Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 93   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 193211 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 10:31:38 »

Jimmy is 39, fast bowling is quite hard on the body, especially if the opposition bat for a good chunk of 5 days. Having said that, rotating both of then out in the same game, then finding a bowler friendly Day 1 pitch and choosing to bat, does seem a little poorly thought through.

Yeah, he's looked after himself though.
Selection for the squad should mean fit to play if called upon.*
Uphill struggle now.

*Doesn't seem to apply in football where broken feet & shoulders about to fall off haven't been a barrier to England selection for major tournaments.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 13:24:56 »

Let's be honest over the past three years or more, that was not a collapse in either innings, just how we bat.   The difference between forms of the game cannot be coincidence.  Root is the only player who looks like a Test batsman.  The rest all average below 40 by a distance and never look set.  Stokes can be a great player but not an anchor and at some point we have to identify we can't pick him as a bowler, not one you want to rely on.  It's hard to knock individuals because they really don't have much more in them.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 13:40:55 »

Day night test the next one, so starts about 3:30 AM and goes from there, so a decent chance of seeing the final session of each day at least.

I see that the mood music suggests an England selectorial classic: bat shite, field shite, bowl pretty well considering, drop three bowlers for the next test.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Thursday, December 16, 2021, 11:27:34 »

Well, the good news is the day/night game meant I was able to watch two whole sessions today.

The bad news is that those two sessions included one wicket.

Poor Jos Buttler has managed to pull off one of the best catches I've seen and one of the worst drops I've seen in one day. Sadly the blinder was off Harris, who is useless, and the drop was off Labuschagne, who really isn't, and was his second drop.

It's all feeling a bit 5-0 this.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Thursday, December 16, 2021, 22:24:50 »

Game over already.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Thursday, December 16, 2021, 23:29:29 »

When Root said in an interview that unlike previous tours we could take some positives out of the first test I thought we were in trouble.

Couldn’t see many positives in a 9 wicket trashing, surely they should be thinking about what we could do better.

Only question is whether it will be 4-0 or 5-0
Hunk

« Reply #111 on: Friday, December 17, 2021, 08:44:31 »

Hameed catches Carey and England don’t celebrate. Says it all
« Last Edit: Friday, December 17, 2021, 10:08:26 by Hunk » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Friday, December 17, 2021, 09:27:35 »

And now one of these incredibly annoying lower order biffing partnerships that we used to be great at.

And another drop. Our fielding has been horrible.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Friday, December 17, 2021, 10:20:15 »

God we are shit.
Boy About Town
Pricko

Often outnumbered, never outgunned.

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Friday, December 17, 2021, 10:22:16 »

Dire. Wouldn't be surprised if Root goes cheap as well. Series drubbing incoming.

Now, ain't that just like me?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Friday, December 17, 2021, 10:32:39 »

Saved by the storm.
Hunk

« Reply #116 on: Friday, December 17, 2021, 10:38:15 »

Burns needs to be dropped (which is ironic as it's all he seems able to do on the field). He offers nothing. Not the rest are much use either. Utterly useless.

EDIT: Probably not fair of me to single out any one player. They are a really poor test team across the board and it's no surprise that one or two individuals always seem to be scape goats, so I should probably take that back. The whole setup needs a rethink as we are going to be crushed 5-0.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 17, 2021, 10:43:46 by Hunk » Logged
Boy About Town
Pricko

Often outnumbered, never outgunned.

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Friday, December 17, 2021, 10:41:46 »

Burns needs to be dropped (which is ironic as it's all he seems able to do on the field). He offers nothing. Not the rest are much use either. Utterly useless

Bring back Strauss and Cook. Could play better than them two opening divs.

Now, ain't that just like me?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Friday, December 17, 2021, 10:42:42 »

You can only drop him if there's someone to replace him with though, and there really isn't. Literally on this tour, as they sent all the Lions team home so the only other batsmen on the tour are Crawley, Bairstow and Lawrence.

The main worry for me with Burns is that he's playing at these balls at all. They're bouncing over a second set of stumps and he's trying to play them - all the Aussies leave on length and it's so important to do that.
Hunk

« Reply #119 on: Friday, December 17, 2021, 10:47:49 »

You can only drop him if there's someone to replace him with though, and there really isn't. Literally on this tour, as they sent all the Lions team home so the only other batsmen on the tour are Crawley, Bairstow and Lawrence.

The main worry for me with Burns is that he's playing at these balls at all. They're bouncing over a second set of stumps and he's trying to play them - all the Aussies leave on length and it's so important to do that.

I don't know much about Crawley and Lawrence, would you be as worried about either of them opening as you must be about Burns? I'll defer to your more informed opinion.

Would Bairstow be worth a go? Could he be any worse?

I'm so disillusioned by this team, its really depressing
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 93   Go Up
Print
Jump to: