very, very ordinary batsman. Averages just 33 away with the bat, but he’s one of the very few cricketers who has proven himself adept at rescuing his team from some of the most dire positions (with both bat and ball). He will end up like Flintoff regarding his stats. If you just look at his stats, nothing will particularly jump out at you, but the impact he has had on certain test matches has been unbelievable
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #1402 on: Monday, July 29, 2024, 10:20:48 »

Stokes is a player of great innings, but not a consistent run maker. In fact, away from England, he’s a very, very ordinary batsman. Averages just 33 away with the bat, but he’s one of the very few cricketers who has proven himself adept at rescuing his team from some of the most dire positions (with both bat and ball). He will end up like Flintoff regarding his stats. If you just look at his stats, nothing will particularly jump out at you, but the impact he has had on certain test matches has been unbelievable

I think the comparison with Flintoff is fair, sometimes you can forgive a relatively poor average for the other stuff a player brings to the team. It was only a few years ago that it seemed like his test career could be over after the nightclub nonsense. Now he’s a man who’ll go down as one of our greatest ever captains.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #1403 on: Monday, July 29, 2024, 10:29:46 »

I think the comparison with Flintoff is fair, sometimes you can forgive a relatively poor average for the other stuff a player brings to the team. It was only a few years ago that it seemed like his test career could be over after the nightclub nonsense. Now he’s a man who’ll go down as one of our greatest ever captains.

Hmm,

Greatest ever in terms of changing the culture / mindset of the team? Sure.

But can you go down as one of the great england test captains without an Ashes win on your CV?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1404 on: Monday, July 29, 2024, 10:31:57 »

I can't believe you're not counting our moral victory last summer.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #1405 on: Thursday, October 10, 2024, 08:58:01 »

In the ridiculous game over in Pakistan England declare.  On 823 for 7.  267 ahead.  Root out for 262, Brook went on to get 317.

I think they might need to look at how they are preparing the pitch!

Never knowingly overstated.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1406 on: Thursday, October 10, 2024, 09:05:32 »

I think anyone who has ever opened can absolutely identify with Ollie Pope getting out for a duck to a wonder catch and then your side going on to score zillions.

... and with Abdullah Shafique, just bowled first ball of the reply after the opposition rack up zillions.
Ƭ̵̬̊: The Artist Formerly Known as CWIG
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1407 on: Thursday, October 10, 2024, 11:19:19 »

Got about an hour left. Get another two down please. Not asking for too much, is it?
Ƭ̵̬̊: The Artist Formerly Known as CWIG
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1408 on: Thursday, October 10, 2024, 11:31:11 »

6 down
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1409 on: Thursday, October 10, 2024, 11:36:24 »

Has the pitch/conditions  rapidly changed or what?!
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 [94] 95 96   Go Up
Print
Jump to: