Pages: 1 ... 433 434 435 [436] 437 438 439 ... 474   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1649992 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #6525 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2023, 18:08:56 »

On the flip side, Pep turns good players into absolute marvels.  I'm still not sold on Grealish for example, and it took him a good year to understand what was being asked of him, but I can't doubt his impact on the team these days.  Foden is similar - Pep just seems to be able to gradually invest a player everything they need to maaster their role.  Gundogan was another - a pretty damned good player, but one of the best in the world when he arrived? not likely.  Yet he looked unplayable towards the end of last season.

I actually think Phillips will be the best player he can be if he stays at Man City, soaks it up and puts in the effort.  If he doesn't, sulks a little or doesn't really invest his full attention and moves on, then he will just be what he is right now.  A good player, great engine, but not really a top world talent.

I see where you are coming from. Pep has always had the luxury of buying top players to sit and learn to be prepared to be ‘next man up’

Foden is 23 and KDB is 32 and keeps getting injured. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Foden take his spot next season. I wouldn’t be totally surprised to see City move KDB on particularly with the Saudi’s splashing cash on well known players. They could probably still fetch 100m for him!

Phillips is 27 and the person in front of him is Rodri who is also 27 & a much better player than Phillips. I cant foresee Man City moving Rodri on in the summer so how/where/when does Phillips get in?

Imo, he doesn’t - which for me is why he should get out. He’s had a season there, despite his minimal contributions he’s got three winners medals and his name will go down in history as part of the Man City treble winning team but unlike Foden I can’t see his path through to being a first team regular given his age and who is in front of him…
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6526 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2023, 18:22:10 »

I can't understand why City didn't break the bank to sign Bellingham and recouped some of the money by off loading Philips.

Imagine a team with Bellingham, Foden & Halland😳
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 13, 2023, 18:32:08 by Jimmy StoppedMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #6527 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2023, 20:53:17 »

…because they got Rodri in CM who probably has a good 5-6 years left in him.

Now when Bellingham gets in the last year of his Madrid contract - probably a different story…
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #6528 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 08:05:21 »

Bellingham is one of a small handfull of players who wouldn't actually benefit from a move to City imo.  Take his performance vs. Scotland this week as an example, he was everywhere and he should be, he's that good, he shouldn't be tied down to such a tactics led system like Pep plays.

Positional play (https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/positional-play-football-tactics-explained-guardiola-cruyff-manchester-city/) is the exact opposite of a system to get the best from him for me, just put him on a pitch and let him go wherever he wants. 

Maybe in another 4, 5, 6 years once Pep has moved on and City play a different way but are still competing at the top table then perhaps but for now he should be allowed to express himself however he sees fit in any given moment.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6529 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 08:45:54 »

Phillips is 27 and the person in front of him is Rodri who is also 27 & a much better player than Phillips. I cant foresee Man City moving Rodri on in the summer so how/where/when does Phillips get in?

Imo, he doesn’t - which for me is why he should get out. He’s had a season there, despite his minimal contributions he’s got three winners medals and his name will go down in history as part of the Man City treble winning team but unlike Foden I can’t see his path through to being a first team regular given his age and who is in front of him…

This was the very point I was making re Phillips, he may develop to a degree on the training pitch at City, but in association with that development he also needs to be playing (we know from experience here what happens with players who are developed well on the training pitch but don't play games). I actually assumed he was way younger than 27, which rather exacerbates the matter even further.

Ultimately decision lies with him doesn't it, get the cash and win the medals whilst playing very little or play more and see what happens. Not the worst place to be I s'pose.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #6530 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 09:15:02 »

This was the very point I was making re Phillips, he may develop to a degree on the training pitch at City, but in association with that development he also needs to be playing (we know from experience here what happens with players who are developed well on the training pitch but don't play games). I actually assumed he was way younger than 27, which rather exacerbates the matter even further.

Ultimately decision lies with him doesn't it, get the cash and win the medals whilst playing very little or play more and see what happens. Not the worst place to be I s'pose.

Exactly that - if it was me (and it clearly isn’t) I’d treat my time at City as a gap year. Barely working (playing) get a few medals. Name in history but after two years of that I think I’d get bored and want play more football somewhere else where I could be an influential player.

Plus, ultimately why would City want to keep a non playing 27/28 year old?
In the long run they’d be better off having a 19/20 year old from their youth team in that spot - who might one day actually take over from Rodri.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6531 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 09:30:18 »

I can't understand why City didn't break the bank to sign Bellingham and recouped some of the money by off loading Philips.

Interestingly (and this is going off my dodgy memory so possibly wrong) City don't tend to "break the bank" in terms of individual transfer fees. 

I think i saw a graphic showing that of the top 20 transfer fees paid in PL history City were responsible for 0 of them.

Admittedly they may have made that graphic before Chelsea starting spending £100 every other week on somebody since Todd Bohley took over
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #6532 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 09:35:34 »

Southgate would bench 2
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #6533 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 09:55:16 »

Southgate would bench 2

Serious question, would you start Haaland over Kane?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6534 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 09:57:18 »

Interestingly (and this is going off my dodgy memory so possibly wrong) City don't tend to "break the bank" in terms of individual transfer fees.  

I think i saw a graphic showing that of the top 20 transfer fees paid in PL history City were responsible for 0 of them.

Admittedly they may have made that graphic before Chelsea starting spending £100 every other week on somebody since Todd Bohley took over

Possibly some time ago, pretty sure that Grealish would be in the top 20 if no one else?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #6535 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 11:33:23 »

Serious question, would you start Haaland over Kane?

Every day of the week, twice.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6536 on: Thursday, September 14, 2023, 19:16:14 »

Southgate would bench 2

You're not wrong😆

So, give no fucks
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6537 on: Friday, September 15, 2023, 04:56:23 »

The Czech version of Taylor Curran/Harry Agombar

‘ 📝 𝗗𝗘𝗔𝗟 𝗗𝗢𝗡𝗘: A 22-year-old student, who's never played football before, has been signed by third tier Czech club FK Usti nad Labem.

He's set to play in a match for the team, thanks to his father's payment of 500,000 Koruna [£17,500] in exchange for 10 minutes of playing time. 🇨🇿 ’
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6538 on: Sunday, September 17, 2023, 10:53:18 »

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2023-09-17/keeper-receives-racist-abuse-online-following-premier-league-loss
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #6539 on: Sunday, September 17, 2023, 15:10:45 »

Could've been England.
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 435 [436] 437 438 439 ... 474   Go Up
Print
Jump to: