Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Sheffield United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 37481 times)
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 17:50:10 »

I welcomed my second daughter into the world just before kickoff. Clearly a good omen and the result NID :-)

Congratulations smallie. My first grandchild was born Friday 21st. He has a 100% record so far. Your girl and my grandson = best additions to the squad this season Smiley
AldbourneRed

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 17:51:56 »

Foderingham played an absolute blinder, several truly first class saves including the one that set up the counter attack for the 2nd goal. I know it's unlikely but we need to be doing everything possible to keep him next season.

United were surprisingly quiet in the first half, we could have easily come away with more than one at half time, but then they came at us in the 2nd as we were tiring and showed up some of our weaknesses.

Great to see Louis get a goal, he was properly chuffed at the end, brilliant to see a team with some passion again after several lacklustre performances. I'm particularly a fan of Troy and Stephens at the back, very robust defence compared to some of the performances we've seen this season and really good to see Nathan back to form.

The lad had a great time, particularly the well recommended half time chocolate.

Even if looking upwards in the table is still a tad optimistic that's all part of being a football fan, things are either great or dire, there's very little middle ground. Feels like there's definitely still some drama left this season if we can maintain the momentum.
kerry red

« Reply #92 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 17:53:38 »

Well, what a 90 minutes that was!

Very good first half and they murdered us second half.

I can't say enough good things about Wes, the save that led to the winning goal was just fantastic.

Understandably, the young players and those that have not played for ages tired towards the end but there is some steel and bloody mindedness about this group.

Yet again Troy was immense - he is a must keep for next season.

Now, the huge positive apart from the result. Cox was what I reckon we've been missing in midfield - a niggly, get the foot in and play it simple midfielder.

He reminds me of Ross McClaren - he even runs like him.

I can't see the logic of letting him go and taking a chance on someone else.

Gladwin and Smith were average today but for a side bereft of at least 3 players who would be considered starters every week it was really impressive and augurs well for next year.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 17:58:13 »

The typical game of two halves!!  We were the best side in the first, they stepped it up in the second and gave us the runaround.  Wes was fantastic, two saves in the first half were top drawer, the one in the second was world class and 20 seconds later we scored!!  Thought Storey had a good game - always available and an outlet as compared to Smith who couldn't do a thing right today.  Somehow or other we need to keep the defence for next season, Troy - who many on here were moaning about when he was played in midfield - was immense again.  Pity the ref was totally biased towards them in the second half.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 18:25:47 »

We're a point off the play offs....
How the fuck did that happen?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 18:27:59 »

We won 3 games.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 18:31:07 »

Peterborough play a game in hand against Colchester in the week, then they have travel to Wolves on Saturday.
We travel to Carlisle, somehow, although I can't see it happening we have every chance of sneaking in.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 18:32:56 »

Excellent. A smash and grab but that is what made it even sweeter. A great counter attacking goal.

Troy and Stephens are a superb partnership and if we have those two next season I will be very pleased.

Storey looks a different player and I will be eating my words if he continues like that. His strike partner Smith, on the other hand, put in one of the worst individual performances of the season - labelling him a carthorse would be an understatement. No lack of effort but a huge lack of ability. I think everyone in the ground was laughing at his display by the time he was subbed.

Pritchard back next week is a big positive as we lacked creativity at times today, especially in the second half.

Cox was impressive, Kasim reasonable and I thought although Gladwin started well he got worse and worse and Cooper made the right change.

6 games to go and a point off the play offs - I was widely mocked for my pre-season thoughts but I said I would be happy with a rally and flirt with the top six and that is what we have got. I expect as most others do we will fall short but there are positives to take.

Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 18:35:32 »

I love my team, that is all

I come from a land down-under
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #99 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 18:39:21 »

In the first half we were pretty solid apart from two corners on the trot where we allowed them headers and Fods made 2 good saves particularly the 2nd which pissed off their hirsute no 4. I don't know who made the pass to Storey but it was a great finish from a player who allegedly only possesses pace.
In the 2nd half we went to total shit. Nate Dog was getting fucked over. Cox did a Paul Daniels magic trick and disappeared. Kasim was useless and got a booking for gobbing off. Cooper / Sherwood really needs to sort this out next season.  Alex Smith was blowing out of his arse as was his namesake who was trapping the ball further than most could kick it. Gladwin was knackered. Somehow out of this we got the winner but only after a fantastic save from Fods. We must try and keep him next season. He is back to his best.
Louis was just a bit pleased with his goal and nice to see Nate Dog who had been subbed run around the pitch to celebrate with Louis.
I'm a Storey lover but he really played well today and looked so much fitter than a lot of the others. It was also nice to Waldon come on and get a few minutes.
The forst half we were really good, the second all the old habits came back and we were bollox...but we won. The midfield, in particular were shite in the 2nd half.
If I was a Blade I'd be pretty pissed off.    
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 18:44:19 »

Congratulations smaltowngypsymassacre.

How I saw it:

First 20 minutes we pressed them scored the goal and nearly forced them into a mistake that presented another one on one. After that period we played controlled passing football that while along the back line at times was with purpose - to keep the ball from the opposition. We did try and fashion a chance or two too, it wasn't all tippy tappy fanny flicky football.

Sheff U had a couple of first half chances too, Wes got down well to save a low shot, then following a corner palmed over a powerful but straight at him header from Alan form The Hangover.

Second half Sheff U mainly pushed us back. The equaliser was a well worked move down the left that was played across goal and tapped in from the unmarked man on the back stick.

We weren't really out of it, Storey gave us an outlet of sorts, and the Sheff U defence never looked totally at ease with the front 2 despite Smith (M) having an absolute stinker. They did have a shout for a penalty, and had we been at bramall lane I'm sure it would have been given. Then just as they had a great chance to win it Wes pulled off a blinder of a one handed save, then set us on the way to counter. When Byrne squared to Louis it looked like he'd fluffed his shot, but the keeper went to ground to early and the ball somehow evaded his grasp to score a winner that hasn't felt as good since that McCormack goal at Northampton.

The ref I think will be disliked by both sets of fans. I think he got a lot right, but gave some odd ones too.

Great win. Now nobody mention the Playoff word. I did once but I think I got away with it.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 19:02:39 »

I welcomed my second daughter into the world just before kickoff. Clearly a good omen and the result NID :-)

Has to be Louise. Or, um, Miley.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 19:11:05 »

Absolutely buzzing off that win - haven't celebrated a goal like that in the Town End for a while (maybe Cov before Xmas was the last time) and I called the correct score in my prediction! Wes was class and deserved man of the match, and the defensive line up seems to me really solid at the moment - Troy & Stephens would be a very good pair for next season, but those questions/answers can wait until the end of the season. The goal reminded me a bit of the Watford v Leicester play off semi game last season - Alumunia penalty save and then Watford went straight up the other end and scored.

Happy days, enjoy your evenings!!!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 19:50:46 »

Hell of a win, albeit totally undeserved.

We had the better of the first half although they could argue they created three good chances to our one.  Great pass and finish by Storey.

Defence looked pretty solid until we tired, but Utd ran the show on the second half.  Once Smith missed a great chance to go 2 up and they equalised we looked doomed.  Without Wes, a great display by Troy and Stevens, and some poor finishing by Utd we could have conceded a couple more easily.  Blatant penalty for them , god knows how ref didn't give it.  We have too many players who aren't fit enough to play 90 mins, notably Kassim.

Then from nowhere Wes makes his 7th or 8th point blank save, we break and bingo. 

Great atmosphere at the end.  Really pleased for Louis. 
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 19:52:15 »

Excellent. A smash and grab...

Hmmm.  I think I know what you mean (late winner etc.), but 'smash & grab' usually implies that the win was not deserved - and today it was.  We were dominant in the first half (Sheffield basically failed to turn up).  Suddenly seemed to lose steam shortly before their goal.  The movement went and we looked out of sorts.  And then we came right back again for the last 10 or 15 mins.  On balance, we were definitely the better side on the day, and 2-1 was a fair result.

First time I saw Storey and Gladwin partnered together up front; and think we could have something there for the future.  Certainly hope so.  Troy was superb.  Nice to see a Swindon boy on the pitch as well towards the end (and I suppose the Thompsons are as good as too).

Brilliant day out.  Football is a lot more tiring and involves a lot less alcohol with my boys in tow these days...but the look on their faces when Louis' goal went in made it all worthwhile.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: