Pages: 1 ... 558 559 560 [561] 562 563 564 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188480 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8400 on: Sunday, August 1, 2021, 12:23:29 »

bloody hell flash.

try and stay safe mate.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #8401 on: Sunday, August 1, 2021, 15:08:25 »

Not long back from a 3 day break to Covent Garden in London and it was like it was pre pandemic, all hustle and bustle, all the bars and cafes busy. Was good to see and be part of. Mask wearing virtual non existent. Stopped at Asda on way back to get a few essentials and noticed a huge shift towards non mask wearing too compared to last weekend, I’d say as much as 70/30 split .
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #8402 on: Sunday, August 1, 2021, 17:25:27 »

Workmate went to Birmingham last weekend on a stag do and said the same.
Tested positive tuesday at home then the same wednesday at the park and ride.
As we spend break times together its 10 days off for me, thru work not the T&T.
Meh
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #8403 on: Sunday, August 1, 2021, 19:15:54 »

I was at westfield white city yesterday. Most were wearing masks and keeping their distance.  The problem is, if not everyone is wearing masks it makes a mockery of the process. Masks only reduce the flow of 'air' not completely stop it.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...

Ignore
« Reply #8404 on: Sunday, August 1, 2021, 19:48:12 »

My sister and her husband have covid. Both double jabbed and quite ill with it. Herd immunity is what we have here in the UK. Plenty more people will die or get long covid yet. It didn't have to be this way.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8405 on: Sunday, August 1, 2021, 19:48:51 »

we don't have herd immunity

I hope they are better soon
Hunk

« Reply #8406 on: Sunday, August 1, 2021, 19:58:36 »

I was at westfield white city yesterday. Most were wearing masks and keeping their distance.  The problem is, if not everyone is wearing masks it makes a mockery of the process. Masks only reduce the flow of 'air' not completely stop it.

When I had covid both my lodgers self isolated with me and neither caught it during that time. Having said that, I religiously went into any room other than my bedroom, which I left twice a day tops, with two masks on and my hands thoroughly sanitised, so it can work on a small scale with a minority strictly doing those two things. But I'd agree that on a larger scale like a shopping centre 'most' probably doesn't cut it.
Hunk

« Reply #8407 on: Sunday, August 1, 2021, 20:24:54 »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/01/is-covid-19-on-the-run-in-the-uk-fall-case-numbers-herd-immunity

This is an interesting read regarding herd immunity. While we aren’t there yet, we may well be approaching. This is taking into account factors such as the Euros and its effect on the ‘pingdemic’ and a general rise in cases, alongside the drop in cases we’ve seen in the last ten or so days. Overall it paints a relatively rosy picture
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #8408 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 08:25:00 »

I don’t get why herd immunity and striving for it appears to be such a bad thing for some. Ultimately herd immunity through a combination of the vaccine and natural antibodies is the only way out of this long term. All other measures only suppress it and delay the inevitable so unless you carry on with the measures forever we’ll never get back to normal.
Flashheart

« Reply #8409 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 09:13:51 »

It's not herd immunity per se that's that people have had a problem with - it's the means that some people were willing to use to achieve it.

But I suspect you knew that already. Strawmen are easier to attack, after all.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #8410 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 13:21:00 »

I don’t get why herd immunity and striving for it appears to be such a bad thing for some. Ultimately herd immunity through a combination of the vaccine and natural antibodies is the only way out of this long term. All other measures only suppress it and delay the inevitable so unless you carry on with the measures forever we’ll never get back to normal.

Well, not really.  Right now that does appear to be the only way out of this because of the faff for the original 3 months that enabled it to become so widespread.  We most certainly never reached herd immunity for SARS-Covid 1, we suppressed the spread.
Hunk

« Reply #8411 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 08:55:50 »

About to start my internal flight from Washington to Atlanta having flown from Heathrow to Washington yesterday. Showed my required documents at Heathrow (proof of Covid recovery, test certificates for my kids etc) but have had to show absolutely nothing to prove either mine or my kid’s Covid status going through customs yesterday or today Stateside. I had about eight pages of things I was told I’d need but we’ve just breezed through it all without requiring any of it. It’s seemed incredibly lax. Might be part of the reason that the US’s Covid comeback seems to stalling
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #8412 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 12:35:17 »

Yes US doesn't have any great effort on checking Covid related things - mainly because it's so disparate over here in terms of providers and documentation I imagine.  Immigration paper though, that's another thing.

Wave at me when you get here.
Hunk

« Reply #8413 on: Tuesday, August 10, 2021, 15:02:37 »

Just got back from the States and I need to have a little rant about the testing:

I had to take a test before I came back, no complaints there. Now that I'm home I have to take a test on day 2, a test to release on day 5 (again I understand the reasoning for that) but then I still have to take another on day 8 even though I'm deemed ok to re enter the world when my day 5 comes back negative (which it will unless I get a false positive). Can somebody explain why I'm safe to leave the house on day 5 but still have to pay for a test 3 days later which, to me, seems utterly pointless? I cannot see the reasoning at all. It didn't cost me too much money but I had to search high and low for the best deals; some testing companies are charging two or three times what I've paid and I'm sure there are plenty that will have been suckered into paying those inflated prices. Seems like this testing regime is open to profiteering at best, a racket at worse. What have I missed that makes this a reasonable way to do things?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 10, 2021, 15:08:00 by Hunk » Logged
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #8414 on: Tuesday, August 10, 2021, 15:17:25 »

What have I missed that makes this a reasonable way to do things?

The death of the welfare state and the victory of ultraliberal capitalism.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 560 [561] 562 563 564 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: