Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trains  (Read 97857 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 19:31:04 »

Trains are terrible. GWR are useless, Southeastern are shysters and Southern don't even have space for luggage on their fucking Gatwick service.
Talk Talk

« Reply #151 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 20:11:35 »

I stand corrected, the W and B would have been too narrow for a barge as defined.

However, barges were used on the Wey Navigation (the oldest canalised river in the UK) from Shepperton up to Coxes Mill to transport grain until quite recently. The mill only closed in 1983, not sure when the barges stopped. Yeah, it's now apartments  Roll Eyes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coxes_lock

The canal locks down to the Thames were made wide enough for the barges but upstream from there it's narrowboats only.

One of my favourite canals, had about seven weekend/week trips on it over the years. Beautiful countryside and lots of canalside pubs all of the way through Guildford to Godalming.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 20:23:09 »

I'd also have to recommend the Basingstoke Canal which passes very near us and is, effectively, a tributary (do canals have tributaries?) of the Wey Navigation.  Lots of restoration work done recently.  Wonderful running route.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 20:36:59 »

I'd also have to recommend the Basingstoke Canal which passes very near us and is, effectively, a tributary (do canals have tributaries?) of the Wey Navigation.  Lots of restoration work done recently.  Wonderful running route.

Think they are branches, much like railways.
Talk Talk

« Reply #154 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 20:38:13 »

Yes. I have poked a boat's nose a mile or so down it before. Unfortunately it will never get to Basingstoke again due to the Greywell Tunnel collapsing years ago so it stops a bit short.

It has a wonderful mazy route, it's a "follow the contours" canal rather than an engineered one.

Last time I looked it was still suffering from water supply problems? I'm certain it must be navigable over the last month or so though  Grin
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 21:17:31 »

I think the water supply problems are at the western end.  It's always navigable on 'our' section through Frimley & Ash Vale.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 23:48:53 »

However, barges were used on the Wey Navigation (the oldest canalised river in the UK) from Shepperton up to Coxes Mill to transport grain until quite recently. The mill only closed in 1983, not sure when the barges stopped. Yeah, it's now apartments  Roll Eyes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coxes_lock

The canal locks down to the Thames were made wide enough for the barges but upstream from there it's narrowboats only.

One of my favourite canals, had about seven weekend/week trips on it over the years. Beautiful countryside and lots of canalside pubs all of the way through Guildford to Godalming.
Width usually depended on what sort of cargo and more importantly the budgets of the promoter's although available water supply sometimes dictated as obviously narrow locks need so much less water supply. I only ever had one 'narrow' canal on my patch.... The locks were not much wider than a canoe.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Friday, December 18, 2015, 10:37:47 »

Oh the APT - what memories

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35061511
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Friday, December 18, 2015, 10:49:26 »

Is that what memories, in a kind of swoon fashion?  Or what memories, in a matter of fact way?

The latter for me. Tory underinvestment Smiley, as Thatcher spunked the nation's new found oil wealth, paying for mass unemployment, as manufacturing industry was decimated in preparation for privatisation and a low wage economy.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Friday, December 18, 2015, 10:59:33 »

Is that what memories, in a kind of swoon fashion?  Or what memories, in a matter of fact way?

The latter for me. Tory underinvestment Smiley, as Thatcher spunked the nation's new found oil wealth, paying for mass unemployment, as manufacturing industry was decimated in preparation for privatisation and a low wage economy.

Oh Reg  Pint

Saw it a few times and as a young lad at the time the future of trains was exciting!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Friday, December 18, 2015, 11:35:16 »

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Friday, December 18, 2015, 11:42:16 »

My favourite Simpsons episode...

Gary: Oh, don't worry, Mr. Simpson, we can take care of ourselves.
Snake: Uh, wallet inspector!
Benjamin: Oh, here you go. I believe that's all in order.
Snake: Wow, I can't believe that worked! (runs away)
Homer: Hey wait a minute that's not the wallet inspector!

Smiley
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Friday, December 18, 2015, 22:29:00 »

That is all I think when I see this thread Cheesy in the nicest possible way of course.

I'm just a jock, Marge. It's my responsibility.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 19:08:55 »

BBC 4 show with Peter Snow......Trainspotting Live  Smiley
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 20:15:59 »

BBC 4 show with Peter Snow......Trainspotting Live  Smiley
They are live in Swindon tomorrow, get yourself down there Reg?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: