Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trains  (Read 98766 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 20:25:29 »

They are live in Swindon tomorrow Reg, get yourself down there Reg?

They're doing 125's that's Talk Talk land.

The fella who photographs little used stations an absolute star....he's been to all stations in GB, but only publishes the obscurities.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/transport/video-britain-s-most-dedicated-trainspotter-finishes-marathon-effort-to-visit-every-uk-station-in-cambridgeshire-village-1-7374393
« Last Edit: Monday, July 11, 2016, 20:42:21 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #166 on: Monday, August 22, 2016, 20:41:14 »

Another part of Swindon's heritage being saved, and about time... c.17 mins in.....

Points West, Evening News: 22/08/2016: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07nr6jt via @bbciplayer
Talk Talk

« Reply #167 on: Monday, September 5, 2016, 23:26:20 »

Took a trip down to Devon yesterday. Got a Two Together Railcard so the cost to Exeter St Davids was peanuts. GWR and Devon County Council are running summer Sunday services to Okehampton (the former LSWR station on the old mainline to Plymouth) which is now the terminus of the heritage Dartmoor Railway. They have a short working to the mothballed Meldon Quarry and just my luck - if you like BR Class 4s - that the recently purchased by a private buyer from Direct Rail Services Class 47 47828 was doing the biz. Straight off of mainline services and Sandite workings apparently.

I love Class 47s, my favourites after the Westerns and ahead of HSTs. A brief conversation with the driver and I got to sit in the cab too!

Next Sunday (11th) is the last weekend of trains to Okehampton this year. Book it now if you fancy it. I have pored over the railway atlas maps of Devon and Cornwall for years but never ever thought that I would travel to Okehampton on a train, much less a Sprinter.

As we bought a rover ticket we went back to the beautifully preserved and maintained Crediton station and then on to Barnstaple on the Tarka Line, once a major LSWR junction for Ilfracombe, Torrington and the long defunct Lynton and Barnstaple narrow gauge railway. We even found the old Town station in a housing estate on the quayside.

Just to keep Reg happy, it was HSTs from Swindon to Exeter and back and I loved that too  Grin
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Tuesday, September 6, 2016, 09:05:55 »

Very nice.

To me getting on a train at Swindon and going west, feels right, getting on a train and going north, south or east is OK, but doesn't have the same feel of emotion or excitement. No idea why.

Devon got badly hit by Beeching, Cornwall perhaps less so, as there are still a couple of curious little branches left.

I have been on the Barnstaple - Exeter. Lovely.
Talk Talk

« Reply #169 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 15:57:14 »

Seen at Swindon station last night. "They are trains Jim, but not as we know them!"

Hitachi Inter City Express number 002 running on diesel

The new and the old. Forty years between them

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 16:12:15 »

I'm on a train now. True story.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 16:13:21 »

Is that the stock for when the line is electrified?
Talk Talk

« Reply #172 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 16:18:23 »

Yes and there's two flavours Reg. A purely overhead electric version and a dual power diesel/overhead electric one - which can run on beyond the GW Electrification project area. What pissed me off was that they uprated the engines from the original spec so that the ICEs could manage the Devon banks. GRRRRR. Was hoping that the 125s would hang around on the GW main lines into Cornwall for a lot longer :-(
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 16:29:06 »

Can't wait to open the door via the push of a button, instead of leaning out of an open window when there are normally any number of people waiting on the platform who are much better placed to do the the job.

Hope the seats are comfy as well.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 16:29:13 »

Yes and there's two flavours Reg. A purely overhead electric version and a dual power diesel/overhead electric one - which can run on beyond the GW Electrification project area. What pissed me off was that they uprated the engines from the original spec so that the ICEs could manage the Devon banks. GRRRRR. Was hoping that the 125s would hang around on the GW main lines into Cornwall for a lot longer :-(

Ooh, shame about the 125's, but the diesel/overhead sounds well sexy and probably prone to breakdown. In the words of the great Mick Jones, Godzilla ate the bullet train.
Talk Talk

« Reply #175 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 17:01:04 »

Ha, the Clash indeed!

The new ICEs are quite clever really, the same electric traction motors are used from either the overhead wires or from alternators on the diesel engines (unlike the 125s they are underfloor in the coaches so will be as noisy as the horrid Voyager Cross Country units). When the day comes - which will definitely not be in my lifetime - and the whole of the network has been electrified then the engines are removable too. I think the plan is to leave one in for emergency power for the scenario you describe.

The interior looked really nice, standard class seating is mainly in sets of four sharing a table and a whole window with a few airline type seat rows interspersed.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 17:42:51 »

They are a modern train and thus the seating will be nowhere near as comfy as that found on older stock!

Northern are so short of stock that we have this little ensemble running past the bottom of the garden a few times each day until 2017 at least, its very nice to not have an engine under the floor and is so much quieter, however they are often very busy as I understand people have been travelling from all over the country to sample the old days.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 18:24:56 »

Class 37 if I'm not mistaken. Lovely engine, all built between 60 and 65. In my 1985 Ian Allan there were 308, of which I'd spotted 56.
Talk Talk

« Reply #178 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 21:35:49 »

There are still an amazing amount around Reg. One of the most versatile diesels BR ever owned. I saw a pair double ending the Network Rail Ultrasonic Test Train at Didcot last week.

Still operated by NR, DRS and Colas. Much more info at www.class37info.co.uk/

If you made the effort and plied the network I think that you could still probably spot 56  Cool
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #179 on: Thursday, October 13, 2016, 23:34:57 »

Didn't spot as many as I should have (37s, that is - steam man, me), but did ride on the ones up in Caithness. Georgemas Jnc, a 37 trundles down from Thurso, picks up one coach from the Wick train, travels 5 miles and err, does the reverse half an hour later. 3 times a day. Bonkers from any viewpoint, esp financial.

But the 'grunt'... yep, can see the attraction.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: