Poll
Question: If the worst were to happen and the club fold what would you do?
Give up on football entirely
Push for and support a phoenix club
Supermarine
Transfer to another non-league club
Transfer to another league club
Transfer to a PL club (you glory hunting twat!)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: If the worst were to happen  (Read 11351 times)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:05:55 »

Hardly any decent grounds left this side of the border now, Scottish grounds are far better these days.  Very few IKEA standard builds, lots of old dirty historical unique proper grounds.

Done a few over the years. QOS and Morton are favourites that spring to mind
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #76 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:10:53 »

I have never understood the affinity someone would show to a town or city club that they have absolutely no connection to, it's purely down to the "my team is better than your team" bollocks taken from childhood into adulthood. If that floats your boat then crack on.
My affinity to Liverpool was a weird one to be honest. I was a Swindon fan already i had been going for 5 years as a kid. It just seemed to me that everything bad that was happening in the world seemed to be happening to people of Liverpool ,Hillsborough, the James Bulger killing. I went up to the memorial with a family member and just loved the City weirdly . I agree to a certain extent what you say about some fans being like that but there are fans of Swindon who are not from here so i am not sure the my club is better than your club can be thrown at all those types of supporters
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:14:04 »

there are fans of Swindon who are not from here so i am not sure the my club is better than your club can be thrown at all those types of supporters
I can confirm I'm a misery hunter
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #78 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:18:27 »

Hardly any decent grounds left this side of the border now, Scottish grounds are far better these days.  Very few IKEA standard builds, lots of old dirty historical unique proper grounds.

Done a few over the years. QOS and Morton are favourites that spring to mind
My best mate is a season ticket holder at St Johnstone, I have been with him a few times there and that is about as close to an Ikea build as you get up there, the only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Falkirk but thats not half finished, or possibly Hibs ground but that has a bit of character (sorry Bob!)

East Fife is brilliant! what a view...

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:25:11 »

My affinity to Liverpool was a weird one to be honest. I was a Swindon fan already i had been going for 5 years as a kid. It just seemed to me that everything bad that was happening in the world seemed to be happening to people of Liverpool ,Hillsborough, the James Bulger killing. I went up to the memorial with a family member and just loved the City weirdly . I agree to a certain extent what you say about some fans being like that but there are fans of Swindon who are not from here so i am not sure the my club is better than your club can be thrown at all those types of supporters

So why are there hardly any fans of clubs like Dover or Northwich from outside their respective catchment areas, around the country/globe? It's down to wanting to support a club that's successful on the pitch. Hence the phrase glory hunter.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:26:15 »

So why are there hardly any fans of clubs like Dover or Northwich from outside their respective catchment areas, around the country/globe? It's down to wanting to support a club that's successful on the pitch. Hence the phrase glory hunter.
Bye
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:28:53 »

What happened to the Norway Reds?  Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:30:03 »

What happened to the Norway Reds?  Smiley
Still going. And Swindon Town Brasil. See them both on Twitter from time to time

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:34:22 »

I was Liverpool mad when I was a young kid and had all the kit, scarves, hats etc. They were the best side in the country and on the TV regularly so they were my team in primary school. That changed as soon as I went to the county ground and Swindon took over.

I couldn't call myself a fan nowadays as I've not been to a game for a few years. I'd be sad for others if the town were no more as I've been there where the club was very important to me but personally I wouldn't be losing anything now as I have the memories of my time at football and nothing can change that. I've pretty much given up on football already. I'll watch the odd game on TV but ain't fussed at all. The game has been ruined in my opinion.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:41:13 »

I'd be sad for others if the town were no more as I've been there where the club was very important to me but personally I wouldn't be losing anything now as I have the memories of my time at football and nothing can change that. I've pretty much given up on football already. I'll watch the odd game on TV but ain't fussed at all. The game has been ruined in my opinion.

This is pretty much me as well to be honest. Another poster asked how you can just stop liking football, but I think its definitely possible. The game has totally changed beyond all recognition since I've got older, and not for the better in my opinion.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #85 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:48:37 »

The game has totally changed beyond all recognition since I've got older, and not for the better in my opinion.
I think the actual quality of the player has got better but most players seem to be athletes first and footballers 2nd.

I don't enjoy football even half as much now as I did when I used to go to every game home and away year in year out in the mid 80s when ironically the football on show was awful in comparison.

I don't enjoy watching Premier League football much TBH, theres just little to entertain me despite the quality of the players/grounds/football on show etc. again this could be because I don't give a shit about the teams competing.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 10:49:21 »

This is pretty much me as well to be honest. Another poster asked how you can just stop liking football, but I think its definitely possible. The game has totally changed beyond all recognition since I've got older, and not for the better in my opinion.
Just curious, but what is it that's ruined it for you (and Arriba)?
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #87 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 11:06:20 »

That is a bit extreme though isn't it? That is just normal. You are technically a glory supporter yourself then on that basis
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 11:09:06 »

That is a bit extreme though isn't it? That is just normal. You are technically a glory supporter yourself then on that basis

I do live in Swindon though.

The Lilywhites first for me  Wink

Yeah, a bit extreme but there will always be a few exceptions of course.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 11:11:41 by 4D » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 11:09:26 »

Just curious, but what is it that's ruined it for you (and Arriba)?

I really couldn't put my finger on anything specific to be honest Paul, I wonder whether its because going to football, or even watching a game of football when I was younger was exciting, as it happened once a week for 9 months of the year. Even when I was in my twenties I enjoyed going to the pub to watch games with my mates.

Aside from the once a month or so visit to the CG with my dad, I'm just not bothered anymore. Perhaps its because I don't have any kids and so I don't have anything to try and impart the 'magic' of the game to, who knows. Or maybe its because there is so much football and its so readily available?

Sorry that's probably quite a woolly response, but its really difficult to put into words.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 11:12:49 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: