Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1200933 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1410 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 13:08:44 »

OMFG.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #1411 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 13:09:51 »

My nan is high risk. I also have an aunt with bone cancer and an uncle with lymphoma.

I just received a message in FB from another family member. Was fucking dreading opening it. Thankfully it was nothing, but it's going to be that way for some time.

Ignore
« Reply #1412 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 13:14:17 »

If on Facebook, look at the prime minister's latest post and read the comments. We are fucked. Full lockdown now is the only way.
The ignorance and stupidity continues. No other way..just keep everyone indoors except for a strict list. Bring in the army too
Flashheart

« Reply #1413 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 13:15:41 »

Good lord.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1414 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 13:17:04 »

Sometimes I hope natural selection will sort these problems out for themselves, but I know they'll take lots of good people with them. Jesus wept.  Doh

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1415 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 13:32:34 »

Playing devils advocate slightly, but if we think the true number of cases is around 500k (5k reported, assume 100 times that unreported), then that accounts for about 0.7% of the population - you’d assume these would also be more weighted to the major cities, particularly London

That means more than 99% of people currently aren’t able to spread the virus. All the shops are shut. Even if you flout the rules and go out for two or heaven forbid three walks a day, and don’t necessarily give a two meter berth to everyone you pass, then your coming into contact for fractions of seconds with people who are overwhelmingly unlikely to have the virus

I’m not trying to downplay the measures from yesterday, and agree with them completely. Also the numbers will change and infections will increase. I’m not really sure what I’m trying to say, other than for the time being your probably not going to become a massive superspreader if you go outside following the advice

Things get better but they never get good
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1416 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 13:48:38 »

The issue is allowing unbridled spreading - that 0.7% would be 1.4% within a few days, and so on.  It took something like 60+ days for the first 100k people to infected, then 11 for the next 100k, then 4 for the next 100k (Global).  It's that speed of increase that was the problem.  Partial social distancing may have slowed that increase down a little but evidence from Countries who had done that wasn't too promising - at best the increases took a little longer than with no restrictions.

Only a couple of places seem to have much success thus far:

China - complete lockdown, not even allowed to go shopping - probably impossible in most countries
Hong Kong - similar to China, isolated through testing early, now suffering a new outbreak as people returned
South Korea - learned from a 2015 outbreak of MERS that testing and extreme isolation and tracking was needed so acted quickly.  They tested rapidly to identify who had it, they also tracked people's movements through their phones, credit card purchases etc over the past 2 weeks.  They then published that data (not the names, just locations but down to the movie they watched in what cineam, what screen and what seat) to people to identify possible contacts and warn individuals of where to isolate.  They seem to have had quick growth in cases (mostly due to the cult in a single location) but have dampened it much quicker as a result.

We are too late probably to do what South Korea were able to do, we also don't know what happens there if it sparks off again, like in Hong Kong.

China is the closest model to what we are trying now - early signs there are positive, but we just don;t know how long it will last.  We may end-up having several waves of this before we can get a vaccine.  At least if we do get on top of it now we can take the South Korea route instead for the next wave - but that requires accepting a huge invasion of privacy.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1417 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 14:04:30 »

agreed Rob - what we don't know about China (wuhan) is wherever it will all kick off again when they come out of lockdown.

they are going to have to be shit hot at testing, tracing contact with anyone positive and isolating if it does.

that's what effectively controlled the first SARS/MERS.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1418 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 14:05:40 »

What the actual fuck! Stupid old dingbat needs euthanising before her and her ilk kill us all.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #1419 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 14:07:32 »

Doughty doing his bit

https://twitter.com/NHSBSWCCG/status/1242436427905994753?s=19
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1420 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 14:16:47 »

agreed Rob - what we don't know about China (wuhan) is wherever it will all kick off again when they come out of lockdown.

they are going to have to be shit hot at testing, tracing contact with anyone positive and isolating if it does.

that's what effectively controlled the first SARS/MERS.
What the actual fuck! Stupid old dingbat needs euthanising before her and her ilk kill us all.

Well she seemed to be happy enough to die given what she said towards the end of her statement. What an absolute shit flute.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1421 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 14:21:30 »

After last week's shithousery over not wanting his pubs closed, nice to see Tim Wetherspoon keeping up his stiff challenge for "Biggest Shithead of the Coronoavirus Outbreak" title, along with Branson and Mike Ashley, by refusing to pay any of the 40,000 staff who work in his pubs until the govt money comes through at the end of April and telling them to go get a job in Tesco instead:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/23/mps-demand-boris-johnson-puts-uk-lockdown-social-distancing-advice-goes-ignored-12440875/

Hope everyone's taking note of which companies are doing their best to help and which ones are looking to profiteer for when this is all over.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1422 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 14:56:14 »

Bristol, really? I'm shocked  Roll Eyes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-52019720
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1423 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 14:57:42 »

My friend (an NHS worker) said she's been told to keep her ID out of sight as there's been a few attempted muggings. Any NHS workers on here had the same?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1424 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 15:15:04 »

Shouldn't be wearing it outside work anyway. That's just basic common sense.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: