Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995990 times)
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #960 on: Saturday, May 16, 2015, 17:39:55 »

Anyone else see the irony in the governments suggested new rules around strike ballots.
The unions now need 40% of those eligible to vote in favour.
Funny then that a majority government only got 36% of those that voted, let alone those that were eligible to vote

The difference is everyone has a chance to vote for a government but not everyone has a chance to vote in a union ballot of which a strike causes significant disruption to those with no say.

For example there are only about 22,000 members of firefighters' union but there are circa 45 million voters. Thus that example is not comparing like for like.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #961 on: Saturday, May 16, 2015, 19:56:23 »

meh, unions have held to much power when it comes to striking, good on the government.
Yes
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #962 on: Saturday, May 16, 2015, 20:31:58 »

The difference is everyone has a chance to vote for a government but not everyone has a chance to vote in a union ballot of which a strike causes significant disruption to those with no say.

For example there are only about 22,000 members of firefighters' union but there are circa 45 million voters. Thus that example is not comparing like for like.

But only those people that have a vote will go on strike, not the entire population.

And if you are talking about impact, I think it's fair to say that a decision made by the government will impact more people.

Anyway it's more about the fact that the percentage is if total voters eligible. The assumption being that if you can't or won't choose one way or another you must be a no.
Presumably that means that 34% of the population didn't vote in the general election they must have voted against the government (whoever it was going to be)

Ignore
« Reply #963 on: Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:15:41 »

meh, unions have held to much power when it comes to striking, good on the government.
totally disagree. Unions are a good thing and I encourage everyone to join one
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #964 on: Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:21:33 »

Unions do good work, no denying it, works rights and conditions, legal representation when companies try to screw you over, etc. But they also need to live in the real world when it comes to pay, though their job is to get the best deal for their members.

But its specifically the ease at which strikes can be called that pisses me off about them.

Ignore
« Reply #965 on: Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:24:09 »

Unions do good work, no denying it, works rights and conditions, legal representation when companies try to screw you over, etc. But they also need to live in the real world when it comes to pay, though their job is to get the best deal for their members.

But its specifically the ease at which strikes can be called that pisses me off about them.
nobody wants to go on strike. Sometimes it just has to happen though.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #966 on: Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:26:19 »

nobody wants to go on strike. Sometimes it just has to happen though.

I'll leave it there, because sooner or later I'll piss off Tans!

I don't think striking ultimately works (FBU, Miners, etc).
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #967 on: Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:42:00 »

With respect to the miners history has proven Scargill correct and thatcher a liar
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #968 on: Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:43:37 »

With respect to the miners history has proven Scargill correct and thatcher a liar

Didn't help the miners much though did it?

Generally in favour of unions as a concept, but Len McCluskey comes across as a power mad lunatic.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #969 on: Sunday, May 17, 2015, 20:13:27 »

I'll leave it there, because sooner or later I'll piss off Tans!

I don't think striking ultimately works (FBU, Miners, etc).

Cheesy

Meh
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #970 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 09:57:43 »

totally disagree. Unions are a good thing and I encourage everyone to join one

I would add a word of caution to this, if you are inclined to join a union in your workplace, do some research regarding what their objectives are... from personal experience if you are in the 'professional' grades within a Local Authority they are happy to take your subs but not inclined to help if you are in dispute as you are not part of their key objectives.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #971 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 10:23:46 »

Yeah but surely we couldn't just keep on diging beneath the surface for coal otherwise what will stop the country collapsing on itself?  Unions do some good but also holds the rest of the country to ransome with its demands, and why if you're in a union and disagree with a walkout are you labelled a scab?  That is pure bullying tactics used to intimidate people, and remember union reps still get paid when striking the work force doesn't you have a choice.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #972 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 10:31:42 »

I would add a word of caution to this, if you are inclined to join a union in your workplace, do some research regarding what their objectives are... from personal experience if you are in the 'professional' grades within a Local Authority they are happy to take your subs but not inclined to help if you are in dispute as you are not part of their key objectives.

I'm with Unison, I had a recent dispute, they were superb. I'd have been totally lost without them.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #973 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 10:33:49 »

In what way? Not being argumentative, just interested?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #974 on: Monday, May 18, 2015, 10:39:05 »

I'm with Unison, I had a recent dispute, they were superb. I'd have been totally lost without them.

They may have changed (out of interested what do you do) - I ask as when we had a dispute which only affected professional grades (it was to do with the Council, overnight and without any consultation, abolishing the essential car user allowance  - so we continued to have to provide a car for work but they wouldn't pay anymore).

We entered a dispute and asked for support from Unison regional office, heard nothing, asked again, got nothing, finally got to speak to a regional officer (who wouldn't come out to meet us) and he confirmed that they didn't have the resources to help us, and as we were professional grades we were outside their area of concentration at that stage which was equal wages for female workers and minimum wage matters as that gets headlines!

In the end we sorted it ourselves without any union assistance and I rapidly resigned as a Union Rep and left the Union.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: