Pages: 1 ... 321 322 323 [324] 325 326 327 ... 474   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1650272 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #4845 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 12:20:12 »

Seems very reasonable in return for the bailout, and an end to parachute payments is great.
Lemis

Ignore
« Reply #4846 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 12:32:04 »

Main issue is pretty much giving the top 6 power over the whole of English football. The finances in the short term would save clubs but do you really trust the pl to not use their new found powers to force through B teams, withdraw the finances that are being offered now etc.

Have you seen the writing on the wall?
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4847 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 13:05:53 »

Main issue is pretty much giving the top 6 power over the whole of English football. The finances in the short term would save clubs but do you really trust the pl to not use their new found powers to force through B teams, withdraw the finances that are being offered now etc.
I don't think EFL clubs will have much say in this process.  Beggars can't be choosers.  The short term is pretty existential for the individual clubs sadly.

You are right that the issue for us is the medium term.  Forcing through B teams, scooping all young talent and loaning it out to the minnows etc.

For the Big 6, it's a forerunner to them joining an expanded Champions League to the diminishment of the PL itself.  It may yet take one hell of a battle to get this past the likes of Leeds, Villa, Newcastle etc never mind others outside the Big 6 + Everton, Southampton and a third PL ever present (WHU?)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4848 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 13:17:08 »

Here’s one view.

‘Worse even than expected. To be clear, this is the effective privatisation of the Premier League, with the top flight of English football passing into the hands of the Big 6. This is an abomination.

Disaster capitalism on steroids doesn't even begin to cover it. In return for passing some of their ill-gotten gains back to the rest of football, they convert their de facto running of the game into permanent control of it.

With these changes, anything they wanted would follow. Set up a Euro League but want to keep teams in the PL? Approved. B Teams in the league? Approved.

I previously described allowing B Teams in the EFL Trophy as like a rabbit offering to bite off its own leg if the fox would only agree not to kill it.

These proposals are akin to a loan shark agreeing to pay your mortgage in return for a lifetime of domestic servitude.

Rick Parry is not acting in the best interests of the pyramid and should be fired.

I can't think of any sports where a small group of clubs have this much power. Think of the leagues where a small number of clubs exercise disproportionate levels of influence - Barca/Real, Celtic/Rangers, Juve. Are these healthy leagues? What if that control was formalised?

It is not hyperbolic to say that this would be the end of English football as we know it.

PS: without even abusing these powers, the extra value of being a club that has special status means that nine club owners would immediately see an increase in the value of their asset that dwarfed the size of the bailout. They will own the Premier League and make a profit on it.’
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #4849 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 13:31:48 »

What’s the reason for cutting it from 20 to 18 teams?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4850 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 13:41:39 »

Less games, bigger share of the filthy lucre.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #4851 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 13:43:31 »

To get it in line with most of the other top European leagues

Not that I’m too fussed about international football but our top players play too many games, they are often knackered by the time a major tournament comes around in the summer
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #4852 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 13:52:42 »

I mean the league cup thing, I know it’s traditional etc, even more so because Town have won it, but it is pretty shit now isn’t it?
As much as this is all for the Premier Leagues benefit, they’ve definitely had worse ideas.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4853 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 13:57:13 »

Would many be bothered if the PL became a closed shop? As long as there is still a sufficient incentive for winning the Championship other than promotion to the PL.

My preferred option would be for the so called ‘big 6’ to fuck off entirely to a European Super League and leave the rest of us to get back to some sort of pre-PL pyramid.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #4854 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 14:04:40 »

It won’t become a closed shop, don’t know why people keep banging on about this, this has never happened anywhere else.

As per Quaggy, these rumoured proposals make sense compared to some of the guff that’s been proposed over the years
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #4855 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 14:54:40 »

Absolutely repugnant proposals that must be stopped.

Its the top 6' fault the League cup has been devalued to the point that people are almost resigned to scrap it. Who gives a flying fuck what other European countries do?

Reducing the number of teams in the league. The top clubs will play the same number of games as they do now, either from european matches, or luxury international friendlies. They just want to play more of the games that make them more money.

Allowing the big six is also effectively allowing them to make all decisions for the premier league. Why the fuck are Everton/Southampton and West Ham allowed into the club of 9. What about premier league winners Leicester? Or Newcastle who have more season there than Man City. Its the beginning of the end. Its these 6 clubs deciding the future of english football while they all chase more money to spend on more crap players.

They are attempting to take control of the entire EFL at the point the EFL is most in need. The fact Parry supports it is a complete disgrace and he should be removed from his position immediately.

leftside

Ignore
« Reply #4856 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 15:04:17 »

Would many be bothered if the PL became a closed shop? As long as there is still a sufficient incentive for winning the Championship other than promotion to the PL.

My preferred option would be for the so called ‘big 6’ to fuck off entirely to a European Super League and leave the rest of us to get back to some sort of pre-PL pyramid.

Me too.

In a few years time they’ll reduce it to 16, then 14 etc and focus on an expanded Euro league. The greedy bastards at the top can fuck off as far as I’m concerned. Time for the FA and EFL to grow a pair, end promotion to the PL, accept no relegated clubs from the PL, do TV deals with terrestrial stations, create a national league with four divisions, have 4 up 4 down automatically (no play offs), keep FA and League Cups, England players selected from EFL clubs only. And as a bonus, expel Franchise.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #4857 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 15:09:26 »

Me too.

In a few years time they’ll reduce it to 16, then 14 etc and focus on an expanded Euro league. The greedy bastards at the top can fuck off as far as I’m concerned. Time for the FA and EFL to grow a pair, end promotion to the PL, accept no relegated clubs from the PL, do TV deals with terrestrial stations, create a national league with four divisions, have 4 up 4 down automatically (no play offs), keep FA and League Cups, England players selected from EFL clubs only. And as a bonus, expel Franchise.

Definitely some things I agree with there but that is the icing on the cake  Clap
Mr Stevens

Ignore
« Reply #4858 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 16:20:16 »

Fuck off the Big 6/9 and let them play endless round-robin matches and meaningless Europa League matches. Leave the rest of us in the Football League (without Parry) and we might get more interesting football.

It won't happen but it's nice to contemplate it.

Take your chips and fuck off home.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4859 on: Sunday, October 11, 2020, 16:59:47 »

What’s the reason for cutting it from 20 to 18 teams?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8828109/Manchester-United-Liverpool-driving-forces-Project-Big-Picture-huge-shake-up.html

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 323 [324] 325 326 327 ... 474   Go Up
Print
Jump to: