Pages: 1 ... 451 452 453 [454] 455 456 457 ... 474   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1651373 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #6795 on: Monday, January 1, 2024, 12:18:42 »

Doesn’t really tell you much TBH.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #6796 on: Monday, January 1, 2024, 12:37:58 »

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/25190083/wrexham-news-reynolds-mcelhenney-money-gamble/

I see they have just given Paul Mullin and Elliott Lee a bumper contract extension for another 3 years
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #6797 on: Monday, January 1, 2024, 21:54:27 »

The little prick through on goal for Liverpool v Newcastle tonight, taking it round the keeper and choosing to dive instead of playing on and trying to score a goal, which had a good chance of doing...of course he was rewarded by the penalty being given...

What sort of mentality is that? It makes me sick and is one of many reasons why I have pretty much fallen out of love with football over the last few years...
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #6798 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 10:01:27 »

Pre recorded fairwell messages from departing loanees.

Things get better but they never get good
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #6799 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 10:05:10 »

Agreed. Absolutely tinpot and only ever going to be a lightning rod for negativity on social media. Another comms disasterclass.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #6800 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 10:13:49 »

Not needed. They did their jobs (brilliantly) but the players are no longer ours and I'm sure they won't give Swindon much thought in 6 months.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #6801 on: Wednesday, January 3, 2024, 10:17:26 »

The little prick through on goal for Liverpool v Newcastle tonight, taking it round the keeper and choosing to dive instead of playing on and trying to score a goal, which had a good chance of doing...of course he was rewarded by the penalty being given...

What sort of mentality is that? It makes me sick and is one of many reasons why I have pretty much fallen out of love with football over the last few years...
Not defending it, it was pathetic to watch but maybe the "mentality" is we get a pen and the keeper gets a red".
🤷‍♂️

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #6802 on: Wednesday, January 3, 2024, 11:17:54 »

Not defending it, it was pathetic to watch but maybe the "mentality" is we get a pen and the keeper gets a red".
🤷‍♂️

VAR hasn't helped. Strikers have always been coached that if you feel contact go down.  Now with VAR where they know that any challenge is going to be looked at very closely and they only really have to prove that contact was made.  It was a pen, but it also was a dive, and made no sense as to why he didn't just put it in, apart from to trigger the double jeopardy rule.

The point is, we should fix the laws before we put it on the players that have been coached that way for years

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #6803 on: Wednesday, January 3, 2024, 11:57:09 »

🤷‍♂️

The mentality should be "I can score here, l'm going to keep going" but that doesn't even enter the player's head any more...

The point is, we should fix the laws before we put it on the players that have been coached that way for years
True...but it won't happen of course as it's systemically ingrained into the game and as you say, that's what players are coached to do. And it's endorsed by pundits  (ex players no less) saying things like "I'm not saying he should dive, but if he's felt contact he should go down"....Jesus wept, that is describing exactly what the process of diving is...they even criticise players if they don't do it...and you've now got a whole generation of fans who accept all that crap.

The game is so far removed from what I fell in love with so many years ago...I'm sure most of us have had someone who isn't interested in football say to us at some point, "I don't see the point in football, it's just 22 men kicking a ball around"...you smile and nod and think "you haven't got a clue, there is SO much more to it than that"....but I hate to say, I'm almost getting to that stage myself now...that applies to football in general and (which is really sad) STFC in particular...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6804 on: Wednesday, January 3, 2024, 12:33:48 »

Newport away brought forward to 12.45, like last year  Doh
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #6805 on: Wednesday, January 3, 2024, 12:48:05 »

The mentality should be "I can score here, l'm going to keep going" but that doesn't even enter the player's head any more...

True...but it won't happen of course as it's systemically ingrained into the game and as you say, that's what players are coached to do. And it's endorsed by pundits  (ex players no less) saying things like "I'm not saying he should dive, but if he's felt contact he should go down"....Jesus wept, that is describing exactly what the process of diving is...they even criticise players if they don't do it...and you've now got a whole generation of fans who accept all that crap.

The game is so far removed from what I fell in love with so many years ago...I'm sure most of us have had someone who isn't interested in football say to us at some point, "I don't see the point in football, it's just 22 men kicking a ball around"...you smile and nod and think "you haven't got a clue, there is SO much more to it than that"....but I hate to say, I'm almost getting to that stage myself now...that applies to football in general and (which is really sad) STFC in particular...

It's not just the pundits and coaches though, how many times have we as fans sat in the stand and said "why didn't he go down?" The game has moved on from what it was 30, 20 even 10 years ago, and we have all seen it coming - we were all saying over the past few years that eventually it's going to turn into a non-contact sport, but VAR (in it's current form in the Prem) has speeded that process up.  Until they fix that, then these things are going to continue to get worse, this season has proved that.  All post match interviews now are about Arteta moaning about a ball going out of play, Klopp moaning about an offside, Pep moaning about a foul.  VAR stinks currently, needs to go back to it's original form when it was trialed at the World Cup.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6806 on: Thursday, January 4, 2024, 14:59:10 »

Sums us up perfectly.

‘ Biggest underachievers

Oldham, who currently play in the National League, are England's biggest underachievers and languish 54 places below their 50-year average ranking after suffering relegation from the Football League for the first time in 115 years in 2021/22, followed by Southend and Scunthorpe (both -41).

Oldham last appeared in England's top division in 1994, when they also reached the FA Cup semi-finals
Other serious underachievers include Torquay (-35), Swindon (-32), Yeovil (-28), Charlton (-27), Hartlepool (-26) and Derby (-25).’
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6807 on: Thursday, January 4, 2024, 15:10:12 »

What about Bristol City🤔

So, give no fucks
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6808 on: Thursday, January 4, 2024, 15:19:10 »

If you mean because of the size of Bristol then yes they are underachieving but in relation to their position over the last 30 years or so then no they aren't underachieving.

Oldham have had it really bad, no promotion since they made it into the old Div 1, so 30+ years and haven't had a top half finish in any league for about 20 odd seasons (from memory) 
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #6809 on: Thursday, January 4, 2024, 15:25:59 »

Yeah Bristol as a whole has to be one of the most underachieving footballing cities in the world.

Bristol is three quarters of a million people, top club has a rich owner spunking millions, not played in the top flight in forever and never won fuck all.

Who else even competes?

Maybe New York City before a few years ago had never had a team win an MLS, but now they have and the Cosmos had one 5 titles in the previous American league.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 453 [454] 455 456 457 ... 474   Go Up
Print
Jump to: