Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996030 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1050 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2015, 09:07:19 »

According to YouGov poll, Corbyn on course to become leader....this is going to be fun. back to the 80's scenario, which caused the split in Labour, and the creation of the SDP, and then onto the LibDems.

It looks to me as if we're in for some major realignments over the coming couple of years....the EU referendum, is going to open a whole big can of worms.
the last election proved that such positions don't win elections.

The last election proved that a party with a left-leaning, anti-austerity agenda is the only thing that can stand up to the conservatives. If Labour had been true to their roots they would have kept the Scottish seats and had a good go in England too. No one voted for them because they are just Tory-lite and no real alternative.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 22, 2015, 09:36:07 by horlock07 » Logged
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #1051 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2015, 09:17:27 »

That stance did ok for the snp
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #1052 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2015, 09:21:31 »

The structure of the leadership campaign is fairly stupid in a way.  Taking so sodding long that the tories have no real opposition is madness.  Leaving that dickhead Harman in charge, well, jesus.  No way should they have been abstaining from that horrific bill.  

The party is in a state of stasis at the moment.  You cant do anything without a leader and an ideology.

Parliment is on recess for a while now so the tories cant do too much damage whilst they're off on there holidays, but we really need to get someone in and running.  The new leader will be announced on the 12th September.  Recess for the commons finishes on the 7th.

FWIW I believe the country doesnt have to punish the poor with the draconian austerity measures tories seem intent on.  Corbyns anti austerity and I look forward to seeing his plans in more detail.

Never knowingly overstated.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1053 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2015, 09:25:10 »

If Corbyn splits the Labour Party and the EU referendum splits the Tories then we have a very interesting political landscape...

As for Corbyn, I think it speaks for how poor the 'centrist' labour figures are that he's even in contention. Nobody else seems to want to argue against austerity as if it's the only possible path: as with anything in politics, there are many ways to skin a cat and if Labour think the only way to regain economic credibility is to become the Tories then why not just join the Conservatives?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 22, 2015, 09:27:41 by Nemo » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1054 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2015, 09:35:50 »

The structure of the leadership campaign is fairly stupid in a way.  Taking so sodding long that the tories have no real opposition is madness.  Leaving that dickhead Harman in charge, well, jesus.  No way should they have been abstaining from that horrific bill.  

The party is in a state of stasis at the moment.  You cant do anything without a leader and an ideology.

Parliment is on recess for a while now so the tories cant do too much damage whilst they're off on there holidays, but we really need to get someone in and running.  The new leader will be announced on the 12th September.  Recess for the commons finishes on the 7th.

FWIW I believe the country doesnt have to punish the poor with the draconian austerity measures tories seem intent on.  Corbyns anti austerity and I look forward to seeing his plans in more detail.

I think its good to have a longish leadership  contest, also good to have a range of candidates....as you rightly point out, with Parliament not sitting, it's not quite so imperative to have a leader.

TBF to Harman.....Labour's manifesto was also for cuts to the benefit budget, just in a longer timescale, I think she was correctly saying it woud be hypocritical to oppose in that case as the electorate had voted for the shorter timescale.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1055 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2015, 09:36:19 »

Apologies Horlock - I have fucked your post up trying to quote it - clicked modify by mistake and deleted some of it.

I was going to reply with this:

The last election proved that a party with a left-leaning, anti-austerity agenda is the only thing that can stand up to the conservatives. If Labour had been true to their roots they would have kept the Scottish seats and had a good go in England too. No one voted for them because they are just Tory-lite and no real alternative.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1056 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2015, 09:38:27 »

Apologies Horlock - I have fucked your post up trying to quote it - clicked modify by mistake and deleted some of it.

Ah that explains it, I was thinking when I read it back (I posted and then walked away from computer for a bit) it looked far more coherent that what I had typed..

I don't know - fucking censorship on the TEF - what next!  Cheesy
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1057 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2015, 11:25:26 »

Not according to big Tone it isn't!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33619645
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1058 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2015, 13:44:25 »

Yeah sorry about that!

Tony Blair is a proven liar and war criminal.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1059 on: Friday, July 24, 2015, 10:24:03 »

Interesting intervention from Obama, with regards to the EU referendum...Uncle Sam wants us staying in, which has got the Tory Europhobes eyes swivelling and frothing at the mouth.  Clearly Cameron has called in a favour.  Given that a Corbyn led Labour Party is going to split, like in the 80's with the SDP....I can see Labour calling for an out vote as in 75.

Then it was because the EU was seen as a banker's construct....intent on destroying worker's rights, but the subsequent Social Chapter, altered this by firming up worker's rights, one of the principle reasons the right wants out.

Greece has shown though, that perhaps the 1975 position was correct.....this is going to get very messy indeed.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 24, 2015, 10:26:09 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1060 on: Friday, July 24, 2015, 21:45:46 »

Interesting intervention from Obama, with regards to the EU referendum...Uncle Sam wants us staying in, which has got the Tory Europhobes eyes swivelling and frothing at the mouth.  Clearly Cameron has called in a favour.  Given that a Corbyn led Labour Party is going to split, like in the 80's with the SDP....I can see Labour calling for an out vote as in 75.

Then it was because the EU was seen as a banker's construct....intent on destroying worker's rights, but the subsequent Social Chapter, altered this by firming up worker's rights, one of the principle reasons the right wants out.

Greece has shown though, that perhaps the 1975 position was correct.....this is going to get very messy indeed.

Why does the following always seem to correlate;  Tory Government..........Very messy...

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Combe Down

« Reply #1061 on: Monday, September 7, 2015, 06:15:58 »

Something in the Adver today says that twink from Bath wants to start making his football banners political. Not in my name in case you says something that agree doesn't with my politics. Let's NOT get political please (come on you Reds excepted  Embarrassed )
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/13649003.Town_fans_spearhead_campaign_in_support_of_refugees/
Skinny Pete

« Reply #1062 on: Monday, September 7, 2015, 06:24:16 »

Just one quick question for Jay.

He says if you don't support the banner thingy you don't have to get involved. But if said banner is held aloft at a football match how is anyone NOT involved. Everyone is involved by association whether you want to or not.

For that reason, I'm out - if it was possible to opt out, that is.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1063 on: Monday, September 7, 2015, 07:42:54 »

As I mentioned on Twitter, I'd much rather have Swindon fans hold up a humanitarian banner 'in my name' than get pissed and start fights with rival fans / police / general public. Or sing racist songs. Hey ho

Things get better but they never get good
lambourn red

« Reply #1064 on: Monday, September 7, 2015, 07:51:10 »

I always feel uneasy about this kind of thing , As Audrey says by virtue of being in the away end when this banner is held aloft you are assumed to be supportive of it. Ask yourself the question if someone held aloft a giant banner with "Vote Tory" or "Vote Labour" would you be happy about it if you are of the opposite political persuasion.
Now when it comes to the refugee crisis I am pretty neutral about the whole thing I can see the argument for helping some of these poor souls but on the other hand this crisis is not of our doing(unlike Iraq/Afghanistan) so I dont get why the mass media are on some sort of guilt trip.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: