Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2006691 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 10:35:27 »

Have to say, I completely fail to see how any intelligent person would wish to see another Cameron/Clegg axis.  Both have shown that all they'll do anything necesary to cling to power.....Cameron, his Freudian slip about this being a super important election for his "career" interests, when he ws supposed to say country's.  Clegg fessing up he'll stomach an EU referendum, if it means getting his ministerial chauffeur back.

Clegg knows full well, that said referendum could prove disastrous for the UK....and should have nowt to do with it.

Fair dues, so what would be an ideal outcome for Chez Smeeton?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #571 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 10:56:59 »

Fair dues, so what would be an ideal outcome for Chez Smeeton?

I vote Labour to get a Labour government....but all the punditry and polls points to a close run thing, so at this point in time, it's let's wait until Friday to see how things look.
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #572 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 11:04:42 »

Do you really think a coalition government could possibly work in Britain.

Cameron and Clegg have made a joke of this possibility.

Surely, only can see a very small minority (King maker) such as UKIP turn the country into a worst situation. 
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 12:14:29 »

Worst thing for me is that we've somehow managed to avoid there being a debate on the real issues.

Scottish independence hasn't been resolved and will continue to run and run. Exactly what does Scotland want to remain in the Union? How about moving to a federal style government? What do Wales and Northern Ireland want? What about England?

The EU, in or out? What exactly are the issues people have with the EU, can they be resolved?

The deficit. How quickly do we want to clear it, how much austerity can be tolerated and what should be cut. It's been portrayed as "Tory cuts" and "Labour spending", which totally misses the real issue that needs to be discussed.

No matter what Sturgeon says, her only goal is independence and she'll do whatever it takes to achieve it - including fucking over the rest of the UK. I wouldn't have an issue with a Labour government, but a Lab-SNP government will be a disaster.

Despite what the polls and experts say, I still reckon there will be a swing to the Tories on the day and we'll end up with another Tory-LibDem coalition, maybe with the DUP and UKIP on board in some form.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #574 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 13:06:03 »

You're very right jonny. The way the media have let all the main parties off the hook of actually discussing any of the main issues has been quite shocking.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 13:15:47 »

You're very right jonny. The way the media have let all the main parties off the hook of actually discussing any of the main issues has been quite shocking.

That's a good point Paul, and let me tell you why!

The whole 'campaign' has just been dominated by the personalities (I use that in its weakest form!)  and their painfully detailed media training!
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #576 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 14:45:06 »

The Independent have just backed another Tory/Lib coalition. That's a genuine surprise in an election campaign devoid of them so far.

Might that be something to do with the owner, Evgeny Lebedev, being a billionaire friend of Boris Johnson? 

What could possibly lead the Independent to dislike the top-rate-tax-rising, non-dom-abolishing, mansion-taxing Labour Party I wonder...??
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #577 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 20:21:09 »

Worst thing for me is that we've somehow managed to avoid there being a debate on the real issues.

Scottish independence hasn't been resolved and will continue to run and run. Exactly what does Scotland want to remain in the Union? How about moving to a federal style government? What do Wales and Northern Ireland want? What about England?

The EU, in or out? What exactly are the issues people have with the EU, can they be resolved?

The deficit. How quickly do we want to clear it, how much austerity can be tolerated and what should be cut. It's been portrayed as "Tory cuts" and "Labour spending", which totally misses the real issue that needs to be discussed.

No matter what Sturgeon says, her only goal is independence and she'll do whatever it takes to achieve it - including fucking over the rest of the UK. I wouldn't have an issue with a Labour government, but a Lab-SNP government will be a disaster.

Despite what the polls and experts say, I still reckon there will be a swing to the Tories on the day and we'll end up with another Tory-LibDem coalition, maybe with the DUP and UKIP on board in some form.

Everything that the SNP do at Westminster with their block of 50+ MPs will be calibrated to cause division and further the cause of Scottish independence.  If they form part of a government, they will extract concessions from the senior party in government (ie Labour) in a manner that would cause (or add to) friction between the different parts of the UK.  And if they are frozen out of government, they will attack the legitimacy of the government in Scotland (which is actually a point I would have some sympathy with).

The chances of Scottish separation within the next 5 to 10 years are fairly high now, I would think.  But the idea of a UK break up doesn't seem as shocking now as it used to.  The issue has barely been out of the news for the last couple of years.  We'd all move on.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #578 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 20:21:55 »

I still don't know who I'm voting for, by the way.  Any more 'undecideds' out there?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #579 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 20:26:25 »

Still undecided here.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 20:28:05 »

I think I'm going to spoil my ballot paper.

My opinion is I think the Tories would probably do the best job of all the serious contenders. But I can't bring myself to vote for some of their policies.

Labour I reckon have a fairly high chance of fucking the recovery. Ed Balls for fucks sake.

Greens are, well, you know.

UKIP are also, well, you know.

There is nobody else standing.

Oh wait, forgot the Lib Dems. I voted for them last time, they bent over and took it up the arse. Will never vote for them again for dropping the key tuition fee promise.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #581 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 20:33:29 »

Still fairly undecided. Won't be voting UKIP but could potentially vote for the other four (although pretty unlikely to be the Tories, I agree with about 80% of what they do but I disagree so strongly with the other 20% I don't think I can vote for them, plus their candidate in Bath is pretty uninspiring).

Bath is a Lib Dem safe-ish seat (in as much as anything is safe Lib Dem these days) but it's a new guy standing and he seems fairly unremarkable. I probably agree with more Lib Dem policies than any other party, but think they got fairly little out of the last coalition (certainly considering what the SNP would want from Labour this time round).

Labour poll like 5% here, are standing a child as a candidate, and will probably lose to the Greens, who I might vote for on the grounds that their heart is in the right place even if they'd be a disaster running anything and it might at least prompt the other parties to consider some of their better policies.

Oh, and there's an independent candidate who seems quite could but has as much chance of winning as I do.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 20:40:42 »

I'm still not 100% sure.

Bristol South has been Labour since 1935 but the ever narrowing gap and the recent significant gentrification of some areas mean that the Lib Dems (and maybe Greens) have a good chance of getting in.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 21:13:56 »

Never voted for them before but this time round I'll be voting Tory, they and the Lib Dems have done a good job in last five years and the fact they're struggling so much in the election goes to show how poorly they've campaigned. They should have walked this against the party that got us into this mess. Miliband wouldn't even accept labour over spent last time around, how can we trust him to make the necessary decision if he did get back. It'd mean putting the economy into reverse.

Conversely it'll be great to see the SNP a do so well North of the border, Scottish Labour have had it coming up there!
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #584 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 21:25:13 »

Tories =bedroom tax
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: