Pages: 1 ... 772 773 774 [775] 776 777 778 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995692 times)
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #11610 on: Friday, September 3, 2021, 15:58:30 »

That assumes that contributions over their lifetimes had been ringfenced...which they won't have been.  I do agree that there is a big (& growing) problem with generational fairness.  But it's fiendishly difficult to address.

There will be a tipping point fairly soon when the generation that missed out on being able to buy a home, for example, reaches the age where they start holding many of the levers of power.  Will be interesting to watch when that happens.
I don't think there's a whole generation that's missed out on buying a home. Certainly home ownership has become less affordable for the masses than it was 30-40 years ago, but those wielding the levers of power are generally the wealthier and more privileged who if anything will be feeling more comfortable in compassion to their peers. Wealth inequality within a generation has grown and it will only get worse in future as impacts of automation start to replace many jobs.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #11611 on: Friday, September 3, 2021, 16:48:04 »

I'm not sure how we would cope with 14.5% interest rate like we had in the early 90's plus a lot of the younger generation make new iPhones etc their main priority eating into their disposable income.

So, give no fucks
jevs

Ignore
« Reply #11612 on: Friday, September 3, 2021, 17:15:55 »

That assumes that contributions over their lifetimes had been ringfenced...which they won't have been.  I do agree that there is a big (& growing) problem with generational fairness.  But it's fiendishly difficult to address.

There will be a tipping point fairly soon when the generation that missed out on being able to buy a home, for example, reaches the age where they start holding many of the levers of power.  Will be interesting to watch when that happens.

You're suggesting that poor people will start holding the levers of power? I wouldn't hold your breath.
AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #11613 on: Friday, September 3, 2021, 17:44:34 »

I think something needs to be done about Social Care; it's not fair or consistent for Health to be free at the point of need but Social Care to be means tested for everything. You can end up with ridiculous situations in the grey area between the two (e.g. dementia care) where if it's classed as 'health' it costs £0 but if not £,00000s. NI is probably the worst choice, as it isnt paid on Pensions (even generous final salary ones). The thing that upsets and concerns most elderly home owners is the random chance factor, 2 out of 3 people will pass pretty much their whole home to their kids, 1 out 3 almost nothing. Pot luck. I think most (not all, some people are greedy selfish bastards) elderly home owners would actually be quite happy for a big increase in Inheritance Tax if it meant that were protected from losing it all. That seems fairest to me. I think T May tried to suggest something like that, the media crucified her for it and it was binned. Boris is far too much of a populist to do the right , difficult thing here (or, indeed, ever)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #11614 on: Friday, September 3, 2021, 18:02:05 »

Soylent Green is probably the long term answer to the social care problem.
A solution that might be favoured on the quiet by the majority of under 40's.
Probably by the government as well if they thought that they could get away with it.
Would also solve the post Brexit supply issue of certain foodstuffs as well.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Flashheart

« Reply #11615 on: Friday, September 3, 2021, 18:09:34 »

Soylent Green is probably the long term answer to the social care problem.

They'd be a bit chewy, though?
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #11616 on: Friday, September 3, 2021, 18:20:06 »

They'd be a bit chewy, though?

Smiley Get the seasoning right and it won't be a problem.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #11617 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 09:41:01 »

National insurance going up to fund social care provision. Something needs to be done about social care, but increasing a working age tax to fund the retired is a pretty clear wealth transfer between working age people and the already retired. I suppose it makes sense not to penalise the group that votes for you overwhelmingly if you're the government.

Since leaving the EU we should have an extra 10.6 billion. Can't we use some of that to fund this?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11618 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 09:42:13 »

Since leaving the EU we should have an extra 10.6 billion. Can't we use some of that to fund this?

Cheeky.....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11619 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 09:49:15 »

Quote from: horlock07
Cheeky Bus-tard.....

fify
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #11620 on: Thursday, September 9, 2021, 09:19:21 »

Paul Gambaccini very animated on BBC regarding Met Police corruption and BBC coverups. It could be a very interesting time for Cressida.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11621 on: Thursday, September 9, 2021, 13:31:18 »

Paul Gambaccini very animated on BBC regarding Met Police corruption and BBC coverups. It could be a very interesting time for Cressida.

This approach seems a bit extreme though.

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #11622 on: Thursday, September 9, 2021, 13:43:57 »

This approach seems a bit extreme though.

Harsh on Charlie boy!

Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #11623 on: Thursday, September 9, 2021, 17:12:52 »

He and many others have every right to be ‘animated’ as well.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #11624 on: Wednesday, September 15, 2021, 13:03:50 »

Bobby Buckland seems to be being reshuffled out of the government, for people who want the local angle.
Pages: 1 ... 772 773 774 [775] 776 777 778 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: