Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996053 times)
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 21:11:26 »

So potentially we could be ruled from both Brussels and Edinburgh
A bit like we were when Labour pulled the strings, de je vous
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 10:09:24 »

quote author=Ardiles

the First Past the Post (FPTP) voting system creates a distortion.  The SNP is on course - according to latest polls - to win approx 90% of the parliamentary seats in Scotland.  But they will do so with approx 45% of the popular vote.  And 45% was the proportion of the electorate that voted for independence.  No coincidence there.  So while it could well be an SNP landslide in Scotland, they will likely achieve it with a minority share of the vote.

FPTP distorts both results and political discussions.  You would think, from a lot of political commentary, that virtually all Scots are going to vote SNP in May.  Not true.  And you might also think that the Tory voter is all but extinct in Scotland.  Again, not true.  One in 7 voters in Scotland votes Tory; but the FPTP system conspires to give them just 1 MP (out of 59) up there.  Again, a distortion.

[/quote]

Some really interesting points on this thread.  I had no idea on what support the Scots Nat polling landslide was based, so thanks for that insight, Ardiles.

Westminster had its PR opportunity early in this term but a poor version was proposed by the government and rejected.  Tories and Labour have always opposed PR so they can hardly be put out about the distortion having enjoyed outright majorities on minority votes for years.  

Interestingly, the Euro elections which are based on PR produced these results

Party                                           %   MEPs

UK Independence Party                27.49    24
Labour                                        25.40    20
Conservative                                23.93   19
Green                                          7.87      3
Scottish National Party                  2.46      2
Liberal Democrat                          6.87      1
Sinn Fein                                      n/a*     1
Democratic Unionist Party              n/a*     1
Plaid Cymru                                  n/a     1
Ulster Unionist Party                      n/a*     1

(*No PR and more seats per vote than the rest of the uk!)

« Last Edit: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 10:16:57 by RedRag » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 16:07:39 »

Dunno about anyone else but I'm warming to Ed Milliband more and more as time goes by. The Tory press going after him with pathetic insults only endears him more. They're doing him more good than damage.

Chicken Cameron on the other hand getting biased coverage isn't painting himself in glory is he?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 16:15:33 »

Ed Milliband comes across as a rabbit caught in the headlights every time I see him. he could be a genius, but that's not the way he's coming across. Cameron is far more polished even though he rarely actually says much.

they both seem like public school, not got a clue about the average man in the street posh pricks through.

but more so, though I probably understand less than 1% of the actual issue, labours financial noises make me worried that they'll fuck the economy even more than last time.

for the first time in my life I'm more likely to vote Tory than labour.
OrangeTransits

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 16:21:42 »

Why, waste of time..........

I live in Spelthorne and the MP is Kwasi Kwarteng who was Camerons fag at Eton who was Boris Johnsons fag at Eton also.

So basically Kwarteng has consumed Camerons Jizz on a Digestive and Cameron has consumed Boris's Jizz. Also on a Digestive.

Milliband doesn't seem capable of consuming anything without getting it all down his shirt.
I suspect he could give my windscreen a good clean though.

Milliband got turned down from Eton on the basis of he wouldn't pass the FAG initiation ceremony known as soggy biscuit.

Alex Salmond is treasonous Cunt of the highest order.

Farage will take all the tax off a pint of Beer.

From where I'm at exactly at this point in time I know who gets my vote. If I can even bother ............

You'll never take the Townend !!!!!!
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 16:35:04 »

labours financial noises make me worried that they'll fuck the economy even more than last time.

That's pretty much where I am, if Balls gets his hands on the economy we could go backwards again. More cuts are needed and the Tories relish that stuff.

Live in a fairly safe Tory seat but UKIP are only party who might have a slight sniff of it so a Tory vote here is a no brainer.

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 16:52:04 »

How anyone could vote Tory is beyond me unless you are loaded.  Benefit the wealthy. Protect paedophiles. Hammer the vulnerable. The list of their despicable acts are endless. Truely abhorrent people.

If cuts have to be made then why are they damaging everything in the process? These are things that inevitably will have to be repaired. Schools, the nhs and frontline services are being wrecked by them. They are pro hunting with hounds too which disgusts me. I hate them!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 16:55:49 »

the economy is so screwed the cuts are needed regardless of the consequences. we can't afford many basics, let alone the overblown public sector labour created last time.

I'm not saying I'll vote Tory, just that I have them ahead of labour.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:08:04 »

How anyone could vote Tory is beyond me unless you are loaded.  Benefit the wealthy. Protect paedophiles. Hammer the vulnerable. The list of their despicable acts are endless. Truely abhorrent people.

If cuts have to be made then why are they damaging everything in the process? These are things that inevitably will have to be repaired. Schools, the nhs and frontline services are being wrecked by them. They are pro hunting with hounds too which disgusts me. I hate them!

This really annoys me.  I'm no Tory, but I do completely understand why a large proportion of the electorate votes for them.  In terms of economic competence, they wipe the floor with Labour.

I also dislike the cabal from elite public schools that runs the party, but to suggest that only the wealthy should vote for them is grossly simplistic and ignores a myriad of reasons why they are favoured by millions of voters.  And if you can show me stats that proves that Conservatives are more predisposed to paedophilia than anyone else, I'd love to see them.

No one likes cuts to public services.  But sadly, after the monumental fuck up of Balls/Brown 'no more boom & bust' years of the early 2000s, they are regrettably necessary.  Unless, of course, we are comfortable with saddling our grandchildren with crippling debts to pay for an uncosted, early 21st century spending splurge.  I know I'm not.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:14:05 »

Er...Rotherham?

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:15:07 »

I'm no Tory,

To be fair you do a very good impression of one.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:21:28 »

To be fair you do a very good impression of one.

Economically, I am.  I recognise that.  Socially, I'm not.

I've voted for them once, in 1992.  But that was a sensible thing to do in 1992.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:22:26 »

Er...Rotherham?

You know what party ran Rotherham council and therefore social services don't you?

Not that any party actually protects paedophiles mind you, deary me
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:24:51 »

Dunno about anyone else but I'm warming to Ed Milliband more and more as time goes by.

I wouldn't trust Miliband to tie up his own shoelaces let alone run the country
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:28:10 by Summerof69 » Logged

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:26:55 »

You know what party ran Rotherham council and therefore social services don't you?

Not that any party actually protects paedophiles mind you, deary me

That was kind of my point. Rotherham (and other examples) was/is a cover-up by the establishment; Police, Social Services and the Council.

Child abuse is a serious crime, and one that is politically neutral, to use it as a way of scoring political points as arriba did is pretty low and diminishes the scale of the problem.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:32:28 by ghanimah » Logged

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: