Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Scunthorpe pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 113772 times)
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 10:38:37 »

Well if you are looking at presented evidence Woolery has basically been consistently gash since we signed him and Hope hasn't exactly pulled up any trees in his appearances (although he has scored a couple).

I think these discussions are positive however in the strength of depth we have in the squad, especially up front where we are blessed with players who offer different attributes.

In previous years we haven't had any strength in depth at all and the bench has always looked terrible.

That is why i highlighted the two players from last night because of all the attacking strength on the bench and the options available i think different choices could have been made.

On the flip side of that Wellens may have bought admiral on pure and simple for experience and minutes due to being 2 ni and comfortable. had we have needed a goal i would have hoped (no pun) either of the other two would have been first choice in his thinking.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #481 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 10:39:22 »

we aren't allowed an opinion

You're allowed an opinion, just the same as everyone else is allowed to think your opinion is stupid.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 10:42:43 »

Jog on? Really?

All I am saying is that I think you are harshly judging what Muskwe can do given his lack of gametime. Not sure your Akinfenwa comparison is accurate either but of course you are welcome to your opinion as I presume I am?

If only you had only mentioned that instead of the dismissive "And with all due respect to your possibly endless footballing knowledge". lets move on
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #483 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 10:46:53 »

I have watched every minute Muskwe has played for Swindon so far and he is raw, he has obvious talent but every time he has played he has been played out of his natural position as a wide striker/winger, which he himself said in an interview that he is not, but he is desperate to take his chance in league football for the first time.

3 mins vs Exeter, when he hardly touched the ball, 24 mins vs Carlisle when he looked handy and created a couple of chances, 13 mins vs Grimsby when he looked a real handful and 29 mins last night when he ran around a lot but misplaced a few passes and didn't look a threat.

Its unfair to fully judge him until we have seen him play from the start and in his natural position.

He has played a total of 69 minutes of league football so far, but for me he has shown enough glimpses that he has talent and pace, its a massive step up from U23 football to league 2 and Wellens is bedding him in gently.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #484 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 11:01:18 »

If only you had only mentioned that instead of the dismissive "And with all due respect to your possibly endless footballing knowledge". lets move on

Fair enough, that comment was uncalled for by me, it was meant to be light-hearted but I apologise as it does appear to be quite cunty Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 11:24:51 »

So why is everyone jumping on the comment like I have said something outrageous? I wrote loads about last night. some people just want an argument when there isn't one to be had.

You'll need to get used to it, if you make a reasoned argument on here.... I'm surprised your comment hasn't been shunted off into another thread with an abusive title.

FWIW I'd say Admiral is a Jan window punt..... a bit like Ben House last season.  We managed to get from August to Jan with effectively only 2 proper front men in the squad, conventional wisdom would say you need some cover or bench use for your strikers... so need 4 at least in a squad.  Having got into the mix we've now got the required numbers in.  As a punt it might come off it might not.... if Admiral could score say  3 goals by season''s end he'll be doing OK.  Hope already has 2, one very important so is on track to be considered a squad success.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 11:31:42 »

You have to trust what Wellens is seeing in training for the most part.

Factor in that Woolery was set to leave on deadline day until it fell through (and will presumably leave in the summer) whilst we may fancy having Muskwe on a season long deal next yr

I agree with this.

Its a shame things haven't really worked out for Woolery, especially given we paid a reported 350k for him (that may not be accurate). He has improved certain attributes, he is much better in the air, still has searing pace etc but his finishing and decision making remains patchy at best.

I think Keshi has improved more than Kayne personally.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 11:33:07 »

You'll need to get used to it, if you make a reasoned argument on here.... I'm surprised your comment hasn't been shunted off into another thread with an abusive title.

Girl Giggle
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 11:44:24 »

FWIW I'd say Admiral is a Jan window punt..... a bit like Ben House last season.  We managed to get from August to Jan with effectively only 2 proper front men in the squad, conventional wisdom would say you need some cover or bench use for your strikers... so need 4 at least in a squad.  Having got into the mix we've now got the required numbers in.  As a punt it might come off it might not.... if Admiral could score say  3 goals by season''s end he'll be doing OK.  Hope already has 2, one very important so is on track to be considered a squad success.

I'm still unconvinced with Hope and although he's scored a couple of crucial goals and he may score a few more before the seasons out I've not yet seen enough to convince me he would be league one standard but I may be wrong!

So, give no fucks
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 11:47:24 »

I agree with this.

Its a shame things haven't really worked out for Woolery, especially given we paid a reported 350k for him (that may not be accurate). He has improved certain attributes, he is much better in the air, still has searing pace etc but his finishing and decision making remains patchy at best.

Not seen much of Keshi this year but he seems to have come on leaps and bounds... looked like a player who didn't know his best position in previous years, flattering to deceive more often than not. Perhaps being transfer listed was exactly what he needed as motivatino to kick on.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 11:56:44 »

Completely agree Keshi has kicked on more, but one area I don't think Woollery gets enough credit for is in the "assists for assists" (e.g. knockdown headers to play someone in etc) - he has shown an ability this season to unlock games where we're getting snarled up by coming on and offering something different. You're right he isn't getting the goals he perhaps should and he hasn't kicked on in the way Keshi has, but there is improvement there. He is being useful whereas in previous seasons there was very little end product.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 12:00:42 »

Completely agree Keshi has kicked on more, but one area I don't think Woollery gets enough credit for is in the "assists for assists" (e.g. knockdown headers to play someone in etc) - he has shown an ability this season to unlock games where we're getting snarled up by coming on and offering something different. You're right he isn't getting the goals he perhaps should and he hasn't kicked on in the way Keshi has, but there is improvement there. He is being useful whereas in previous seasons there was very little end product.

not just assists for assists but also assists! 2 goals and 7 assists in 20 starts.

compare that to isgrove 0 goals and 5 assists in 24 starts. (all 5 in first 7 games)

the change in his heading ability is incredible.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 12:13:28 »

Would you give him another contract?

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #493 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 12:17:42 »

Woolery has really worked on his heading this season and I think he looks our best attacking threat now to high balls played into the box, his long throw are also an asset at times, his pace has always been good but its his decision making that the problem, if he improves his crossing he will be a good player in this league or L1.

He has lost his way a bit since Hope came in though and is unlucky to have lost his place to Isgrove but Isgrove was brilliant last night and a constant threat down the right with Caddis, his best game in months.

I would like to keep Woolery but feel he may move on in the Summer, hes a good impact sub and he does have a lot of assists to his name.

Personally I don't see what Wellens sees in Hope yet, yes hes scored a couple but he has looked well off the pace when he has played.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 12:24:09 »

I agree with this.

Very disappointing player for me ref the Fee we paid.

Has all the stuff in the locker, if only you could install a footballing brain....so frustrating. Shoots when he should cross and passes when he should shoot.

Plymouth away a classic....tore the defender a new arsehole when he came on put in some good crosses but could of easily scored but dwelt on the ball and the chance was gone!

I think he will be off (whatever happens) and i wish him the best of luck.

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: