Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188437 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #870 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 09:43:12 »

Well, at least people will have clean bums by the time they eventually catch the virus.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #871 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 09:44:49 »

Just been given the option at work to isolate for 4 weeks due to diabetes and asthma. Obv took it.
Half a dozen others in same boat. Longer off for those with chronic problems. 3 months in some cases.

Luckily get full pay even if ends up being classed as sick. Benefits of working for a government agency I guess ( Post office )

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #872 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 09:45:09 »

that's the problem, and a natural response.

Domino effect isn’t it

...but...I’d really love to know who started the chain reaction. Like literally one person must have thought. This Coronavirus, I might need a lot of toilet roll. So they’ll pick up a few so then someone must have seen this and thought why are they getting so much toilet paper? They must know something I don’t, I better get some too. Then someone has seen these two pick up toilet paper and so on and so forth x100000””
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #873 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 09:48:03 »

Lifted from another forum

‘0.0025974025974026‬%
That is the percentage of people on the planet who have been confirmed as having the coronavirus.

Yes, I understand many countries are deliberately under-reporting their actual numbers so the figure should be higher.

Yes, I am aware that this figure is going to keep increasing until we find a vaccination.

Yes, I am aware that this virus has the ability to contribute to the death of many vulnerable people.

Yes, I am aware that raising awareness and taking it seriously helps prevent the virus from spreading quicker.

And yes, I am aware that certain short-term restrictions can be in our long-term benefit, however........

Does the percentage justify fear mongering in the media every day for about 2 months now?

Does it justify the acts of a bunch of selfish individuals in buying way more things than they need when there is no immediate threat to supply chains?
Does it justify governments restricting freedom of movement within their borders?

Does it justify governments expanding their powers and enforcing other restrictions on their citizens, possibly creating a protocol where any small (potential) crisis now warrants enhanced government power and restriction of freedoms?’
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #874 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 10:01:26 »

Lifted from another forum

‘0.0025974025974026‬%
That is the percentage of people on the planet who have been confirmed as having the coronavirus.

Yes, I understand many countries are deliberately under-reporting their actual numbers so the figure should be higher.

Yes, I am aware that this figure is going to keep increasing until we find a vaccination.

Yes, I am aware that this virus has the ability to contribute to the death of many vulnerable people.

Yes, I am aware that raising awareness and taking it seriously helps prevent the virus from spreading quicker.

And yes, I am aware that certain short-term restrictions can be in our long-term benefit, however........

Does the percentage justify fear mongering in the media every day for about 2 months now?

Does it justify the acts of a bunch of selfish individuals in buying way more things than they need when there is no immediate threat to supply chains?
Does it justify governments restricting freedom of movement within their borders?

Does it justify governments expanding their powers and enforcing other restrictions on their citizens, possibly creating a protocol where any small (potential) crisis now warrants enhanced government power and restriction of freedoms?’

Whilst I agree with much of the sentiment, I find it sad that people saying this kind of thing never seemed to mind all the governments who restrict their citizens' freedoms routinely until it started happening (a) a bit closer to home, (b) in the interest of public safety and (c) as a temporary measure.

One good thing that could come from all of this is an awareness of how much of the world is governed and how the lives of many are lived.

But stepping down off that high horse for a moment, I couldn't agree more with the point about media fear mongering, and have been relived at the TV/radio shows and websites which have simply sought to provide straightforward information and answer people's questions. That's exactly the kind of media that is needed right now.
Flashheart

« Reply #875 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 10:02:06 »

Is this person aware of what is happening in Italy?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #876 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 10:05:27 »

They've also known for weeks that the NHS is seriously ill-prepared through lack of staff, PPE protection, ventilators and testing.

Incompetence,  or something more sinister, I really can't decide.
You can't just turn round a decade of deep austerity cuts in a matter of weeks.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #877 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 10:07:55 »

I wonder how many lives have been saved by the huge reduction in pollution since this started?

So, just what are the conditions when things will be allowed to return to some sort of normality? Will it be a phased introduction of freedom of movement or a complete blanket ‘get back to normal’ mandate?
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 10:12:11 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #878 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 10:21:19 »

I can’t see an issue going to a pub which has less than 20 people in it. If you feel ill, stay at home. I am hoping to go to sit in the beer garden on Saturday. Weather looks good for it.
1) People have tested positive for the virus without displaying symptoms so not feeling ill is no guarantee you're not spreading it
2) 10s of thousands of people will die from this (the CMO's "best hope" is "only" 20,000 deaths). People you know and care about will die. How many is down to how quickly the virus spreads. How quickly the virus spreads is down to people's behaviour. Like not doing stupid shit like going to a pub with "less than 20 people" in it that will all spread the virus not just to each other but to everyone else they have contact with
3) If the virus spreads quickly it will overwhelm the NHS, that will probably happen very quickly due to a decade of underfunding. At that point, people will start to die not just of coronavirus but because they can't get in intensive care for heart attacks, chronic diseases etc
4) If you think you won't get affected because you're not in a high risk group, in the US 40% of cases hospitalised are in the 20-54 age bracket. At the moment, they're largely not dying because there are enough intensive care beds and ventilators to go round. Once this thing peaks, there won't be. Then those people will start doing too because they can't be treated. Even if you are one of the wankers who think the old and sick are expendable because "I'm all right Jack", it's not just old people who will die from this.
5) If you find the current "social distancing" irksome, you're going to really hate a full lockdown when you literally won't be allowed out of your house unless you're a key worker or getting supplies (and possibly not even for that if they can sort out home deliveries). That will become necessary if people like you continue to do stupid shit like going to a pub with less than 20 people in it.

We are not islands, isolated from each other. We are all connected and how we behave affects everyone. If we make sensible choices and act like we are all responsible for each other we can limit the impact of this thing. If we act like selfish wankers, we're all going to be going to a lot of funerals, explaining to grieving families how it's all overhyped, it's just a bit of flu really and there's no reason to stop behaving like we are the only people who matter.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #879 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 10:33:02 »

One of my colleague's building management companies has just informed them that they intend to raise service charges by 105%. The letter was dated yesterday.

What spectacular cuntery.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #880 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 10:39:57 »

Letter from Sky just landed on the doormat. They're quick to recognize that thousands of people are about to be stuck in their homes for an extended period and so have increased the TV subscriptions from 1 April.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #881 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 10:55:57 »

Well said pauld.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #882 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 10:57:30 »

Letter from Sky just landed on the doormat. They're quick to recognize that thousands of people are about to be stuck in their homes for an extended period and so have increased the TV subscriptions from 1 April.
TBF this increase was announced 2 months ago and our price increase letter came 2 weeks ago before this mass isolation started happening.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #883 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 10:57:41 »

Well said pauld.
Concurred.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #884 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 11:00:58 »

Had mine through at the end of Feb.
Much as it pains me to be fair to them I suspect that it's a planned increase that's been in the pipeline for a while.
Maybe they could hold fire for 3 months, particularly as the sports channels are having to delve into the archives at the moment.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: