Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996500 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #930 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 14:17:26 »

Iirc Holland pulled out of that when they went thru their immigration issues

Very much doubt it....there are 47 countries signed up....including Russia.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #931 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 15:04:55 »

interesting issues

1         non Brits resident here may vote in local government elections but not national elections - seems logical enough
2         Reg (as he knows!) is quite right about the European Court of Human Rights being unconnected with EU - it was incorporated into British Law in the House of Commons and we are entirely free to repeal this as with any British laws anytime.

I'm afraid this barely seems to register with the mob wing of the Eurosceptics where the word "Europe" brings down the sort of red mist that led the neanderthals of Portsmouth to kick in the windows of a local Paediatrician
Arnold Corns

« Reply #932 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 15:51:20 »

Take away press and tv bias and concentrate on policies and you get this:
https://data.voteforpolicies.org.uk/countries/results#countries/england
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #933 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 16:12:14 »

This is a good one......obviously Gove has been brought into the Justice Dept, to bin the UK's signature to European Human Rights.  

Thoughts?

The Uk can repeal the Human Rights Act but it would change nothing and would simply put us back in the situation we were in before the UK Act was enacted (ie appeal a UK decision to the ECHR).

My understanding is that all EU states are members of the Council of Europe and signatories to the European Convention on European Rights.  Would it need the UK to leave the EU to remove itself from this control?

Not sure if I've got all that correct.  But I have more legal qualifications than Michael Gove (as he has none).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #934 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 16:20:46 »

The Uk can repeal the Human Rights Act but it would change nothing and would simply put us back in the situation we were in before the UK Act was enacted (ie appeal a UK decision to the ECHR).

My understanding is that all EU states are members of the Council of Europe and signatories to the European Convention on European Rights.  Would it need the UK to leave the EU to remove itself from this control?

Not sure if I've got all that correct.  But I have more legal qualifications than Michael Gove (as he has none).

The Convention was signed as part of the post war settlement, to try and ensure it would be more difficult for fascism to raise its ugly head.

I don't think even the Tories, are proposing leaving the Convention....
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #935 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 16:22:05 »

It would take a lot for me to vote labour since I spent 18months working for a local authority. In 10 years since I have never met a bigger bunch of umbitious mediocre work shy slackers. All just waiting for their undeserved pensions whilst complaining about working conditions etc etc etc. To a man and women they were labour.

Whereas my experience is totally different.  I worked in a Local Authority for several years and can honestly say I worked my bollocks off, regularly working late into the evening and weekends for no extra pay.  And just to compound the stereotype, vast majority were not members of a Union, most were not interested in politics and, of those that were, there were as many Tories and Lib Dems as Labour voters. 

I left 3 years ago to join the private sector doing the same type of work.  I've more than doubled my take home pay.  I work much less hours and am under much less pressure.  Those I left behind have had 5 years of pay freezes and cuts to staffing - everyone now working more for less.  There's probably more Labour voters amongst them now...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #936 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2015, 13:14:25 »

Whereas my experience is totally different.  I worked in a Local Authority for several years and can honestly say I worked my bollocks off, regularly working late into the evening and weekends for no extra pay.  And just to compound the stereotype, vast majority were not members of a Union, most were not interested in politics and, of those that were, there were as many Tories and Lib Dems as Labour voters. 

I left 3 years ago to join the private sector doing the same type of work.  I've more than doubled my take home pay.  I work much less hours and am under much less pressure.  Those I left behind have had 5 years of pay freezes and cuts to staffing - everyone now working more for less.  There's probably more Labour voters amongst them now...

Just out of interest what department of a Local Authority did you work in? I have worked in two different Authorities over the years and my experiences were pretty similar to JanTheMan - but then again I a pretty sure he like I is a Planner - yes we worked into the evenings sometimes but never at weekends and there we a lot of staff as young as their early 40's who were aiming for retirement and could tell you almost exactly what that pension would be in c.20 years time.

I get the point about Unions, however I would also say from personal experience (I was a Union rep for a couple of years) if you are a professional working in an LPA Unison have no interest in you - we got zero support when in dispute with the Council. My entire Council career was under Labour and we seemed to be in dispute with them all the time (I had at least 3 days out on strike) - I never did understand why we as a Union paid Labour, who then tried to screw us over when led to us going out on strike buggering up services for the public - but what did I know.

Now in the private sector the work is more interesting and better paid to a degree, however I work much harder and longer hours and the pressure if considerably greater - swings and roundabouts I suppose.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #937 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2015, 13:55:00 »

swings and roundabouts I suppose.
Presumably mainly roundabouts though, if you're a planner? Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #938 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 10:43:53 »

Erstwhile Trust chairman hopeful Justin Tomlinson has got a new gig working for IDS, as Minister for Disabled People  even the Tory supporting Independent,is presumably wondering, whether, given his support for cutting the benefits of peoiple with cancer, and those to disabled children, this is a good thing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-camerons-new-disabilities-minister-voted-against-protecting-disabled-childrens-benefits-10246049.html?origin=internalSearch
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 10:58:03 by Reg Smeeton » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #939 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 10:54:42 »

Erstwhile Trust chairman hopeful Justin Tomlinson has got a new gig working for IDS, as Minister for Disabled People  even the Tory supporting Independent, has questioned whether given his support for cutting the benefits of peoiple with cancer, and those to disabled children, this is a good thing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-camerons-new-disabilities-minister-voted-against-protecting-disabled-childrens-benefits-10246049.html?origin=internalSearch
What a fucking wanker. Now chief arse licker of the abhorrent IDS.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #940 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 10:59:34 »

What a fucking wanker. Now chief arse licker of the abhorrent IDS.

At least he failed in his campaign to become Trust chair.....
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #941 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 14:47:49 »

This obviously needs taking in context when one considers the outlet within which it was published, but quite a thought provoking piece.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...hinging-why-the-Left-are-such-bad-losers.html

I have genuinely been a little shocked by the backlash from the left both prior to and after the election, the right are always branded the nasty parties but it does appear that this is not reflected by the supporters of either side on social media as the patronising abuse heaped on anyone thinking of (or actually voting) has been incredible?
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #942 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:01:37 »

hur hur - I gave him his leaflet back when he posted it through my door the other week
"the Duke of Devonshire noted "No one who hasn't been a Parliamentary Under Secretary of State has any conception of how unimportant a Parliamentary Under Secretary of State is""
fucking hell that's an extra 31k a year on top of his 65K - plus expenses
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:13:23 by ron dodgers » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #943 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:08:36 »

hur hur - I gave him his leaflet back when he posted it through my door the other week
"the Duke of Devonshire noted "No one who hasn't been a Parliamentary Under Secretary of State has any conception of how unimportant a Parliamentary Under Secretary of State is""

The Duke of Cornwall, has been sending notes to Government officials over the last 5 years....he may have had an opinion, on the importance or otherwise of Mr Tomlinson's sinecure, but will we ever know, Cameron is trying to suppress publication of the letters, even though the highest judges say there's no reason in law not to publish.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #944 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:13:55 »

publish, or be damned sirrah!
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: