Pages: 1 ... 453 454 455 [456] 457 458 459 ... 474   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1650298 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #6825 on: Monday, January 8, 2024, 09:56:39 »

Agreed, even if that would have ended 0-0, it was a great tactical game to watch, fascinating.  So many of the games with the top sides tend to be either boring stalemates or a complete walkovers - this was a brilliant game by two good teams playing great football IMO

Glad it wasn't just me Smiley I watch very few non-Swindon games these days, but I thought I'd give it a go yesterday. As you say even though there were no goals, it was played in a good, quick tempo with both sides going for it. Saka had a bit of an off day and Arsenal were shocking in front of goal. It was also good to have a game not being interrupted by VAR. Fair play to Liverpool in the second minute of injury time to create their second rather than Alisson holding onto the ball for ages to waste time - with that said, in a league game I suspect that's what he might have done however.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #6826 on: Monday, January 8, 2024, 10:17:16 »

I thought Arsenal were huffing and puffing (with slow, deliberate build ups) but their forwards were dallying too long, taking too long and wasting chance after chance. Liverpool were just 'not playing' and sitting back soaking up pressure. It sort of reminded me of the NBA (which I hate) where the majority of the game is irrelevant and drifts by. Then the 'real' game starts in the last few mins as the better team usually steps it up a gear and triumphs. I find that all a bit dull.

When Liverpool finally decided to play, ie when they scored their first (in the middle of my post), it got more interesting. As both team then started playing.

If either team had been Swindon, I would have seen it differently, but I didn't care who won.

I did notice (and admire) that those players could do things that ours can't - find players with passes in tight situations, control the ball, move the ball quickly and most impressively, defend properly!

But I just don't like killing the game and compressing it to the last few mins. I hope that makes sense?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #6827 on: Monday, January 8, 2024, 10:18:27 »

Arsenal playing in White at home is just confusing😁
Especially with white numbers!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
TailBetweenLegs

Ignore
« Reply #6828 on: Monday, January 8, 2024, 10:28:22 »

I thought Arsenal were huffing and puffing (with slow, deliberate build ups) but their forwards were dallying too long, taking too long and wasting chance after chance. Liverpool were just 'not playing' and sitting back soaking up pressure. It sort of reminded me of the NBA (which I hate) where the majority of the game is irrelevant and drifts by. Then the 'real' game starts in the last few mins as the better team usually steps it up a gear and triumphs. I find that all a bit dull.

When Liverpool finally decided to play, ie when they scored their first (in the middle of my post), it got more interesting. As both team then started playing.

If either team had been Swindon, I would have seen it differently, but I didn't care who won.

I did notice (and admire) that those players could do things that ours can't - find players with passes in tight situations, control the ball, move the ball quickly and most impressively, defend properly!

But I just don't like killing the game and compressing it to the last few mins. I hope that makes sense?
It does make sense but Asenal had 20 shots at goal in the first half alone and both teams hit the bar. I thought it was a great 90 mins of football personally but we all see games differently.

How bloody good is Trent Alexander Arnold though
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #6829 on: Monday, January 8, 2024, 10:33:40 »

NMH - We all see games differently, that's the beauty of it, and this forum really. To be honest, I hadn't really thought about Liverpool soaking up pressure, but now you mention it I do see where you are coming from. I guess without their spine - Van Dijk, Szobozlai (I've almost certainly spelled that wrong) and Salah I guess Klopp had to set them up in such a way to play with the handbrake on a bit more. That seemed to change in the second half, especially as Arsenal were giving up chance after chance.

Your highlighted point is spot on, some of the close control and quick, incisive passing is just on a different level to what we see isn't it?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #6830 on: Monday, January 8, 2024, 10:35:02 »

It does make sense but Asenal had 20 shots at goal in the first half alone and both teams hit the bar. I thought it was a great 90 mins of football personally but we all see games differently.

How bloody good is Trent Alexander Arnold though

His passing range/ability reminds me of Hoddle a little bit. Different type of players of course, but his striking of the ball technique is just so 'pure'

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #6831 on: Monday, January 8, 2024, 10:55:11 »

Funny, I remember a 5-10 minute spell when Trent Alexander Arnold was defending like Hutton and getting roasted! Then, the defence started to double up on the Arsenal left winger and snuff out the threat. Our defence should take note! 

TailBetweenLegs

Ignore
« Reply #6832 on: Monday, January 8, 2024, 11:56:18 »

It's true he was but we all know he isn't a right back but they tactically play to his strenghs. Now i am not saying Hutton is on that level but it is exactly what we should be doing but unfortunately the ones covering are as shit defending as he is
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #6833 on: Monday, January 8, 2024, 12:04:51 »

It's true he was but we all know he isn't a right back but they tactically play to his strenghs. Now i am not saying Hutton is on that level but it is exactly what we should be doing but unfortunately the ones covering are as shit defending as he is
Yep! That was my point.

mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #6834 on: Monday, January 8, 2024, 18:57:14 »

8 and 8.15pm kick-offs. Is this just big TV flexing its muscles? I'm often falling asleep on the sofa during the second half of matches, never mind the travelling away fans.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #6835 on: Monday, January 8, 2024, 19:10:41 »

I agree and its so brexit. Us europeans have to wait until 9:15
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #6836 on: Monday, January 8, 2024, 20:33:50 »

I agree and its so brexit. Us europeans have to wait until 9:15

Which goes to show the £ is mightier than the € because money talks.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #6837 on: Monday, January 8, 2024, 21:22:47 »

shame its dropped by 25% since brexit eh?
Boy About Town
Pricko

Often outnumbered, never outgunned.

Ignore
« Reply #6838 on: Monday, January 8, 2024, 21:33:14 »

We do have a let’s get political thread.

Now, ain't that just like me?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #6839 on: Tuesday, January 9, 2024, 07:21:42 »

I’m referring to the British audiences value to the tv broadcaster and their advertising customers. Clearly still bitter at democracy.
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 455 [456] 457 458 459 ... 474   Go Up
Print
Jump to: