Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1195723 times)

Ignore
« Reply #810 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 20:38:55 »

Outrageous that the EU force our lorry drivers to eat Mexican food!

Now that I would have no problem with. Arriba!

Do you drive a V8 Scania with a  frilly pelmet   :gay:

No
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #811 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 20:39:31 »

I'm "panicking buying" (stockpiling) my own money whilst I still can.

I had to lay off someone via a consultation process a couple of weeks ago, due to general economic pressures. None of us thought it would be this bad, what a shit time to be out of work.

I feel sorry for everyone already affected , it's a matter of circumstance but some of the reactive decisions haven't been clear and/or haven't been good.

Hopefully the test to detect antibodies is ready soon and widely available. I think the unavailability of testing has been a massive contributor to the situation.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #812 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 21:13:46 »

With many ignoring the advice not to go to the pub, I expect matters will be moved from strongly advise to havent got a choice with everything shut down apart from food shops and pharmacies by Friday night.

surely this is unenforceable especially in rural areas. il be going to work on my own as normal on a midweek in a shutdown or not.

if a customer calls up and wants to come in what do I do. every work place is different and a blanket ban I cant get my head around. I'm currently having a house built, most tradesman can and do work on there own and if they have the materials and supplies should they stop?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #813 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 21:14:34 »

My 2 kids also affected as they have just had GCSEs and A levels cancelled and will now be at home for probably 5-6 months and can't even get a summer job or go bowling.   Daughter has no idea which uni she will end up in or even how that will be decided or if she has to repeat the year.

It is a unique situation but the balance in my opinion has swung too far, too fast.

I work for one of the big exam boards. The news this evening that the summer session has been cancelled will be devastating for our business. I wait to see how bad this gets, but it could well mean hundreds of redundancies.

What times we’re living in.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #814 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 21:19:41 »

surely this is unenforceable especially in rural areas. il be going to work on my own as normal on a midweek in a shutdown or not.

if a customer calls up and wants to come in what do I do. every work place is different and a blanket ban I cant get my head around. I'm currently having a house built, most tradesman can and do work on there own and if they have the materials and supplies should they stop?

We’re on shutdown in France. You can’t go out without carrying a printed certificate saying you’re on one of five authorised purposes. If something similar comes to the UK, you won’t come and go as you like, and you won’t be getting a house built any time soon.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #815 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 21:22:56 »

sorry to hear that RF/pookemon.

frog - UK exam board?
---
My son is also in GCSE limbo. He's not overly academic, but he surprised me by being pissed off. guess he just wanted to get it done given the build up.

fuck knows how they resolve this.

mocks an indicator I suppose but many do better for the reals.

Teacher assessment far too variable and hardly standardised.

repeat the year isn't going to sit well.

like everything, there is no obvious right answer ...

I know it's pretty far down the list in the grand scheme of things.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #816 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 21:23:21 »

We took the decision today to make immediate redundancies and shorten working week after an 80% drop in orders and our major customers told us that everything was on hold for the foreseeable future.   The govt money won't be enough or arrive fast enough - you can't apply for it yet and it's a loan.   There will be alot of businesses in the same boat.
 If it goes on for months will there be anything left apart from Netflix!

Boris said today that he wants to minimise suffering but has the loss of jobs, recession and increases in debt and mental health problems been factored in.

My 2 kids also affected as they have just had GCSEs and A levels cancelled and will now be at home for probably 5-6 months and can't even get a summer job or go bowling.   Daughter has no idea which uni she will end up in or even how that will be decided or if she has to repeat the year.

It is a unique situation but the balance in my opinion has swung too far, too fast.

Italy had 475 deaths in a single day - a run rate that would equate to over 150k deaths in a year, without it growing, as it has been.  That is the data that is spooking everyone into taking action.

You only need to look at China to see one way out of this (hopefully) and that way is far beyond what is being done so far in the Western world.

The hope is another model comes about that avoids the China approach being needed.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #817 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 21:24:14 »

With many ignoring the advice not to go to the pub, I expect matters will be moved from strongly advise to havent got a choice with everything shut down apart from food shops and pharmacies by Friday night.

I can’t see an issue going to a pub which has less than 20 people in it. If you feel ill, stay at home. I am hoping to go to sit in the beer garden on Saturday. Weather looks good for it.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #818 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 21:26:40 »

but 1- 3% mortality and a best worst case of  70% infection out the numbers of deaths at a very large number indeed. and they've been stating those figures for a while.

I guess they thought they could change them, or that in fact Italy has shown that the threat isn't theoretical but it's happening despite their measured
woolster

« Reply #819 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 21:27:58 »

do you need a plasterer Cheesy,
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #820 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 21:28:52 »

Italy, unfortunately, is doing a good job at giving everyone a heads-up, that the data modelling was pretty accurate, and they've taken many of the steps we are now considering!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #821 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 21:30:03 »

Quote from: Sippo
I can’t see an issue going to a pub which has less than 20 people in it. If you feel ill, stay at home. I am hoping to go to sit in the beer garden on Saturday. Weather looks good for it.

1. it only takes 1 person to infect
2. they don't know that the disease is only infectious when showing symptoms.

I get the temptation. That's why if the government wants to do what it says it can't be left in our hands and must force closures. Which will ruin many people
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #822 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 21:30:13 »

sorry to hear that RF/pookemon.

frog - UK exam board?
---
My son is also in GCSE limbo. He's not overly academic, but he surprised me by being pissed off. guess he just wanted to get it done given the build up.

fuck knows how they resolve this.

mocks an indicator I suppose but many do better for the reals.

Teacher assessment far too variable and hardly standardised.

repeat the year isn't going to sit well.

like everything, there is no obvious right answer ...

I know it's pretty far down the list in the grand scheme of things.

Yep, Edexcel. I agree, if this year’s grades are decided on mocks and teacher evaluations, then the Class of 2020 will always be tainted with a stigma of partiality. A huge amount of science goes into calibrating fair and equitable exam questions, marking schemes and grade boundaries. Imagine if instead of that, your future hung on the appreciation of Mr Jones, head of Year 10...

kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #823 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 21:30:20 »

I dont think you will have the option Sippo - unless it's your garden of course!! My advice would be to stack up on booze for the house, as that could become the next bog roll!!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #824 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 21:31:19 »

Yep, Edexcel. I agree, if this year’s grades are decided on mocks and teacher evaluations, then the Class of 2020 will always be tainted with a stigma of partiality. A huge amount of science goes into calibrating fair and equitable exam questions, marking schemes and grade boundaries. Imagine if instead of that, your future hung on the appreciation of Mr Jones, head of Year 10...

Welcome to the USA education system!
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: