Pages: 1 ... 893 894 895 [896] 897 898 899 ... 907   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2186357 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13425 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 03:54:29 »

Disappointing lack of big names going but Rees Mogg is a delightful one. Rumours that Truss is going too...
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13426 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 05:39:26 »

Off you fuck Truss! That was the moment.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #13427 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 06:14:09 »

Trying to put the voting into perspective as people get caught up in just the seats, but people voted as follows:

Labour 9 million+
Tory 6 million +
Reform 3.8 million
Lib Dem 3.1 million
4D
That was definately my last game, honest

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13428 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 06:27:09 »

Turnout was only around 60% in Swindon, down 5% on last time. Forage in Parliament is amusing  Grin
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #13429 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 06:35:44 »

Curious about your election.  From the results I see.   Does this mean the labor party will have very little to stop them from whatever agenda they wish to push forward?   Seems like an overwhelming majority to pass laws
Cowley38

Ignore
« Reply #13430 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 06:45:15 »

Curious about your election.  From the results I see.   Does this mean the labor party will have very little to stop them from whatever agenda they wish to push forward?   Seems like an overwhelming majority to pass laws

Basically yes.

However with only 35% of the vote-which is the lowest every vote share for a government doesn't really represent the people..
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #13431 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 07:01:01 »

Basically yes.

However with only 35% of the vote-which is the lowest every vote share for a government doesn't really represent the people..

Not sure I understand why the labor party would only have 35% of vote with their overwhelming majority of seats, I assume that is what they won, in parliament. Is there another faction of government they has a vote in laws being passed?   We do have 2 houses in America that can counter each other but if one party wins both houses and has the president as well.  They can do whatever they want
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13432 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 07:09:14 »

This is absolutely true but it's also not fair, if that makes sense - people know we have first past the post and vote accordingly. You can't just say that the voting percentages would have been the same if we had PR and everyone could vote for their genuine first preference. People will have voted Lib Dem to beat the Tories, or Labour to beat the SNP in Scotland when they might have a totally different preferred party.

As for Godd's point - essentially all our governments have much more power than any US president as our system produces majorities most of the time and all policy needs a simple majority only - we don't have a filibuster or anything.

This sort of result is extreme but the vote share for labour isn't unprecedented - Blair got 35% in 2005, Cameron 36% in 2010.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 5, 2024, 07:13:36 by Nemo » Logged
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #13433 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 07:14:16 »

I can see your system could be good or sometimes bad.  Our system if the houses are split or president isn’t same party basically then produces nothing for 4 years. 
Our government with its checks and balances was set up to counter what England had
But it often stops us from moving forward on many many issues
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13434 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 07:15:37 »

Absolutely, one of the pros in our system is it produces a strong government that can act decisively. Conversely, it produces a strong government that can act decisively.

Which one you choose is basically a function of whether you agree with the government of the day.

Those US checks and balances are looking a little wobbly at the moment mind.
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #13435 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 07:27:26 »

Absolutely, one of the pros in our system is it produces a strong government that can act decisively. Conversely, it produces a strong government that can act decisively.

Which one you choose is basically a function of whether you agree with the government of the day.

Those US checks and balances are looking a little wobbly at the moment mind.

What has kinda fucked our system up is the 3rd branch, the Supreme Court has really gotten more involved and possibly over stepped their original purpose.  But since the president appoints them for life , when we had about 4 retire or die at the same time gave trump really a good opportunity to load it with like minded people.  This generally isn’t the case.  Normally they are somewhat split in parties and balance each other    If trump were to win and he was able to get the senate majority. There wouldn’t be much that could stop him in the house. 
4D
That was definately my last game, honest

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13436 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 07:42:45 »

Right, let's see what this lot do. Not gonna hold my breath, can't see things changing dramatically.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #13437 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 07:48:05 »

Can’t see much getting better tbh regardless of who won but it felt a matter of when rather than if Labour won as a natural cycle of swinging to the other side has completed and will swing back to the Tories at some point in the future and so on.

At least with a new set of personnel, there’s more hope of a change but my gut feeling (and realism) makes me feel that we’ll be back in the next 18 months to criticising the new government in the same way we did the last one. The issues currently plaguing the country won’t be magically fixed and we’ll receive more of the same is my prediction.

As proven by the stats floating around of most people voting to get the current government out as opposed to wanting to get the winning government in.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #13438 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 07:51:11 »

I struggle with the American elections, where you vote for a president but the one who gets the most votes doesn’t necessarily win. Even when the Orange twat was elected, he actually got less votes than Clinton (although no talk of a stolen election then).

As for here, the first time since the 1920’s that Devizes doesn’t have a Tory MP (I know it’s partly down to boundary changes) but not something I was expecting in my lifetime.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13439 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 07:52:00 »

Not sure I understand why the labor party would only have 35% of vote with their overwhelming majority of seats, I

Its a bit like the popular vote v electoral vote in the US.
Pages: 1 ... 893 894 895 [896] 897 898 899 ... 907   Go Up
Print
Jump to: