Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What other club do we remind you of?  (Read 8270 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 15:06:17 »

I reckon over half our first team returning may help

It may, yet we had what looked like a first 11 v Burton and that looked no nearer being anywhere near good enough.

No doubt the absences have compounded the underlying problems.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 15:13:23 »

I reckon over half our first team returning and being motivated so they play like they give a flying fuck! may help

Completed for you!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 09:11:47 »

Oxford.1 league cup win,one season in the top flight,constant yo-yoing between the bottom 2 divisions.similar fan base and hate our biggest rivals.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
adje

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 09:14:44 »

....oh and both only use 3 sides of their ground (mainly)

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 09:22:42 »

Oxford.1 league cup win,one season in the top flight,constant yo-yoing between the bottom 2 divisions.similar fan base and hate our biggest rivals.

I wouldn't call twice in 28 years constant.

Also Oxford's yo yo hasn't come back up for 15 years.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 09:25:23 »

Poetic licence!

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 10:37:56 »

I disagree, we're about in the right place....the clubs you mention as having a smaller fanbase than ours, it's only marginal.  What the three you quote have in common, is other larger clubs on their doorstep as direct competition, that their gates hold up so well is remarkable and to their credit. 

Our competition of course comes from the indirect TV Prem stuff, which has left us with a largely ageing and consequently diminishing hardcore.

The key question for us going forward will be the need to stabilise in Div 4. The only season where we've been around the bottom rungs of Div 4 was 83/84 and then there was no direct relegation, nevertheless both Oxford and Rovers have shown what can happen when you don't get things right.

Oldham's new stand has been funded by the Council - they purchased some land from Oldham and lent the remainder to them in return for the money being ring fenced for redevelopment of the ground.  It's taken 7 years since they pulled down the old stand.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 10:40:21 »

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Port-Vale-Valiants-25-year-lease-Vale-Park-Norman/story-26695336-detail/story.html
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 10:42:04 »

http://www.theguardian.com/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2011/mar/30/walsall-stadium-sale
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 11:10:52 »

Its just a pity that the initial years of the Black era were marred by useless managerial appointments, I think if that had been got right and someone decent come in at the time of Malpas, we would have moved forward

Indeed. Of all the great alternative history’s of Swindon you could pen (what would have happened if Charlie hadn’t hit that bobble, what would have happened if Hoddle had stayed, what would have happened if we hadn’t been demoted in 1990, etc etc) I think one of the most compelling ones, is what would have happened if Sturrock hadn’t left when he did (within weeks of the Fitton takeover)

Yes it was far from pretty, but he’d got us out of League 2, and on the cusp of the League 1 play offs the following season when the club was a basket case without a pot to piss in.

With Black (and in those days Arbibs) cash, and the degree of calm Fitton bought, I think he could have got us into the Championship within a couple of seasons. Once there, you suspect he’d have struggled (he always did out of the lower leagues) but we’d have been in a much better position to recruit his replacement than we were in 2007/8.

Plus the CG redevelopment, oft muted but never acted on, would have been more likely with a few years of second tier football under our belt.

All speculation of course, but it does feel that the footballing fates have conspired to keep us down here over the last decade or so.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 11:13:25 »

Oldham's new stand has been funded by the Council - they purchased some land from Oldham and lent the remainder to them in return for the money being ring fenced for redevelopment of the ground.  It's taken 7 years since they pulled down the old stand.

Interesting stuff....it may have taken a while, but at least Oldham have got somewhere. It was 10 years ago that Justin Tomlinson could tell the TEF this...

I am the Councillor who has been leading on the County Ground redevelopment, so if you have any questions I am happy to answer them.

For some reason Mr Tomlinson seems to be more interested in Supermarine these days  Wink

PV and Saddlers stories reveal that they are similar to us, having to employ creative methods, to keep football running, which look a bit open to abuse by the unscrupulous.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 18:06:28 »

Crewe at the moment.

Sell...survive....sell.....survive

Clems Army!
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 18:25:43 »

I like the Oxford suggestion, but I've always compared us to Rovers.
Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 18:28:42 »

Level 3

We're heading down at the moment but once there there is the opportunity to head back up.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2015, 18:36:02 »

Level 3

We're heading down at the moment but once there there is the opportunity to head back up.

Long as it's not the Brunel Rooms, decent enough in its time but then closed down, after a failed come back under dodgy new owners.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: