Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Scunthorpe pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 113752 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 12:25:56 »

Would you give him another contract?
Hmm, difficult one. I like him and chuffed with how he's improved. But does he make enough of an impact to command a regular start? And if not, is he really going to be happy with continuing to be used as an impact sub? It's a role he's good at, but I'd have thought for his own sake, he'd want more than that.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 12:35:04 »

Nutshell:
- useless for two seasons
- massively improved but still very flawed this season
- on balance a key part of getting us top of the league
- for whatever reason looks a cert to leave on July 1st so Wellens won’t waste appearances on him
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 12:43:46 »

Very disappointing player for me ref the Fee we paid.

Has all the stuff in the locker, if only you could install a footballing brain....so frustrating. Shoots when he should cross and passes when he should shoot.

Plymouth away a classic....tore the defender a new arsehole when he came on put in some good crosses but could of easily scored but dwelt on the ball and the chance was gone!

I think he will be off (whatever happens) and i wish him the best of luck.
Agree with most of that, a really frustrating player to watch because he clearly has talent, but the Plymouth game was the best I've seen Woolery play and I don't recall the chance you are referring to. Watching the game live, the only "chance" that I thought he should have scored was from a corner (I think) when the goalie just nudged the ball past him......but, watching it again on the TV highlights, it wasn't as easy a chance as it looked live. Doyle misses a much easier one - set up by Woolery. 
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 12:49:10 »

His raw physicality gets him through league 2 games and he is complemented by a good team around him. Its not as easy to do that league one. Though players like Kayden Jackson are stealing a living so i'm sure Kayne could as well, just doubt it will be with us.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 13:03:30 »

Would you give him another contract?

Nope. Don't really see the improvement either.

What I would say is that I said the same about Anderson last year/pre-season, and he looked good (much improved) before injury.

Good luck to him. Hopefully he'll be a good signing for someone else.
Flashheart

« Reply #500 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 13:09:19 »

I want Woolery to be able to make the step up, but I can't see it happening.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 13:34:00 »

Personally I don't see what Wellens sees in Hope yet, yes hes scored a couple but he has looked well off the pace when he has played.

I suspect Hope was bought under the impression that Doyle, Yates or even both were not going to come back, thus he is already rather superfluous to requirements this season as he isn't going to get a game with them here.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 13:46:13 »

Who did he go and watch 5 a side??

https://twitter.com/Official_STFC/status/1235150493548253186
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 13:48:31 »

Must be Ginginho #GingerUnion
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 13:59:27 »

One minor moan about last night (apologies if it's already been mentioned, not scrolling back thru 34 pages), but the goal music seems to have been pushed up to earsplitting level in the Don Rogers and now lasts about twice as long as it used to. Don't mind an initial burst of goal music, but when it's that loud and goes on that long it completely obliterates fans celebrating.
REDBUCK

« Reply #505 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 14:08:34 »

Right there is why forced mood music should be discontinued during  football matches.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 14:15:44 »

One minor moan about last night (apologies if it's already been mentioned, not scrolling back thru 34 pages), but the goal music seems to have been pushed up to earsplitting level in the Don Rogers and now lasts about twice as long as it used to. Don't mind an initial burst of goal music, but when it's that loud and goes on that long it completely obliterates fans celebrating.

In the town end you cant hear it as the speakers cut out after 2 second.  I only knew who scored the first when the fans started singing 'Ginger Pele'.

Never knowingly overstated.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 14:36:07 »

Agree with most of that, a really frustrating player to watch because he clearly has talent, but the Plymouth game was the best I've seen Woolery play and I don't recall the chance you are referring to. Watching the game live, the only "chance" that I thought he should have scored was from a corner (I think) when the goalie just nudged the ball past him......but, watching it again on the TV highlights, it wasn't as easy a chance as it looked live. Doyle misses a much easier one - set up by Woolery. 

It was when he raced through and dallied instead of shooting and was crowded out!

Clems Army!
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 15:03:25 »

I haven't read back - for me the key thing last might was that although we struggled against a very defensive team (almost a 9-1 formation first half - I think the modern idiom is "low block" ) we kept trying to move the ball around and ultimately made the breakthrough - as I have said about some previous games, this current squad / team find a way to win when Brown's / Flitcroft's teams would probably have drawn.
In the first half particularly we didn't move the ball quickly enough - we missed having Lyden and Hunt (who are both very good at playing one touch passes) available. We still managed to create a couple of chances, and the goal was a good turn by DJ and Doyle's stretch to direct the header was brilliant. Second half we largely controlled, and probably should have had more than one goal. There was a shift in our formation second half, with Fryers pushing further forward and also subbing Isgrove freed up space for Caddis to do likewise.
Doughty was outstanding in the second half, and Fryers  very good. Benda again demonstrated with his footwork, handling and one diving save that he is an outstanding keeper (better than Foderingham in my view, but I am sure others won't agree -  as they are entitled to do).
Only 5 more wins should be enough for top 3 now!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 15:36:01 »

Nope. Don't really see the improvement either.

What I would say is that I said the same about Anderson last year/pre-season, and he looked good (much improved) before injury.

Good luck to him. Hopefully he'll be a good signing for someone else.

Anderson seems to have been given a role to play which has really helped him.  The pressure is off a little on scoring but he seems to have been told to go and get on the ball and try and make stuff happen.  It suits him.  As good as DJ has been, I think he suits that role a little better at the moment and when fit should be starting.  I think Doyle has enabled this transition to some extent, as well as Yates.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: