Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trains  (Read 97862 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 09:39:50 »

I still have my 'original' set (in its blue tin container).  A favourite variant of the game used to be 'Test Players v Famous People from History'!  Smiley

Firstly I need to get back to Wilf's original correct spelling Owzthat.. a set in decent condition in its blue box with rules goes for £40 on e-bay. Not that you'd wish to sell such a lovely thing.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Friday, October 27, 2017, 22:19:47 »

Have to say, having seen / been pulled by the Scotsman recently, it was somewhat underwhelming. Shitty squeaky little whistle and pretty quiet. Nothing like a good old Western Manor or Hall working hard.

Reg, the realtimetrains website is great, so if a train is delayed you'll be able to see it's so, and stay in the pub for another 15 minutes or whatever. No more waiting around sitting on a trolley for ages, playing Owzthat with yer mates.
Just an update its now Royal Scot tomorrow so at least a Swindon connection there.....
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 15:49:55 »

One for you Castle fans - well Reg at least....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-birmingham-41801693/clun-castle-steams-again-after-ten-year-restoration 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Monday, October 30, 2017, 17:03:02 »

A sexy beast to be sure, if you notice when it goes to Oxford next year, then it might be worth making the effort to get over and see it.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 18:28:37 »

Up your street Reg?

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17454889.steam-train-trips-travel-through-wiltshire-this-spring/
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 18:35:43 »

I saw that and got a frisson of excitement... but reading just showed typical Adver poor quality... it says 3 and then outlines 2 neither of which come too close to Swindon.

I have got a lengthy train trip to do soon... reading Kilvert's Diary set partly around his Langley Burrell curacy (near Chippenham) in the 1870's it was easier and quicker to get around by train than it is now.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Monday, February 25, 2019, 15:08:53 »

A sexy beast to be sure, if you notice when it goes to Oxford next year, then it might be worth making the effort to get over and see it.

Looks like these trains will be running March 9th, April 6th/June 1st/July 6th/October 12th. Birmingham to Oxford via Worcester and Swindon.

1115ish through Swindon http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U10732/2019/03/09/advanced
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Monday, February 25, 2019, 20:43:26 »

I'm not a Steam fanatic but locally not far from me. Give a mile or two is the Midland Railway Centre. It's a little dishevelled from it's heyday but it still has some interesting engines there and also still has a couple of working sheds.

Mostly it's the Princess Royal Locomotive; Margaret Rose, which I hear people travel all over to see her. They stoke her up now and again and have her trundle along the small line here. Even though I'm not a huge fan, I love it that I can hear on occasion the "toot-toot" and slow chugg of a distant engine. Incredibly special and something that should continually be preserved. To know of an engineering feat is one thing but to be able to see it working is another.

Likely that Reg has visited but has anyone else? I know Pete Waterman gets in there now and again.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 14:44:26 »

I'm not a Steam fanatic but locally not far from me. Give a mile or two is the Midland Railway Centre. It's a little dishevelled from it's heyday but it still has some interesting engines there and also still has a couple of working sheds.

Mostly it's the Princess Royal Locomotive; Margaret Rose, which I hear people travel all over to see her. They stoke her up now and again and have her trundle along the small line here. Even though I'm not a huge fan, I love it that I can hear on occasion the "toot-toot" and slow chugg of a distant engine. Incredibly special and something that should continually be preserved. To know of an engineering feat is one thing but to be able to see it working is another.

Likely that Reg has visited but has anyone else? I know Pete Waterman gets in there now and again.

Where are you, I seem to be spending too much of my time in Ripley at the moment and its a complete ballache to get to!

Never been to Butterley, Both Princess Margaret Rose and Duchess of Sutherland* have Swindon connections being designed by Sir William Stanier who was born and trained with the GWR at Swindon before being headhunted by the LMS in the 1930's when he was in his 50's.

* Being a pedant and I know you like that Wink, I suspect you mean Duchess of Sutherland as PRM has not had a fire in her belly since 1996!

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #204 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 14:56:56 »

Never been there myself, have driven past it on the A38 a few times.

I have met Pete Waterman at a couple of rail connected places, hes a lovely bloke and always has time for anyone who has anything to do with railways and especially with a Swindon connection.

He spoke to me for about 10 mins once when I told him I used to work at the rail works in Swindon.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 15:35:45 »

Never been there myself, have driven past it on the A38 a few times.

I have met Pete Waterman at a couple of rail connected places, hes a lovely bloke and always has time for anyone who has anything to do with railways and especially with a Swindon connection.

He spoke to me for about 10 mins once when I told him I used to work at the rail works in Swindon.

He does not have a particularly good reputation or image in railway preservation circles.....
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #206 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 16:13:03 »

He does not have a particularly good reputation or image in railway preservation circles.....
Thats interesting as I have never heard anybody say a bad word about him. I have met him a couple of times at the WSR.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 18:50:10 »

Where are you, I seem to be spending too much of my time in Ripley at the moment and its a complete ballache to get to!

Never been to Butterley, Both Princess Margaret Rose and Duchess of Sutherland* have Swindon connections being designed by Sir William Stanier who was born and trained with the GWR at Swindon before being headhunted by the LMS in the 1930's when he was in his 50's.

* Being a pedant and I know you like that Wink, I suspect you mean Duchess of Sutherland as PRM has not had a fire in her belly since 1996!

Yes apologies the PMR is preserved in the West Shed at MRC and can been seen but no longer operational. The DoS is the one they must haul out every now and again or loaned out. They have Saloon used by Winston Churchill and a few other bits and pieces at West Shed.

One thing? Why the fuck are you spending a lot of time in Ripley? It's just a nondescript town. Got to be planning related, I would guess? I wouldn't say it's that hard to get to though? Just of the A38 or from the M1 via South Normanton (Pinxton to us locals)/ Mind if you're coming via NE like say M6, A50 then that takes you further south. Best bet is M61, M60, then pick up the A6, brings you pretty much right into Ripley via Ambergate. A6 is nicer than the A50 also. More scenic.

'Incessant Nonsense'

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Thursday, February 28, 2019, 13:19:29 »

Yes apologies the PMR is preserved in the West Shed at MRC and can been seen but no longer operational. The DoS is the one they must haul out every now and again or loaned out. They have Saloon used by Winston Churchill and a few other bits and pieces at West Shed.

One thing? Why the fuck are you spending a lot of time in Ripley? It's just a nondescript town. Got to be planning related, I would guess? I wouldn't say it's that hard to get to though? Just of the A38 or from the M1 via South Normanton (Pinxton to us locals)/ Mind if you're coming via NE like say M6, A50 then that takes you further south. Best bet is M61, M60, then pick up the A6, brings you pretty much right into Ripley via Ambergate. A6 is nicer than the A50 also. More scenic.

Amber Vallley Council offices are in Ripley. I normally get the train to Manchester then travel with a colleague, Manchester-Ripley takes a bloody age.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Thursday, February 28, 2019, 16:09:13 »

Amber Vallley Council offices are in Ripley. I normally get the train to Manchester then travel with a colleague, Manchester-Ripley takes a bloody age.

I know. So do you work for AVBC then, or on their behalf?

Well that is why people have said for ages that Ripley would still benefit from a Train Station. A halfway point between Chesterfield & Derby. As well as close proximity to Notts, Sheff & Leicester makes it an ideal commuter town. The bus network is pretty good offering direct travel to Derby, Notts & Chesterfield. Alfreton  has one and lots of nondescript ones still exist between Belper & Matlock (Ambergate, Whatstandwell, Cromford). Funding aside, I've no idea why they've never reconnected the line up to Langley Mill, it's hardly a huge amount of track needed, although I do appreciate it's not a simple engineering task. The parish covers around 25k residents but the wider area (Loscoe, Codnor, Heage, Pentrich, Marehay, Denby, etc) makes up for probably around 70k, and as you'll likely know Amber Valley as a whole must cover a population of around 130k?

I take it you get the Manchester to Alfreton train. With a change at Sheff? Then it's either bus or taxi to Ripley. I bet you'd love it if the train went to Ripley!  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: