Pages: 1 ... 334 335 336 [337] 338 339 340 ... 474   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1650378 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5040 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:22:21 »

I believe the ref asked the 4th official to identify the person on the staff bench that needed booking. he responded in saying the black person.
He said "The negro one".
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #5041 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:27:33 »

He didn't say 'the black person' he said "Ala Negru", translated from Romanian to 'the black'.
Very similar to what Cavani posted on his IG. Its all about things getting lost in translation. I'm not condoning the 4th official's behavior it more about educating people about cultural awareness.

Demba Ba said it best when he confronted the 4th official by saying "if it was a white guy, you would not say "that white guy"
Flashheart

« Reply #5042 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:33:44 »

Demba Ba said it best when he confronted the 4th official by saying "if it was a white guy, you would not say "that white guy"

But I would say 'that white guy' if I found it useful to describe somebody, which may be the case if there were a lot of black players and only a few white players, for example. It's all about context.

Granted, I don't really know the context of the situation or the language that was used (direct translations are often not helpful in that regard).
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5043 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:39:18 »

I'd say the white guy if he was the only white guy there.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #5044 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:43:09 »

Hmmmm, I think I’d probably define someone by their easily identifiable name or number in that scenario rather than their skin colour

Respectfully disagree on the baldness comparison. Bald people haven’t been historically (and currently) treated the same as people of colour. If the descendants of bald people had been sold as slaves, removed of all defining characteristics, referred to solely as numbers and treated like cattle, with the only requirement to be treated that way to have a lack of hair, I would think there may be a stronger reaction to being referred to being called bald

Same applies for referring to people as ‘the white guy’

Is it the most egregious case of racism you’ll ever see? No.
Was it deliberately confrontational? Probably not.
Is is symptomatic of an unconscious racial bias that exists and which lets more egregious, confrontational forms of racism to exist and therefore should be stamped out from common culture as a stepping stone to tackling the more harmful instances? Yes

Things get better but they never get good
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #5045 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:43:18 »

He said "The negro one".

Webo protested for a phase and the 4th is heard to inform the referee Ovidiu Hatsegan that there is behavior that should be punished on the bench of Basaksehir. The first referee asks the 4th who to punish.

And the 4th responds: “Ala negru”, which in Romanian means “the black”. And he added: “The black man there, go see who he is, he should not behave like that”.

you cant translate some words to english and not the rest. the way it was heard if you didn't speak Romanian it is very easy to focus on the one word which is what i think happened and escalated very quickly.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #5046 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:44:26 »

Hmmmm, I think I’d probably define someone by their easily identifiable name or number in that scenario rather than their skin colour

all of the staff had training uniform on with no names or numbers. this wasn't a player
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5047 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:47:30 »

How about the fat bloke?
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #5048 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:50:26 »

Some of you are missing another key point here. The officials are supposed to speak in English during European matches partly for this exact reason. At best the 4th official is arrogant, lazy and ignorant and doesn't feel he needs to follow the rules at worst well......
It's not much of a character reference for him either way and when you read about the controversy that has following him around it doesn't paint a glowing picture.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #5049 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:51:05 »

How about the fat bloke?

Have fat people a history of being dehumanised and treated as slaves?

Things get better but they never get good
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #5050 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:51:48 »

all of the staff had training uniform on with no names or numbers. this wasn't a player
the second guy from the left would work

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Barry Scott

« Reply #5051 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:52:08 »

Respectfully disagree on the baldness comparison. Bald people haven’t been historically (and currently) treated the same as people of colour. If the descendants of bald people had been sold as slaves, removed of all defining characteristics, referred to solely as numbers and treated like cattle, with the only requirement to be treated that way to have a lack of hair, I would think there may be a stronger reaction to being referred to being called bald

Same applies for referring to people as ‘the white guy’

Is it the most egregious case of racism you’ll ever see? No.
Was it deliberately confrontational? Probably not.
Is is symptomatic of an unconscious racial bias that exists and which lets more egregious, confrontational forms of racism to exist and therefore should be stamped out from common culture as a stepping stone to tackling the more harmful instances? Yes

That's a fucking superb post. Could almost be used in response to any of the "no one experiences more discrimination than the white working class man" crowd.
Panda Paws

« Reply #5052 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:53:56 »

Trying to justify this is ridiculous. Is the person racist? Who knows. Did Webo find the phrase to be racially aggravated. Yes.

Let's not tell people affected by racism what is and isn't racism.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5053 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:56:12 »

None of that would cross my mind when using "black" in differentiating in a crowd. But you are right in that other people may see it differently, and its impossible for me to see it from their perspective.

Obviously offence has been taken in this case. Though I can't really pass comment on the use of "negro" - I can certainly see how it could be used in the same context as the other N word.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5054 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 10:59:31 »

Is ‘black’ now a derogatory term? I’m beginning to think tip-toeing round racial matters is doing more harm than good. Trying to pretend people are colour blind is ridiculous.

We have, thankfully, jettisoned most of the historical derogatory terms but just using black as a descriptive word seems OK to me. But it’s not me that matters - it’s the recipient that must decide if being described as black is offensive.

And that includes those who seem to revel in being offended on behalf of other people.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 336 [337] 338 339 340 ... 474   Go Up
Print
Jump to: