Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Phone Scams  (Read 11338 times)
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 12:14:05 »

So I just got off the phone with an Indian chap who insisted he was from 'Windows Computer Company' and that they had had warnings about my computer having serious problems and that would I help them fixing it. Patent bollocks, but I had a good laugh giving him the runaround as I usually do with cold callers.

Tried to get their number but it was blocked unsurprisingly. Does anyone know of a decent way to report such things? Quick google turned up not a lot as Ofcom apparently can't deal with international problems.

Before anyone suggests I'm already with TPS.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 13:29:35 »

I don't think there's much you can do to block them once they've got your number from somewhere.

Just make the most of it and have some fun with them.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 18:53:04 »

Yeah, you can't do anything to stop them unfortunately.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 19:02:20 »

I worked in a call centre cold calling when I was at university.

Horrible, horrible job that I hated but the hours were good, as was the money.

Funnily enough, the overwhelming majority of the poor souls I had to talk to were perfectly polite.
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 10:08:09 »

If it is an unsolicited call( cold call ) be as rude as you want, i have asked a very annoying woman who would not take the hint that i wasn't interested in a new show kitchen if she had big tits & if she was partial to a bit of anal,she then told me that the call was recorded & that her company was going to sue me. I pointed out that the recording was inadmissible in court as it was a unsolicited call & also that as the was recorded that i had to be made aware of it when she started the call.
This doesn't apply if you ring the company or if you ask them to call you back i.e your bank or a company that you call for a quote/ appointment.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 10:12:02 »

So, did you get a new kitchen?
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 10:25:55 »

If I got a cold call during the day when no-one else was home I'd sometimes ask them to hold the line whilst I got someone who they could speak to. I'd then just leave them there.

This evolved when I downloaded a horror scream sound effect and could play it very loudly through the speakers in my front room.
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 11:08:47 »

So, did you get a new kitchen?
I answered that when i said i wasn't interested.
Victor Mildew

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 12:36:26 »

Did you Jizz on her tits?
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 14:56:57 »

Friend of mine who I class as very intelligent got caught on the computer scam and went with it!

Another friend does the leaving the phone bit after telling the caller she has to go and sharpen her pencil to take notes.

Normally you have only to say that you are on the TPS and they hang up although my wife had a recent argument with an Indian caller who said that the TPS did not apply to him - got short shrift naturally.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 15:15:52 »

Next time I might say it's convenient they phoned as I am with the MET Fraud Prevention Squad, see how long it takes them to hang up.
DMR

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 15:20:47 »

If it is an unsolicited call( cold call ) be as rude as you want, i have asked a very annoying woman who would not take the hint that i wasn't interested in a new show kitchen if she had big tits & if she was partial to a bit of anal,she then told me that the call was recorded & that her company was going to sue me. I pointed out that the recording was inadmissible in court as it was a unsolicited call & also that as the was recorded that i had to be made aware of it when she started the call.
This doesn't apply if you ring the company or if you ask them to call you back i.e your bank or a company that you call for a quote/ appointment.

£100 says this is a lie.

I did at Uni, and to be honest it's served me quite well - I'm in sales, and a thick skin helps.

As for the hilarious prank about walking off and leaving the phone on - we got paid commission by the amount of minutes we retained anyway, so nice one - money for fuck all.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 15:35:46 »

As for the hilarious prank about walking off and leaving the phone on - we got paid commission by the amount of minutes we retained anyway, so nice one - money for fuck all.
It would still achieve the objective, which is to punish the company doing the cold calling, not the poor sap making the call. In fact all the more so, as it's costing them for the call and in paying out "money for fuck all". I normally tell them to get knotted and put the phone down but in the light of this I might try leaving the call connected too.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 15:45:24 »

I'd just say "Nobody lives here, you've called a phone box and I just happened to be passing by"
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 16:29:45 »

I'd just say "Nobody lives here, you've called a phone box and I just happened to be passing by"

What's a phone box?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: