Poll
Question: If the worst were to happen and the club fold what would you do?
Give up on football entirely
Push for and support a phoenix club
Supermarine
Transfer to another non-league club
Transfer to another league club
Transfer to a PL club (you glory hunting twat!)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: If the worst were to happen  (Read 11364 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 12:42:01 »

That's brilliantly put, RedRag

It's what that Like button is needed for.  Thumb

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 13:14:15 »

So, how/why do clubs, including our own, still go about their business as if nothing had changed?

I honestly don’t get it. I thought a few clubs would have gone bust by now.

Living off advanced TV money and solidarity payments from the PL I guess.
Christmas or early in the new year might be the tipping point for some clubs.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 13:21:11 »

So, how/why do clubs, including our own, still go about their business as if nothing had changed?

I honestly don’t get it. I thought a few clubs would have gone bust by now.
We've answered this a few times now. The Premier League advanced the normal "solidarity payments" they make to the league during the course of the season. They made the August payment early to get clubs through the summer, then also brought forward what would normally be the Jan payment. That's what clubs are living off now. But with no other income, it won't last long, certainly not till January. And of course, come January, even the prudent clubs are fucked
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 13:42:35 »

Still doesn’t explain why very few, if any, clubs are cutting back substantially enough to fend off the coming financial tsunami- they’re still behaving as if nothing changed.

Reckon we’re on a lower budget than last season?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 13:44:40 »

Still doesn’t explain why very few, if any, clubs are cutting back substantially enough to fend off the coming financial tsunami- they’re still behaving as if nothing changed.
I think there's probably a few that are, behind the scenes. So, for example, the PoF pod reckoned that the PFA have claimed that lots of players have "COVID clauses" in their contracts i.e. we'll pay you £x per week, but if fans aren't back by October/Nov/Dec, then that drops to £y, and if it's BCD all season it drops again to £z, as much as 50% reductions. And there will be some clubs that are just banking on some kind of bail-out coming from govt/PL/combination thereof. Let's face it, there's plenty of clubs that have been running on "shit or bust" financial policies for years. Why would COVID make them change?
« Last Edit: Friday, October 2, 2020, 13:46:41 by pauld » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: