Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stratton Bank Roof?  (Read 23678 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 01:20:16 »

No, I like old school. Think the TE needs a roof and stand as high as the sides. Roof on the bank can be the away end.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 07:41:26 »

So salty…

We’d love a new stadium or even anything remotely close to improvements on ours.

Don't think anyone has disputed that.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 09:51:05 »

Same distance (just over 4 miles) from the centre of town to their current ground.  Realistically, you're never going to get planning permission for a football stadium of that size any closer to the centre of Oxford.

There are a fair few planning reasons why a stadium at the site in Kidlington is going to be quite tricky.

As for the Stratton Bank one would imagine the key initial considerations would be a) what is it built on and can it carry the (substantial) weight of a roof (however temporary and rudimentary) and b) would it get planning permission.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 10:32:29 »

So salty…

We’d love a new stadium or even anything remotely close to improvements on ours.

Tell me that on ITV that the stadium didn't look about a million times better than every identikit soulless bowl in the country?

I'd like improvements but not at the expense of of being totally devoid of character.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 10:39:58 »

I'd always thought the bank would be knocked and rebuilt rather than a roof on it. Wasn't it looked in to before and considered not worth doing?

Something basic like the away end at Adams Park would be perfect for that end. That can only be about as high as the flag poles. Perhaps a long term sponsorship could help with some funds for the rebuild.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 10:45:44 »

I'd always thought the bank would be knocked and rebuilt rather than a roof on it. Wasn't it looked in to before and considered not worth doing?

Something basic like the away end at Adams Park would be perfect for that end. That can only be about as high as the flag poles. Perhaps a long term sponsorship could help with some funds for the rebuild.

The 'AXIS Stratton Bank' would work surely?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 10:45:59 »

Buying the houses directly behind the SB would alleviate the height issue but in all fairness that would only happen if we were in the PL. of course you could end up in a situation where some stubborn house owner wouldn’t sell until hell froze over, like the old ladies at Anfield a number of decades ago.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 10:49:01 »

Buying the houses directly behind the SB would alleviate the height issue but in all fairness that would only happen if we were in the PL. of course you could end up in a situation where some stubborn house owner wouldn’t sell until hell froze over, like the old ladies at Anfield a number of decades ago.
Pretty sure the houses behind the SB are no longer the issue they were back in the 90s when planning permission for the roof on the bank was an issue.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 10:55:51 »

Yeah, assuming planning would be granted for as high as the flag poles then that really should be high enough for what we're looking to do. Even if you lose a few hundred seats you can eventually build a much bigger Town End further on in the development.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 11:01:43 »

Tell me that on ITV that the stadium didn't look about a million times better than every identikit soulless bowl in the country?

I'd like improvements but not at the expense of of being totally devoid of character.
This is my view. A redevelopment that retains the character of the CG somehow.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 11:32:25 »

Pretty sure the houses behind the SB are no longer the issue they were back in the 90s when planning permission for the roof on the bank was an issue.

Wasn't consent granted for a stand at the same time as the DRS, but never built.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 11:34:31 »

Wasn't consent granted for a stand at the same time as the DRS, but never built.
I hadn't heard that but it does make sense.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 12:24:15 »

So salty…

Nope.  Not even close.  Redevelopment all the way.

The redevelopment is 20 yrs overdue now, fair enough.  But happy to wait a while longer if it's done properly.  A bowl on a retail park at the edge of town (or outside it) would be a massive step down from what we have now.  You'll never find a better site for a football ground than the County Ground.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 12:33:34 »

No, I like old school. Think the TE needs a roof and stand as high as the sides. Roof on the bank can be the away end.

This is my view. A redevelopment that retains the character of the CG somehow.

Nope.  Not even close.  Redevelopment all the way.

The redevelopment is 20 yrs overdue now, fair enough.  But happy to wait a while longer if it's done properly.  A bowl on a retail park at the edge of town (or outside it) would be a massive step down from what we have now.  You'll never find a better site for a football ground than the County Ground.

This, this and this. Hundred-year-old stadia are monuments to their communities. Many of those who've moved to Legoland have mourned the loss of those ancient repositories of their social history. Would like a roof on the Bank to make the ground a bit more closed in and complete, and a higher Town End, but none of this could happen while the club is a tenant. Things will at last start to move when the club gains ownership, hopefully within the next 12 months.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 12:35:43 »

My main wish with any redevelopment is that they try to fill in the corners, i much prefer stadiums with the corners connected, similar to Loftus Road.  I think the atmosphere is enhanced with a wraparound  stadium.

Agree about the "New Stadium" though, redevelopment of existing has to be the way forward.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: