Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188869 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 10:09:41 »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/swindontownfcfans/permalink/2453283204923916/

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18268348.parent-tells-coronavirus-concerns-handshake-policy-goddard-park/

Jesus. Fucking. Wept. Self-isolation is clearly the only answer for people like these. They should be encouraged to lock themselves in their houses and not come out. Ever.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 11:23:01 »

TBF  If it went to epic proportions in the UK I could see football postponements. Rugby have already done it for the Italy six nations games.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 11:28:38 »

TBF  If it went to epic proportions in the UK I could see football postponements. Rugby have already done it for the Italy six nations games.

UAE Tour also gone pop, mid race.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 11:57:16 »

TBF  If it went to epic proportions in the UK I could see football postponements. Rugby have already done it for the Italy six nations games.
Yes of course. But "Sounds like a very good chance the season could end this weekend. Tomorrow could be the last game.." is just twattery.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 12:11:42 »

Spot on 4D. We had the same panic over both of those

Yep. Yet how many people in the UK (honestly) heard of or remembers MERS when it happened. Not to get into a "numbers" debate but that had a CFR of 34.4% Roll Eyes

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 13:05:58 »

MERS' mortality rate is one of the reasons containment was possible, same for Ebola & SARS.  High mortality rates combined with severe illness to most patients means they do not interact with others so freely.  That why this one has the "potential" to be a threat - a higher mortality rate (or so it seems based on what data is available so far) but still a very low one overall which means people are more likely to contract and pass on.

The reality is it doesn't even have to be a global event with high deaths to create a problem worthy of reporting - it already has due to the location of the original outbreak.  Supply chains have already been impacted, profits will be taking a hit right now, it's the economic impact this one will be remembered for, even if it goes on to be well contained.
Flashheart

« Reply #81 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 13:19:40 »

The rhetoric from those that know about this stuff seems to be shifting towards inevitability.

We've had our first Brit casualty, apparently. 
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 13:24:55 »

Those who lurk in the corridors of power across the globe might not be overly upset if a significant percentage of over 80's for example were lost to the virus. This one or the next one. It matters not.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 13:31:00 »

Those who lurk in the corridors of power across the globe might not be overly upset if a significant percentage of over 80's for example were lost to the virus. This one or the next one. It matters not.

They would in the UK, that's their powerbase!

We've had our first Brit casualty, apparently. 

We have albeit not in the UK.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 13:49:17 »

They would in the UK, that's their powerbase!
Not only that, Priti Patel's relying on them to gather in the harvest and work in the care homes looking after themselves!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 13:55:27 »

I've been wondering whether someone can sit Trump down in front of a TV and pop World War Z on, pretend it's news coverage and see if it changes his view on the effectiveness of big walls.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 14:47:28 »

I've been wondering whether someone can sit Trump down in front of a TV and pop World War Z on, pretend it's news coverage and see if it changes his view on the effectiveness of big walls.

Close the thread. I could see him doing a press conference off the back of it. Maybe show him Cloverfield too and explain that it's footage recovered from the camera of a deceased witness. 28 Days Later would work too but he may recognise Christopher Eccleston as "isn't he that Dr dude?! I like him. Very intelligent. I would like him as my doctor."

'Incessant Nonsense'

Flashheart

« Reply #87 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 18:23:08 »

I would not be surprised if some games are played behind closed doors. WHO have declared their highest emergency level now - albeit without declaring a pandemic.

I'm not sure how that works TBH, surely it would have to be a pandemic at least to be the highest level?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 18:49:38 »

Work colleagues are now gleefully preparing for the inevitable quarantine once the first confirmed case in Bristol emerges.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 19:06:56 »

I'm not sure how that works TBH, surely it would have to be a pandemic at least to be the highest level?

I thought that too. Maybe it has to be ranked at the highest level for a sustained period until it is deemed a pandemic.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: