Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188240 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #720 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 17:38:02 »

Not just China, plenty of countries in the developing world have these kind of live animal markets. And "almost certainly not" is the answer I'd imagine, but you're right they should do
Wasn’t aware it was so widespread. You’d have thought the economic carnage wreaked on China might change attitudes - but I doubt it.

Apparently the pangolin being the source was their blood being let whilst still alive and poured over rice and eaten
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #721 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 17:47:33 »

A good announcement by the government today. Would imagine many pubs etc to close now the government have said they can claim on insurance for doing so

Would the lending of the £330bn likely come with restrictions e.g. has to be linked to expected income or cover a certain percentage of annual/6 monthly payroll??

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #722 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 17:51:15 »

I bet the % of insurance policies that cover pandemics is appallingly low
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #723 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 18:03:39 »

Sunak spoke extremely well, as he did announcing the budget last week (his quip towards McDonnell was superb). He really does make Boris look even more bumbling which is some achievement!

Certainly better than last nights conference, let’s hope for more of the same....
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #724 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 18:08:45 »

UEFA aiming for all European domestic leagues to be completed by 30 June.

Fat chance.
Banker

On The Bank

Ignore
« Reply #725 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 18:11:09 »

Compare and contrast, and this is just the start.

Germany - 8,639 confirmed cases, 23 total deaths.

UK - 1,950 confirmed cases, 71 total deaths.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #726 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 19:23:36 »

Compare and contrast, and this is just the start.

Germany - 8,639 confirmed cases, 23 total deaths.

UK - 1,950 confirmed cases, 71 total deaths.
Is there any suggestion as to why the German mortality rate should be so much lower than ours?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #727 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 19:35:27 »

Is there any suggestion as to why the German mortality rate should be so much lower than ours?

Testing?? You’d imagine the Germans with their efficiency and all have done a lot more testing than we have?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 19:47:03 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #728 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 19:56:33 »

Hope there's support in there for folks on zero hours contracts as well. A lot of those people are on the edge anyway and foodbanks are already struggling to cope.
Apparently nothing for people on zero hours contracts, and help for mortgages but not those falling behind on rent. That's disappointing, leaving aside the morality of not helping the most vulnerable economically, it also means people with symptoms are likely to be faced with a choice of going to work anyway or losing their home. Which isn't going to help contain this thing. I hope this is wrong and it turns out there will be help for the zero hours workers and renters.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #729 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 20:01:05 »

Testing?? You’d imagine the Germans with their efficiency and all have done a lot more testing than we have?

Yep, with it possible up to 50,000 around the UK have the disease, the death rate is pretty low.
The NHS have only been testing people in hospitals and not those with mild symptoms, so the death rate will look higher that way.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 20:36:04 by Quagmire » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #730 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 20:07:33 »

Apparently nothing for people on zero hours contracts, and help for mortgages but not those falling behind on rent. That's disappointing, leaving aside the morality of not helping the most vulnerable economically, it also means people with symptoms are likely to be faced with a choice of going to work anyway or losing their home. Which isn't going to help contain this thing. I hope this is wrong and it turns out there will be help for the zero hours workers and renters.

The optimistic view on this is that these are harder problems that they'll need to work out a little more - an enforced mortgage holiday costs the banks who the government can just directly support/offer a few knighthoods to board members to mollify. Rent controls or banning evictions are just simply more complicated policies with more nuance required, which is obviously difficult to do in a crisis. I'd expect measure for these people to follow in the next few days - the mood music of the announcement was very much nobody left behind, even though I agree detail in these areas would be hugely beneficial.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #731 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 20:09:05 »

Seems they think it is either early testing  - they started in January - or pure luck, with a higher proportion of the infected being of younger age.  Maybe a combination of the two.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #732 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 20:11:24 »

Yep, with it possible up to 50,000 around the UK have the disease, the death rate is pretty low.
The NHS have only been testing people in hospitals and not those with mild symptoms, so then death rate will look higher that way.
Good point, thanks chaps
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #733 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 20:12:01 »

The optimistic view on this is that these are harder problems that they'll need to work out a little more - an enforced mortgage holiday costs the banks who the government can just directly support/offer a few knighthoods to board members to mollify. Rent controls or banning evictions are just simply more complicated policies with more nuance required, which is obviously difficult to do in a crisis. I'd expect measure for these people to follow in the next few days - the mood music of the announcement was very much nobody left behind, even though I agree detail in these areas would be hugely beneficial.
Let's hope so.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #734 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 20:21:17 »

Im still so angry I didnt watch.  I take it there was a massive amount of support for the self employed.

Never knowingly overstated.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: