Pages: 1 ... 327 328 329 [330] 331 332 333 ... 474   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1650343 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4935 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 14:28:44 »

Thank you for the compliments.
Racism will continue to fester whilst these organisations continue to complain about the past.  Yes, things have happened that should not have happened,  however racism now is much less than it was in the 70's.
While that might be arguable, it is also the case that racism is on the rise again and that open racists are feeling empowered to express their hatred again in the same terms heard in the 70s. If we don't want to go back there, these kinds of views must be challenged. Which is what "taking a knee" does, it is a way for players to say that that racist hatred has no part in the game or in life in general. It is a stand against racism. Booing a stand against racism puts those fans firmly in the camp of the racists.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4936 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 14:36:42 »

While that might be arguable, it is also the case that racism is on the rise again and that open racists are feeling empowered to express their hatred again in the same terms heard in the 70s. If we don't want to go back there, these kinds of views must be challenged. Which is what "taking a knee" does, it is a way for players to say that that racist hatred has no part in the game or in life in general. It is a stand against racism. Booing a stand against racism puts those fans firmly in the camp of the racists.

The football world wouldn't expect anything less from Millwall fans it's bred into them from an early age
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9023125/Gabby-Agbonlahor-reveals-racially-abused-12-year-old-Millwall-fan.html

So, give no fucks
TownEnder

Ignore
« Reply #4937 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 14:37:41 »

Very well put across and accept all you have said however, unacceptable as it is, does this not show that many people think it is now time to stop this kneeling before every game. Sooner or later it will have to stop and people are starting to think this has now run its course.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4938 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 14:43:58 »

Very well put across and accept all you have said however, unacceptable as it is, does this not show that many people think it is now time to stop this kneeling before every game.
No it shows there is still a massive problem with racism and racists in football. It shows the problem has not gone away and is getting worse if anything than it has been in recent times. Which makes it all the more important that we all take a stand against racists. And decide which side we are on.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #4939 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 14:50:36 »

The football world wouldn't expect anything less from Millwall fans it's bred into them from an early age
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9023125/Gabby-Agbonlahor-reveals-racially-abused-12-year-old-Millwall-fan.html

I am not sure that's necessarily correct.  A friend of mine from university supports Millwall and I have been to a few games with him. I met quite a few supporters who appeared perfectly rational/reasonable.

I would say the behaviour reflects the views of certain socio-economic groups.

Nothing to see here
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4940 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 14:54:26 »

I am not sure that's necessarily correct.  A friend of mine from university supports Millwall and I have been to a few games with him. I met quite a few supporters who appeared perfectly rational/reasonable.

I really hope you've just phrased that badly. If not, class prejudice can be as unpleasant, corrosive and damaging as racial prejudice.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #4941 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 14:55:07 »

But, frankly, it has become much more acceptable to express racist views across society in post Brexit Britain (as observed above).

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4942 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 14:55:22 »

I am not sure that's necessarily correct.  A friend of mine from university supports Millwall and I have been to a few games with him. I met quite a few supporters who appeared perfectly rational/reasonable.

Millwall fans don't help themselves and are never far way from controversy

So, give no fucks
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #4943 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 14:57:24 »

I really hope you've just phrased that badly. If not, class prejudice can be as unpleasant, corrosive and damaging as racial prejudice.

Just to assist you, I am very much working class.

Nothing to see here
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4944 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 15:00:33 »

Very well put across and accept all you have said however, unacceptable as it is, does this not show that many people think it is now time to stop this kneeling before every game. Sooner or later it will have to stop and people are starting to think this has now run its course.

How has it run it's course - has it helped fix the problem?  If anything, yesterday suggested an escalation might be required.  I get to see it much more visibly over here, people are slightly less afraid of voicing such opinions publicly, which is very sad.  Fortunately people don't just go "oh well, we tried to gain equality, but everyone seems disinterested".  Maybe the Millwall players could walk off the pitch.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4945 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 15:00:56 »

Just to assist you, I am very much working class.
Very pleased for you. Some of Nigel Farage's best friends are, I'm sure, black. My point stands. And I wholly agree with your next post - racism isn't just a problem in "certain socio-economic groups", although it's often a convenient divide and rule tactic for some at the top of the food chain.
But, frankly, it has become much more acceptable to express racist views across society in post Brexit Britain (as observed above).
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #4946 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 15:03:33 »

Millwall fans don't help themselves and are never far way from controversy

They do go on about "no one likes us, no one like us, we don't care etc" and seem to enjoy that.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4947 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 15:05:10 »

They do go on about "no one likes us, no one like us, we don't care etc" and seem to enjoy that.

Ask anyone whose been there over the years including the old den and they will tell you it's not a nice experience

So, give no fucks
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #4948 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 15:07:30 »

Very pleased for you. Some of Nigel Farage's best friends are, I'm sure, black. My point stands. And I wholly agree with your next post - racism isn't just a problem in "certain socio-economic groups", although it's often a convenient divide and rule tactic for some at the top of the food chain.

I've been to a few Millwall games and sat with home fans.  That informs some of my views.  

As you also observe, I know very well that racism exists everywhere.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4949 on: Sunday, December 6, 2020, 15:10:08 »

I've been to a few Millwall games and sat with home fans.  That informs some of my views.  

As you also observe, I know very well that racism exists everywhere.

From an away fans experience it's a completely different experience

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 329 [330] 331 332 333 ... 474   Go Up
Print
Jump to: