Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995664 times)
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #975 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 10:45:01 »

They may have changed (out of interested what do you do)

I work for South Central Ambulance Service, my dispute was a personal one only affecting myself (which shouldn't have been the case). Granted, I've been with Unison for 12 years and paid my subs every month without using them, up until March. But I was grateful that they were there.. On that basis I will continue to pay my subs, for the 'just in case' scenario. Oh, it's nice to get a discount card come through annually for companies I'll never use too!  Cheesy

Roaming the land while you sleep..

Ignore
« Reply #976 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 11:21:05 »

Yeah but surely we couldn't just keep on diging beneath the surface for coal otherwise what will stop the country collapsing on itself?  Unions do some good but also holds the rest of the country to ransome with its demands, and why if you're in a union and disagree with a walkout are you labelled a scab?  That is pure bullying tactics used to intimidate people, and remember union reps still get paid when striking the work force doesn't you have a choice.
in my experience reps do not get paid when striking at all. Which reps are you referring to?
Bullying tactics? What about the bullying tactics from employers? The issues that drive union members to striking.

There are numerous benefits from being a union member. I even had my will done for free through mine.

On another note I've joined the hunt saboteurs association today. This Tory administration and its leader enjoy the sick pastime of watching dogs rip wildlife to pieces and will repeal the law if they can. Ive got to try to do my bit to stop it. I've also written to Buckland and Tomlinson. I'm sure they'll tow the party line as their noses are firmly up senior Tories anuses.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #977 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 11:40:59 »

in my experience reps do not get paid when striking at all. Which reps are you referring to?
Bullying tactics? What about the bullying tactics from employers? The issues that drive union members to striking.

There are numerous benefits from being a union member. I even had my will done for free through mine.

I stand corrected it is not the rep but the union chiefs who encourage striking that still get paid.  But what i dont get is the firemans strike when they do 3 or 4 on 3 or 4 off i know plenty who moonlight during their time off but can't afford Christmas this year but can still afford to strike. i am all for the rights of people and working conditions and yet certain union fat cats think it's morally correct to hold the country to ransome with strikes over busy /festive periods. Can you also confirm why if i dont agree with strike action and go into work because i cant afford not to be in work i am a scab? It's insulting intimidating and stinks.
As for the government how is it the tories fault!  Aren't all politicians and parties liars they promise this and that and deliver the other. They won the majority of votes, we live in a democracy, that's the price of freedom.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #978 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 11:45:06 »

In what way? Not being argumentative, just interested?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25549596
I think this article throws some light on it. You also have to look at the techniques Thatcher applied to win the Miners strike.

Ignore
« Reply #979 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 12:03:15 »

I stand corrected it is not the rep but the union chiefs who encourage striking that still get paid.  But what i dont get is the firemans strike when they do 3 or 4 on 3 or 4 off i know plenty who moonlight during their time off but can't afford Christmas this year but can still afford to strike. i am all for the rights of people and working conditions and yet certain union fat cats think it's morally correct to hold the country to ransome with strikes over busy /festive periods. Can you also confirm why if i dont agree with strike action and go into work because i cant afford not to be in work i am a scab? It's insulting intimidating and stinks.
As for the government how is it the tories fault!  Aren't all politicians and parties liars they promise this and that and deliver the other. They won the majority of votes, we live in a democracy, that's the price of freedom.

Union chiefs are elected by their membership. They can be removed if desired.

There is plenty of information about the fire fighters dispute available to read. Unsurprisingly I am fully in support of them.

If you are a union member and go to work whilst your colleagues are out losing pay then it would be you out of order. You would see any benefits that the dispute being resolved could bring yet would still be getting paid whilst those who fight for their futures do not. Very selfish and they are rightly called scabs. If you are not a union member then fair enough but you should not see any of the benefits of any resolved dispute as you are happy to work under the conditions your fellow workers are not.

It's the Tories fault as they are trying to take away union rights.
« Last Edit: Monday, May 18, 2015, 12:05:45 by arriba » Logged
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #980 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 12:13:10 »

This is getting fiesty.

jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #981 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 13:15:17 »

I don't get unions and I don't get striking. If you don't like where you work, for whatever reason, you should try to resolve the issues with management and if that fails you have two choices - put up with it, or get a new job.

I did the new job route a year ago, I'm now getting more money, working closer to home and love the new job and company.

Don't know why anyone would want to continue working somewhere they hate so much they have to go on strike. You might win one battle but there will be another and you're back to square one. A lifetime of being pissed off all the time.

Ignore
« Reply #982 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 13:20:48 »

The fire fighters dispute isn't about pay.  They also leave picket lines to go on shouts.
« Last Edit: Monday, May 18, 2015, 13:23:59 by arriba » Logged
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #983 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 13:25:13 »

I don't get unions and I don't get striking. If you don't like where you work, for whatever reason, you should try to resolve the issues with management and if that fails you have two choices - put up with it, or get a new job.

I did the new job route a year ago, I'm now getting more money, working closer to home and love the new job and company.

Don't know why anyone would want to continue working somewhere they hate so much they have to go on strike. You might win one battle but there will be another and you're back to square one. A lifetime of being pissed off all the time.

It's not as simple as that though, is it? - Unions aren't just about striking. Ours are there for a great deal of reasons. Staff welfare and support being the main one. Personally, I love my job, but if I'm ever being treated unfairly then I have somewhere to go to fight that. More likely to win with the union on your side, speaking from very recent experience. I love my job and what I do and wont be forced out of it due to being victimised.

Sometimes it's not as easy as 'just tell a manager'.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #984 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 14:55:38 »

I don't get unions and I don't get striking.

You could do with reading something like EP Thompson's.....The Making of the English Working Class.

We're where we are today,  a consequence of generations of workers, and their struggle for improved conditions from often uncaring owners and management.

Occasionally, you'd get enlightened owners/management, thus making it easier for improvements to be achieved, but not always.

A classic Tory attack on Trade Unionism, was when Thatcher banned workers at GCHQ from association in a union, just as had happened to the Tolpuddle Martyrs.

She described Trade Unionists as the "Enemy Within"   Fair play to the old bat, at least she had the balls to make it plain whose side she was on, unlike David Cameron.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #985 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 15:30:15 »

We're where we are today,  a consequence of generations of workers, and their struggle for improved conditions from often uncaring owners and management.

I don't dispute that but unions had a time and place and haven't evolved enough.

There is plenty of legislation and plenty of companies that go above and beyond that. More could be done, I'd like to see the role the unions play move to internal representation within individual companies via legislation. Taking the good bits and leaving the bad behind.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #986 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 18:31:04 »

I don't dispute that but unions had a time and place and haven't evolved enough.

There is plenty of legislation and plenty of companies that go above and beyond that. More could be done, I'd like to see the role the unions play move to internal representation within individual companies via legislation. Taking the good bits and leaving the bad behind.

Workers conditions should never be taken as a given....look at what is happening in Qatar, where it is estimated that 62 people will have died for each WC game that will be played....yet the multi nationals involved with FIFA are happy enough to go along with it.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #987 on: Saturday, June 27, 2015, 09:12:32 »

So has everyone forgotten about politics?

To those that joined a party after the election, have you got involved or is being a member and paying the fees enough?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #988 on: Saturday, June 27, 2015, 10:03:21 »

So has everyone forgotten about politics?

To those that joined a party after the election, have you got involved or is being a member and paying the fees enough?

I went to a welcome event and decided that everyone was far more earnest than I. Got a leadership election vote though, not really sure which way I'd go: Norman Lamb comes across a really great human being and I really respect his work on mental health, but he will be tainted by the coalition and he's not the most charismatic. Farron is a bit more of a Charles Kennedy left-wing liberal and a very good public speaker, but I'm slightly worried by the amount of senior Lib Dems who actually know him who really don't seem to like the guy.

Ultimately I think I'm just a bit too cynical and balanced for party politics, everyone involved seems to think that their party is great in all areas and that all the others are full on evil.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #989 on: Saturday, June 27, 2015, 10:04:33 »

Some Labour canvassers came and knocked my door yesterday. As I posted before in this thread, there was no sign of them before the election, so to appear 8 weeks post-election was a little futile.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: