Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trains  (Read 97848 times)
Talk Talk

« Reply #135 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 12:03:45 »

Memory jogged, thanks FH.

I was at Swindon station on Wednesday 2nd waiting for a train to Paddington. Sat in platform 1 was the Network Rail Test Train (not the HST one) with a Colas Rail Class 37 one end and one of the last surviving main line certified Class 31s (Network Rail) the other end. I didn't bother taking any photos as there was a flock of gricers with cameras for this pretty rare combination.

But something like this:

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #136 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 12:45:14 »

Fascinating
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 12:53:37 »

I haven't done that one but want to. I like the Talyllyn, been there a couple of times. Tywyn to Abergynolwyn and Nant Gwernol. I read Railway Adventure by L.T.C. (Tom) Rolt when I was a youngster which was all about saving the little line and how a group of volunteers managed it on a shoestring. It was the first preserved railway in the UK.

http://www.talyllyn.co.uk

Rolt is perhaps more famous for his work on the preservation of the canal network....an interesting life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._T._C._Rolt

Not averse to a bit of canalology myself (just to upset Ironside)

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 12:54:59 »

Fascinating

Yes, indeed.
Talk Talk

« Reply #139 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 13:24:13 »

Rolt is perhaps more famous for his work on the preservation of the canal network....an interesting life.

Indeed, Narrow Boat was a book that kicked off interest in saving the canals and is also a great read. Have you watched that Great Canal Journeys series with Timothy West and Prunella Scales Reg? There was a section in one of the first series where they visited Rolt's widow, Sonia. I hadn't realised that it was mainly her that set up the Inland Waterways Association.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonia_Rolt
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 13:42:18 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._T._C._Rolt

Not averse to a bit of canalology myself (just to upset Ironside)

As a 'canal expert' Michael Portillo's words, not mine - what do you want to know  Wink
Talk Talk

« Reply #141 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 13:57:19 »

Back on topic, just to annoy the hell out of Jayo  Grin

Had a trip from Reading to Swindon in the only rebranded FGW to GWR HST set last week. Love the retro metal logo on the power cars. The first class HST carriages were upgraded a while back (hence my bemusement with where the initials on the seat backs had come from) but this one has fully refurbed standard class in green, it looks really smart. Shame it will be the only one, it's not worth doing to the rest as they only have a couple of years to go   Crying

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 15:02:45 »

Indeed, Narrow Boat was a book that kicked off interest in saving the canals and is also a great read. Have you watched that Great Canal Journeys series with Timothy West and Prunella Scales Reg? There was a section in one of the first series where they visited Rolt's widow, Sonia. I hadn't realised that it was mainly her that set up the Inland Waterways Association.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonia_Rolt

Where a railway and canal meet each other is always quite exciting....as the man with the stick shows locally in 1953.

I watched one of Prunella's canal shows, but got a bit upset, because of her fall into dementia....I remember when she was a bit of a milf in Marriage Lines with Richard Briers.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 15:04:48 »

Where a railway and canal meet each other is always quite exciting....as the man with the stick shows locally in 1953.

I watched one of Prunella's canal shows, but got a bit upset, because of her fall into dementia....I remember when she was a bit of a milf in Marriage Lines with Richard Briers.

My dad always used to go on about the canal through Swindon.... and trains!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 16:46:35 »

My dad always used to go on about the canal through Swindon.... and trains!

Bewster thinks I know his mother  Wink.  Hope you're not implying the same  Smiley
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 16:50:52 »

Bewster thinks I know his mother  Wink.  Hope you're not implying the same  Smiley

I am not sure whether my father could post on here - I hope that he doesn't. Also I assume you are  not my father as your posts are not all about Maurice Owen!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 17:04:28 »

I am not sure whether my father could post on here - I hope that he doesn't. Also I assume you are  not my father as your posts are not all about Maurice Owen!

Phew.

Trains, barges and Maurice Owen, the old man has taste. 

Of course, the Wilts and Berks, joined the Thames at Abingdon where Maurice originally came from. Once upon a time he could have made the journey by barge to his beloved CG.
Talk Talk

« Reply #147 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 18:45:22 »

Of course, the Wilts and Berks, joined the Thames at Abingdon where Maurice originally came from. Once upon a time he could have made the journey by barge to his beloved CG.

"Narrow boat, it's narrow boat!"

http://www.canalscape.net/Dont%20Call%20it%20a%20Barge/Dont%20Call%20it%20a%20Barge.htm
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 19:04:47 »

I stand corrected, the W and B would have been too narrow for a barge as defined.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Monday, December 14, 2015, 19:05:08 »

I told a friend I'd had a holiday on a 60ft narrow-boat.

He said: "That's not very narrow."

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: