Poll
Question: If the worst were to happen and the club fold what would you do?
Give up on football entirely
Push for and support a phoenix club
Supermarine
Transfer to another non-league club
Transfer to another league club
Transfer to a PL club (you glory hunting twat!)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: If the worst were to happen  (Read 11352 times)
Valid Pint

« Reply #90 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 11:22:17 »

Is the Swindon / Liverpool connection something that isn't subliminal like playing in red?

STFC's lack of cup runs in recent years will have diminished the number of transients living in the town who might otherwise haved liked the flavour of the club in a "I'm Swindon til I move" style.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 11:33:13 »

I think if you don't attend every week you do drift away as a whole, life gets in the way and you get other priorities exacerbated in our case by the fact that Swindon have rather bumbled along for years.

My FIL is a Liverpool supporter and thus as you can imagine rather enthused at the moment, he will regularly come round and first question will be did you see the game last night. Answer 9 times out of 10 is no and in probably 5 times out of 10 I didn't know who was playing nor what the score is.

I must confess I watch much more cycling these days. 
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 11:36:07 »

I must confess I watch much more cycling these days. 

I probably watch football on the tv as much as Rugby or Gaelic football these days.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 11:46:21 »

I probably watch football on the tv as much as Rugby or Gaelic football these days.
Now you've gone too far
Valid Pint

« Reply #94 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 13:40:29 »

The bastardisation of the beautiful game.

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 09:33:25 »

Just curious, but what is it that's ruined it for you (and Arriba)?

The demise of the art of defending. The ridiculous amounts of money paid for and paid to footballers. VAR. The God awful women's game. The pundits. And just prefering to do other things.
I don't hate the game and still enjoy it to a point but can take it or leave it nowadays.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 09:47:18 »

The demise of the art of defending.

Not sure its the demise of the art, more the demise of the ability to defend. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't these days. You have a player running towards you really fast, now if you remotely touch them they will fall over and you give away a free kick so what are defenders supposed to do.

It really winds me up everyone getting all a lather about that goal that Giggs scored way back against Arsenal? in the cup, making out its some sort of wonder goal, he basically ran very fast and then dared anyone to tackle him when he got into the area, Ronaldo (the abs obsessed one not the fat one) is exactly the same.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 10:31:25 »

Not sure its the demise of the art, more the demise of the ability to defend. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't these days. You have a player running towards you really fast, now if you remotely touch them they will fall over and you give away a free kick so what are defenders supposed to do.

It really winds me up everyone getting all a lather about that goal that Giggs scored way back against Arsenal? in the cup, making out its some sort of wonder goal, he basically ran very fast and then dared anyone to tackle him when he got into the area, Ronaldo (the abs obsessed one not the fat one) is exactly the same.

Giggs starts his run by the half way line.
Absolutely no reason to not cynically take him down there, aside from the fact you can’t get near him.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 11:29:19 »

My perspective is that of an older fan.

I may have drifted away for several months from time to time in my life.  I sometimes find myself staring, daydreaming at the weather over the downland from the Arkells these days.  My mind might wander off to us winning the Champions League after a shock FA Cup win and qualification for and winning of the Europa Cup.  Loving the despair of the big sponsors and the mainstream media.  I glance back down at the pitch and see Fittonball and the wind tunnel and wonder why I am at the CG.   But I'll be back passionately roaring "Get it forwaaard" or some such minutes later.

And I recall that our unfashionable club (I love us being unfashionable) really did reach the Premier League.  Really did win the League Cup.  And does have a certain reputation, good and bad, amongst other fans who actually go to matches in the EFL.  Costanza's wonderful oral history of the club  Clap has recently helped me to appreciate what a rich experience I have  been privileged to enjoy as an STFC fan.  Through both thick and thin.  It is precious and irreplaceable.  

I once shed a tear for the generations of STFC fans whose support never witnessed the dream of attaining the Premiership.  But we have all had one hell of a journey.  Individual and shared.  We are a special group.  A Phoenix would re-emerge, I'm sure, however hard or comical the journey.  The thought of a future generation enjoying success and glory and roaring on the Town would be enough.

In contrast, the branding of the Premiership and its clubs these days however make support as banal as saying I've always been a BMW man and boasting that my current vehicle won the Car of the Year. award at a motor show.  Or trying to share in the glory when your dream actor/tress wins an Oscar.  All gratifying experiences but all ersatz by comparison.
« Last Edit: Friday, October 2, 2020, 11:37:29 by RedRag » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 11:38:43 »

Giggs starts his run by the half way line.
Absolutely no reason to not cynically take him down there, aside from the fact you can’t get near him.

Yep..I agree with this. Any of that Arsenal side would have taken one for the team and brought him down if they could. Not like they didn't put it about then.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 11:41:16 »

Yep..I agree with this. Any of that Arsenal side would have taken one for the team and brought him down if they could. Not like they didn't put it about then.

That was kind of the point I was making, on that basis Alan O'Brien was a world class player!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 11:49:24 »

My perspective is that of an older fan.

I may have drifted away for several months from time to time in my life.  I sometimes find myself staring, daydreaming at the weather over the downland from the Arkells these days.  My mind might wander off to us winning the Champions League after a shock FA Cup win and qualification for and winning of the Europa Cup.  Loving the despair of the big sponsors and the mainstream media.  I glance back down at the pitch and see Fittonball and the wind tunnel and wonder why I am at the CG.   But I'll be back passionately roaring "Get it forwaaard" or some such minutes later.

And I recall that our unfashionable club (I love us being unfashionable) really did reach the Premier League.  Really did win the League Cup.  And does have a certain reputation, good and bad, amongst other fans who actually go to matches in the EFL.  Costanza's wonderful oral history of the club  Clap has recently helped me to appreciate what a rich experience I have  been privileged to enjoy as an STFC fan.  Through both thick and thin.  It is precious and irreplaceable. 

I once shed a tear for the generations of STFC fans whose support never witnessed the dream of attaining the Premiership.  But we have all had one hell of a journey.  Individual and shared.  We are a special group.  A Phoenix would re-emerge, I'm sure, however hard or comical the journey.  The thought of a future generation enjoying success and glory and roaring on the Town would be enough.

In contrast, the branding of the Premiership and its clubs these days however make support as banal as saying I've always been a BMW man and boasting that my current vehicle won the Car of the Year. award at a motor show.  Or trying to share in the glory when your dream actor/tress wins an Oscar.  All gratifying experiences but all ersatz by comparison.
That's brilliantly put, RedRag
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #102 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 12:01:00 »

Well said RedRag.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 12:30:46 »

That was kind of the point I was making, on that basis Alan O'Brien was a world class player!

He was in that Exeter home gane Cool
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Friday, October 2, 2020, 12:31:26 »

So, how/why do clubs, including our own, still go about their business as if nothing had changed?

I honestly don’t get it. I thought a few clubs would have gone bust by now.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: