Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995712 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1140 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 16:53:41 »

Isn't there a specific restriction on it having to be used for leisure purposes though? If it can't be used for housing, that would significantly restrict the value.

Convenants can be bought out...
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #1141 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 16:58:32 »

Covenant, it's covenant!!!

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1142 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 16:59:07 »

But then where will the nuns live?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1143 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 17:18:10 »

Covenant, it's covenant!!!

The perils of multi-tasking.....cooking pressed cod roe fish cakes, at the same time as posting requires more concentration than I thought.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #1144 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 10:22:54 »

The cricket pavilion is a listed building, so even if the covenant is bought out and its sold for housing, the pavilion has to remain in situ. Would look a bit odd in the middle of a housing estate !
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1145 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 10:27:38 »

SBC are fucking clowns at the best of times but I would be extremely surprised if they ever sold the County Ground. The uproar would be huge.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1146 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 10:44:06 »

SBC are fucking clowns at the best of times but I would be extremely surprised if they ever sold the County Ground. The uproar would be huge.

You do realise that funding to local councils has been cut by 50%....and that they're pretty much left with dealing with the statutory crap that can't be flogged off?

Over half of council tax monies go on care of people with special needs, the elderly, children, asylum seekers, the homless....they're not going away, in fact it's a growing number.

Osborne is permitting a small increase in Council Tax, to address this, but some assets will have to be sold.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1147 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:01:28 »

That doesn't change my view at all.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1148 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:10:39 »

That doesn't change my view at all.

It is of course possible that SBC could sell the CG and it stay as a football ground....the Trust have got first dibs. That way eveyone's a winner.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1149 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:24:05 »

While this thread is at the top, Cameron today is outlining his case for bombing ISIS, 2 years ago, he wanted to bomb Assad to aid ISIS, now the other way around.

I'm with Corbyn on this, let's keep out.   What say you TEFers?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1150 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:26:01 »

The cricket pavilion is a listed building, so even if the covenant is bought out and its sold for housing, the pavilion has to remain in situ.
No it doesn't. It can be moved and reconstructed elsewhere. It's another obstacle/expense but like the covenant it's not a blocker, simply a question of there being enough profit in any deal to make it worth a developer's while.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1151 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:33:49 »

While this thread is at the top, Cameron today is outlining his case for bombing ISIS, 2 years ago, he wanted to bomb Assad to aid ISIS, now the other way around.

I'm with Corbyn on this, let's keep out.   What say you TEFers?

Before the paris massacre, I would have said 'go for it'. Now not so sure. With the possibility of revenge is it worth it?

On the other hand, how do we rectify the awful situation?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1152 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:36:22 »

Before the paris massacre, I would have said 'go for it'. Now not so sure. With the possibility of revenge is it worth it?
Makes no odds. We are well on ISIS's radar whether or not we bomb Syria. Whatever we do though, this time, unlike Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya, we need a proper plan for what we do AFTER the bombing/invasion/total obliteration of the entire region. I have no great hope that we will do that and so once ISIS are destroyed they'll just be replaced by something worse and the cycle will go on.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1153 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:36:39 »

I'm with Corbyn on this, let's keep out.   What say you TEFers?

Think Corbyn's position is a bit more nuanced than that on this one.

I have absolutely no moral objection to bombing the everloving crap out of ISIS. However, that in itself does not solve the issue: Cameron's claiming that there are 70,000 "moderate Syrian" fighters to step in as ground forces - that sounds a lot like wishful thinking. Ultimately, Assad is a terrible human being, but might be the only way of keeping the country from falling apart utterly. The Kurds genuinely deserve our support, but supporting them means upsetting Turkey.

The geopolitics here are extremely complicated, well beyond who we should and shouldn't bomb. No easy answers.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1154 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:44:17 »

On the other hand, how do we rectify the awful situation?

No idea, but I'm pretty sure that dropping a few bombs in Syria, isn't going to help.

Cameron seems to think it's not cricket to leave it to the French and US....however we managed this in Vietnam, and those campaigns didn't get either of our allies very far.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:46:37 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: