Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2008142 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1185 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 17:00:26 »

French red tape is horrific, but Bonaparte's division of the country in to clearly defined Regions and, below that, the 100 Departments which people properly identify with is something to be proud of.  Vastly superior to the disorderly mish-mash of counties (some historic, which do not even exist in the political sense any more) & unitary authorities that we put up with.

A Frenchman knows where he's from.  But is Swindon in Wiltshire any more?  Is Kingston in London or is it in Surrey?  Is Scunthorpe a part of Humberside, Lincolnshire or N Lincolnshire?  All open to debate.  It's a mess.

You say that but when my old man moved to France, it was considerably less bureaucratic than the hassle he had moving back 10 years later, its taken them nearly a year to get many of the things sorted now they are back in the UK.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1186 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 17:47:50 »

Does your suspicion of our Gallic cousins stem from a deep-rooted sense of inferiority, I wonder Reginald?

I think suspicion of people who came up with a calendar, with these months is justified....

1 Vendémiaire   7 Germinal
2 Brumaire   8 Floréal
3 Frimaire   9 Prairial
4 Nivôse   10 Messidor
5 Pluviôse   11 Thermidor
6 Ventôse   12 Fructidor

The months then divided into 3 sets of 10 days, with only 3 days of rest.....add in the attempt to decimalise time. Thank fuck for the Greenwich Meridian.

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1187 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 18:20:00 »

This man could possibly become US president... and we think we have problems....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34930042

There is absolutely no danger of Trump being elected.

More worryingly, there's a strong chance that Clinton will be elected.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #1188 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 18:26:36 »

As long as it's the Democratic candidate, that's all that really matters
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1189 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 18:35:02 »

I think suspicion of people who came up with a calendar, with these months is justified....

1 Vendémiaire   7 Germinal
2 Brumaire   8 Floréal
3 Frimaire   9 Prairial
4 Nivôse   10 Messidor
5 Pluviôse   11 Thermidor
6 Ventôse   12 Fructidor

The months then divided into 3 sets of 10 days, with only 3 days of rest.....add in the attempt to decimalise time. Thank fuck for the Greenwich Meridian.

Well despite its pretty imagery, France dumped that before long, in the interest of international alignment (England take note). Generations of Brits should be eternally grateful to Europe for decimalisation though. 16oz to a lb (which obviously stands for pound) but 14lbs to 1 st; 8pts to 1gal; 12d to 1s; 1760 snappy yds to 1 mile. All very quaint, but makes for nightmarish calculations.

And Ardiles, if France used to be horribly bureaucratic, these days most admin things run much more smoothly than their equivalents in the UK, in my experience. Except I do wish they'd institute an Oyster card system on the Paris metro.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1190 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 18:52:32 »

As long as it's the Democratic candidate, that's all that really matters

Sanders preferably.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #1191 on: Friday, November 27, 2015, 17:47:21 »

A full-scale invasion is the only thing that is going to get rid of them. Or at least troops on the ground anyway and so far the "strategy" of operating through limited proxies (a Kurdish force attacked by the Turks and hamstrung by our unwillingness to upset our "allies", the laughably inept and corrupt Iraqi army, Assad's murderers and various rag-bag equally murderous Shia militias) coupled with bombing has achieved jack-shit. If we want to get rid of ISIS by military means then we need to decide that we're prepared to do that and stay and sort out the mess after. And yes that means we need to be prepared for the body bags/pictures of POWs being brutally tortured and executed to come in too. But if we were prepared to take the casualties for some oil, neo-con hard-ons and Blair's mad ego for Iraq, this is a far more worthy cause. Plus we helped cause it so we kind of have an obligation to help sort out the mess we helped create.

Otherwise, we should sit at home and wait for them to go stronger and stronger until we can't dislodge them. Pretty much as we have done for the past four years, in fact. "Nicely stoking the flames a little" might sound nice but as Reg says, it's really just headline grabbing and political face-saving.
I agree with every word of this post.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Ironside

Ignore
« Reply #1192 on: Friday, November 27, 2015, 17:49:08 »

But they have quite a presence in the Lords, just a pity they seem to be having to act as her majesty's opposition whilst the Labour Leadership and PLP wave their bits around rather than trying to act for the good of the country....
The commons do not need the Lord's on their side to act on Foreign affairs.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Ironside

Ignore
« Reply #1193 on: Friday, November 27, 2015, 17:52:58 »

I'm keen on electoral reform myself, but pure PR applied to the results of the last election (which is dodgy as people may have voted differently etc.) would have given a Tory/UKIP coalition. Which is terrifying.
Or as sane people describe it, perfect.

Ironside

Ignore
« Reply #1194 on: Friday, November 27, 2015, 17:55:40 »

People like Coldplay and voted for Hitler Mark, you can't trust people.
You're absolutely correct. Here's a darkened room, a revolver with a single round in it and a bottle of Whisky.

You know it's the right thing to do but do let us know if you need anything else to assist you...

Ironside

Ignore
« Reply #1195 on: Friday, November 27, 2015, 17:57:11 »

I knew who would bite at that.  Bye

Bonaparte's success, particularly in setting up institutions and administrations that remain to this day, has always been underplayed in the UK, not unnaturally. And his legacy of French influence in Europe is rather greater than plucky little England's.

Does your suspicion of our Gallic cousins stem from a deep-rooted sense of inferiority, I wonder Reginald?
I think we have an example of Stockholm syndrome right here.

Ironside

Ignore
« Reply #1196 on: Friday, November 27, 2015, 17:58:09 »

French red tape is horrific, but Bonaparte's division of the country in to clearly defined Regions and, below that, the 100 Departments which people properly identify with is something to be proud of.  Vastly superior to the disorderly mish-mash of counties (some historic, which do not even exist in the political sense any more) & unitary authorities that we put up with.

A Frenchman knows where he's from.  But is Swindon in Wiltshire any more?  Is Kingston in London or is it in Surrey?  Is Scunthorpe a part of Humberside, Lincolnshire or N Lincolnshire?  All open to debate.  It's a mess.
That's down to education.

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1197 on: Friday, November 27, 2015, 19:33:16 »

You shouldn't need a degree to understand things like that.  That's the point.
Ironside

Ignore
« Reply #1198 on: Friday, November 27, 2015, 23:32:58 »

You shouldn't need a degree to understand things like that.  That's the point.
Indeed...

Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #1199 on: Friday, November 27, 2015, 23:56:50 »

I like Ironsides

He gets a lot of hate on here, but he says what he thinks.

To be honest, some of it offends some people, but some people are offended by facts

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: