Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trains  (Read 97854 times)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Monday, December 15, 2014, 21:17:34 »

I know that HSTs are not everybody's cup of tea but there was something poetic about FGW's 43185 "Great Western" leaving Swindon Station in July. Particularly as they have been re-engined from their original Paxman Valentas to MTUs, the successor to Maybach whose engines were used in the Swindon built Warships and all of the Westerns.

They sent two HST power cars to Exeter today to rescue the failed sleeper service and get it to Penzance!!
Hexagon

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Monday, December 15, 2014, 23:15:12 »

Seems they couldn't fix the failed 57 today, apparently the Paddington bound sleeper tonight will be formed with two HST's.
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 00:30:47 »

Smiley Ace,

The 2 minute wait is worth it, builds the excitement.

Going to the York Railway Museum recently, there's a lovely installation there, on till March, all about train spotting, with quotes from many an old 'spotter. Curated by Ian Macmillan, the Bard of Barnsley, the highlight is a series of films by Andrew Cross, including a few filmed in the west - up on the hill at Uffington for example.

His technique is simple - the camera doesn't move, he just films a view. At some point a train or 2 crosses the screen. It's the anticipation which gets you. I could see some (many?) people thinking watching paint dry is more interesting, however to those of us of a certain age the wait for a train to appear was a big part of the 'thing' about railways.

And his shots of freight trains in the US are stunning, both in towns and in the desert.

I'd like to think it'll come to Steam sometime after York.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 09:43:57 »

Does anyone remember Ivor the engine?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 10:25:40 »

Chuuu-t-cuff, chuu-t-cuff.

Jones the steam, don't forget Jones the steam.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 11:03:53 »

Wales has still got some great "little" railways....my fave is the Vale of Rheidol, Aberystwyth to Devil's Bridge.  A true curio it hung on as BR's last steam line until as late as 89.

A mate in the late 70's used to live in a place called Aberffrwd, which was slap bang on the line. Needless to say he often got a visit from me as you could nip into Aber on one of the Swindon built locos, like Owain Glendower.  It was also at that time one of the last places in Britain to see red kites.

The main drawback, inevitably were the locals, the nearest pub was a good 30 minute walk, up through some woods out of the valley, but it got torched by Welsh extremists as the landlord was English.

http://www.rheidolrailway.co.uk/
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #126 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 11:11:07 »

I worked on the "Prince of Wales" from the Vale of Rheidol railway as an apprentice at BREL as we used to overhaul them, it was part of the apprentices for pipe fitting.

It was wierd working on a BR blue steam engine.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Talk Talk

« Reply #127 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 11:52:56 »

Wales has still got some great "little" railways....my fave is the Vale of Rheidol, Aberystwyth to Devil's Bridge.  A true curio it hung on as BR's last steam line until as late as 89

I haven't done that one but want to. I like the Talyllyn, been there a couple of times. Tywyn to Abergynolwyn and Nant Gwernol. I read Railway Adventure by L.T.C. (Tom) Rolt when I was a youngster which was all about saving the little line and how a group of volunteers managed it on a shoestring. It was the first preserved railway in the UK.

http://www.talyllyn.co.uk
Talk Talk

« Reply #128 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 11:59:31 »

Seems they couldn't fix the failed 57 today, apparently the Paddington bound sleeper tonight will be formed with two HST's.

A Zombie not working? Surely not. It brings a new meaning for the passengers on the sleeper I guess...

ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Friday, December 19, 2014, 21:25:20 »

For those interested in such things it would seem that the Penzance sleeper tonight will be formed of FOUR HST power cars - sadly it appears that two of the cars have failed and are being taken down on the sleeper train - no 57 still!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 01:04:46 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0120330/in-view-men-of-steam#group=p025jt33
Talk Talk

« Reply #131 on: Wednesday, February 18, 2015, 22:22:56 »

There used to be a station at Purton as well, given the way that Swindon has expanded to more or less swallow Purton, you'd think there'd be a good case for re-opening a Purton station.

building a commuter railway station off Purton Road.

http://swindonlink.com/residents-organisations-speak-out-for-thamesdown-drive-extension-politicians-agree-it-should-be-built-but-when/
OrangeTransits

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Thursday, February 19, 2015, 00:04:27 »

George Osbourne looks even more of a clueless Cunt in that picture than he does normally ......

You'll never take the Townend !!!!!!
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 17:04:14 »

For those that like this stuff
The King George V will be returning to Swindon next year as part of the 175th anniversary of the birth of the railway works

http://www.flicwiltshire.com/News/General/Plans-in-place-to-celebrate-175th-anniversary-of-Swindons-railway-works.aspx#.VRQ68fmsXit
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 19:40:09 »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: