Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Maggie dies  (Read 20088 times)
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 14:54:33 »

First female prime minister. Falklands war. Reducing the power of unions. Positively changed the world view of Britain.

Even Blair, Brown and Miliband have all acknowledged some of the positive impacts she made.

A lot of people are bitter towards her for personal reasons and refuse to look at the bigger picture.

How was this good?  Nearly 1000 people died so she could win an election.  Also, the armed forces were badly equipped, and she cosied up to Pinochet...hardly a positive.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Flashheart

« Reply #76 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 14:56:31 »

For all her faults, I fail to see how Maggie can be blamed for the Faklands war!
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 14:58:14 »

For all her faults, I fail to see how Maggie can be blamed for the Faklands war!

Refusal to even discuss the issue with the Argies.  She was happy to push it to the point of war.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Flashheart

« Reply #78 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 15:02:39 »

I think you're scraping the barrel a bit there.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 15:08:26 »

Nearly 1000 people died so she could win an election.

Main reasons that Argentina invaded the Falklands were political, don't see how the response was. Sure it helped and gave her an opportunity but that wasn't the reason or the driving force behind the decision.

Refusal to even discuss the issue with the Argies.  She was happy to push it to the point of war.

Discuss the issue? You mean like Chamberlain did with Hitler? How did that work out?
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 15:10:05 »

I think you're scraping the barrel a bit there.

Then we shall have to agree to disagree.  However, jonny72 said she should be praised for it, so even if we can't agree about the start, should she be praised for sending a poorly equipped force and for her relationship with Pinochet?

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 15:12:07 »

Main reasons that Argentina invaded the Falklands were political, don't see how the response was. Sure it helped and gave her an opportunity but that wasn't the reason or the driving force behind the decision.

Discuss the issue? You mean like Chamberlain did with Hitler? How did that work out?

Not at all.  To compare Galtieri to Hitler is overstating the mark somewhat.  There is also a colossal difference between beginning discussions about land you own, and giving away land you don't.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Flashheart

« Reply #82 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 15:12:16 »

Why the fuck should Maggie or any other UK politician discuss the Falklands with Argentina? They're our territory regardless of what they might think.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 15:13:29 »

Why the fuck should Maggie or any other UK politician discuss the Falklands with Argentina? They're our territory regardless of what they might think.

Because it might avoid war.  Granted it may not have worked, but we'll never know.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 15:14:47 »

However, jonny72 said she should be praised for it, so even if we can't agree about the start, should she be praised for sending a poorly equipped force and for her relationship with Pinochet?

No I didn't. I gave it as an answer to why she was liked by some.

Let's not forget that it was and continues to be a UK territory, which deserves the same respect and treatment as everywhere and everyone else in the UK. Or are you suggesting that the next time UK nationals are in a similar position we should just say fuck it, not our problem as its so far away.

Because it might avoid war.  Granted it may not have worked, but we'll never know.

They invaded the Falklands, the war had already been started by Argentina.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 15:17:57 »

No I didn't. I gave it as an answer to why she was liked by some.

Let's not forget that it was and continues to be a UK territory, which deserves the same respect and treatment as everywhere and everyone else in the UK. Or are you suggesting that the next time UK nationals are in a similar position we should just say fuck it, not our problem as its so far away.

First point, you're right, sorry for the misquote.

Second point, I said nothing of the sort.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 15:19:46 »

They invaded the Falklands, the war had already been started by Argentina.

Indeed, but my question about being so close to Pinochet remains.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 15:20:30 »

Whether you liked her or not, agreed or disagreed with her policies you have to respect her for what she did and how she did it.

You did say that though Jonny. I think to say some would disagree would be putting it mildly.
ChinaWhitenRed

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 15:20:36 »

Excellent news! As the wicked witch of Westminster said herself.....REJOICE.
The people of South Wales, North East England, Scotland, South Yorkshire and all those places where honest working people used to make things will be celebrating tonight. The bankers and financial thieves who have robbed us all, will be crying into their champagne. Good riddance bitch.

Change must come through the barrel of a gun
Flashheart

« Reply #89 on: Monday, April 8, 2013, 15:21:59 »

Because it might avoid war.  Granted it may not have worked, but we'll never know.

Well with the power of hindsight perhaps it may have been an idea to have a chat about things first but did anybody seriously expect the Argies to invade? Maybe Cameron should now talk with that Argie bird to prevent them invading again?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: