Pages: 1 ... 372 373 374 [375] 376 377 378 ... 472   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1641419 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5610 on: Wednesday, December 1, 2021, 07:15:47 »

That includes outlying Towns, and Swindon has a few less to add on - you are probably comparing with close to 250k in the same area for Swindon (before you get too far and start adding in Wiltshire Towns).

Anyway you cut it, their average is impressive as a % of the population, especially given the location of competing teams and their size vs. Swindon.

In our defence, Swindon is very much a suburb of London these days, with the vast majority of population growth having been commuter traffic.

Also, Swindon has to compete with the big clubs on our doorstep like Liverpool, Manchester United etc.

East Anglia always surprises me, smaller places like Ipswich and Norwich get decent home crowds.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #5611 on: Wednesday, December 1, 2021, 13:42:54 »

The North East has the advantage being in the far reaches of the country, and having comparatively few league football clubs.

Draw a line across the country through Harrogate and Morecambe and, North of that, there's 2 clubs in the West, Barrow and Carlisle; and in the East, 4, Newcastle, Sunderland, Hartlepool and Boro.

The latter two draw a fair amount of support from North Yorkshire as well as Teeside. Sunderland get support from across Wearside, and scrap with the Toon for supporters in that urban, suburban sprawl that runs down the A194 into County Durham. Newcastle have pretty much the whole of Northumberland as their catchment area as well the urban area of Newcastle, Gateshead and South Shields.

Those two bigger clubs have a history of past glory so there are a good few that travel across from Cumbria as well.

In the same sort of geographical area we have the two Bristol clubs, Forest Green and Cheltenham, Oxford, Reading and Wycombe, and Bournemouth, Southampton and Portsmouth to our South.

So the far north has a population of 4.3m or so and 6 clubs. We have a population from Bristol to Berkshire and down through Hampshire of about 5.5m and 11 league clubs  trying to attract support.

That's without allowing for the fact that half the population in Swindon are descendants of London expats that can follow their family club easily enough from here.

So not surprising they get better support.

..never go back.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5612 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 12:39:06 »

The Champions League draw having to be redrawn! Amateur hour!

Uefa's statement: "Following a technical problem with the software of an external service provider that instructs the officials as to which teams are eligible to play each other, a material error occurred in the draw for the UEFA Champions League Round of 16.

"As a result of this, the draw has been declared void and will be entirely redone at 1500 CET."

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #5613 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 12:47:11 »

It's all getting a bit Masi.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5614 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 12:48:01 »

Club lawyers sighing and cancelling their Christmas plans across Europe. Any club that gets a significantly harder draw now is going to be fuming.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5615 on: Monday, December 13, 2021, 13:18:47 »

I think this dog had the right idea about the UEFA conference league.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5616 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2021, 16:54:49 »

'ark at this joker moaning about having to play 2 games in 4 days!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59745954

With the caveat of course that I have no idea how many fit players they have sidelined with Covid, but they have a massive squad of players so i'm sure they could field a half decent line-up with subs.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #5617 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2021, 13:18:17 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59797491

Money well spent, City  Eek
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #5618 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2021, 13:20:47 »

Must be about the 10th year in a row Shitty have had a deficit of £10m+.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5619 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2021, 13:30:48 »

Yeah, but £38.4m in one season - albeit a Covid season!

I keep thinking if there is a similar kind of club to ourselves in the Championship that appears to be at least half sustainable without an owner propping them up.

Edit: probably Luton
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 28, 2021, 13:54:30 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #5620 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2021, 13:47:21 »

Be interesting to see how much the rugby club loses also.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5621 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2021, 13:54:53 »

The Union salary cap is £5m a season total, it's a tiny fraction of the football club. Admittedly they supposedly pay Piatau £1m outside the cap, but if you consider that would make him the best paid player in the league, it puts the two sides of Landsdown's sports empire in perspective. Football is crazy expensive.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #5622 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2021, 13:55:24 »

Be interesting to see how much the rugby club loses also.
Shitheads forum seem to think he cares way more about rugger than he does about them, I would say that constant £10m+ losses every year, year on year proves the opposite.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5623 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2021, 13:58:58 »

They are getting into FFP breach territory, too, and the points deduction that could bring. Noticeable the losses are £600,000 short of the acceptable limit on losses.

Without Derby and Reading already having points deducted they’d be looking at relegation this season.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #5624 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2021, 16:18:52 »

City did refund their season ticket holders on a game by game basis though!

Lansdown is getting more bang from his bucks spending the money on Bristol Rugby and raising the Bristol sporting profile than bumbling along in the Championship with City.
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 374 [375] 376 377 378 ... 472   Go Up
Print
Jump to: