Pages: 1 ... 297 298 299 [300] 301 302 303 ... 474   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1650392 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4485 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 13:42:29 »

I know a lot of you will think this belongs in the "What's right" thread, but irrational hatred of Bournemouth aside, this is just one example, suspect there are many more. This kind of spending is just unsustainable

"Premier League survival is vital. During the 2017-18 season, it was revealed that 89 per cent of the club’s revenue came from the top-flight television deal. And of the £119 million they received in TV money that season, £102 million was spent on wages. Bournemouth have placed salary-reducing relegation clauses in players’ contracts, thought to be around 25 per cent, but the financial impact of dropping back down to the Championship would still be seismic.

“If we got relegated, I dread to think what would happen to this football club,” said one source. “OK, you’d have the parachute payments, but there’s no money coming in, there’s a big wage bill and after five years in the Premier League, what do we really have to show for it?”"

Taken from https://theathletic.com/1517096/2020/01/16/crisis-bournemouth-howe-ibe-solanke/ (quoted the bits above in case you can't get to it as it's behind a paywall, albeit with some initial free access so you might)

This was discussed on the Guardian podcast today. They have a small stadium as well so they are literally relying on the Premiership cash. I can see them becoming a Bolton in a few years.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4486 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 13:52:02 »

This was discussed on the Guardian podcast today. They have a small stadium as well so they are literally relying on the Premiership cash. I can see them becoming a Bolton in a few years.

I didn't realise that Dean Court is a fair bit smaller than our hovel, I imagine if they do drop it won't last long, isn't much of the Russian money in the way of loans at high interest, not sure what the owner hopes to gain from his ownership, he is hardly high profile?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4487 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 13:58:13 »

I didn't realise that Dean Court is a fair bit smaller than our hovel, I imagine if they do drop it won't last long, isn't much of the Russian money in the way of loans at high interest, not sure what the owner hopes to gain from his ownership, he is hardly high profile?

money laundering probably. *allegedly*

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #4488 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 13:59:14 »

Not one to wish this on any club.  (Except Bournemouth).

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4489 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:03:49 »

Can’t happen soon enough.

Get them begging bowls dusted off - I’ll gob in them.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #4490 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:10:01 »

I know there is a lot of hatred, from myself amongst many, of Bournemouth.  You may call it irrational.  But this is precisely why I have the hatred.  They went under, fucked by shit owners.  They went into admin.  I know we're not innocent of this sort of shit but every time people go into admin, local people suffer, local businesses, small businesses.  And then you watch as another unsustainable model is persued and sky etc proclaim fairly tale.

There will be no sympathy from me and they can stick their begging buckets up their arse.  

Never knowingly overstated.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4491 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:14:00 »

I know there is a lot of hatred, from myself amongst many, of Bournemouth.  You may call it irrational.  But this is precisely why I have the hatred.  They went under, fucked by shit owners.  They went into admin.  I know we're not innocent of this sort of shit but every time people go into admin, local people suffer, local businesses, small businesses.  And then you watch as another unsustainable model is persued and sky etc proclaim fairly tale.
You could have written every single word of that about us under Diamandis and then the spending splurge under Black/Di Canio. I assume you hate Swindon Town with every bit as much passion as you hate Bournemouth?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #4492 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:25:22 »

Note the bit where I said 'I know we're not innocent of this sort of shit'.  And Im not sure where you are reading my 'passion'.  I generally think my hatred is quite dispassionate.

No I dont hate Swindon as much as I hate Bournemouth.  There is a difference.  For one I am a Swindon fan so I can be hypocritical.  Football fans, in fact people in general are.  Bang to rights there.

I was uncomfortable about the situation under DiCanio / Black for many reasons.  But then it stopped.  I honestly don't know what my feelings would have been if we had continued and got up the league in the same way AFCB have done so.  I don't know how far my hypocrisy goes.  But watching the last few years of 'aren't bournemouth an amazing fairytale' in the media really doesn't encourage me to feel anything positive towards them.

Never knowingly overstated.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #4493 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:33:14 »

I don't hate clubs because of their owners. Fans of any club are helpless victims in the money games. There's a lot of hypocrisy around this stuff - how many of us would have complained at that sort of money being poured into our club? But I bet that many Muff fans have been nervous about the day the plug is pulled - a club that size is never going to be autonomously stable in the Prem.

Doesn't this sort of sniping just reek of envy and subsequently schadenfreude? Though I guess those themes have been given full rein in the UK these days.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4494 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:34:04 »

Note the bit where I said 'I know we're not innocent of this sort of shit'.  And Im not sure where you are reading my 'passion'.  I generally think my hatred is quite dispassionate.
I did note that, but nonetheless thought it odd, especially given your stated rationale was a good one i.e. the effect on local businesses etc. We royally fucked over local businesses and taxpayers, not once but twice. And I don't see how hatred can ever be anything but passionate tbh. Otherwise, it's just a strong dislike, but I suspect that's just semantics Smiley

I was uncomfortable about the situation under DiCanio / Black for many reasons.  But then it stopped.  I honestly don't know what my feelings would have been if we had continued and got up the league in the same way AFCB have done so.  I don't know how far my hypocrisy goes.  But watching the last few years of 'aren't bournemouth an amazing fairytale' in the media really doesn't encourage me to feel anything positive towards them.
Fair enough. Agree about the "fairytale" stuff, but that just makes me dislike the lazy pundits rather than Bournemouth
Flashheart

« Reply #4495 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:34:23 »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

The reason I detest Bournemouth is the hypocrisy. When we overspend, we're cheating. When they do it (to a far greater extent), it's a fairytale. There's some other clubs and individuals that I dislike for the same reason.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #4496 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:36:11 »

The reason I detest Bournemouth is the hypocrisy. When we overspend, we're cheating. When they do it (to a far greater extent), it's a fairytale. There's some other clubs and individuals that I dislike for the same reason.
Exactly, Bristol City for instance.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4497 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:37:31 »

That's bizarre - the "cheating" comments are from fans of rival clubs, the "fairytale" shit (which I agree is bollocks) is from lazy pundits. It's not even the same people being "hypocritical",  much less Bournemouth who are the object of your hatred. And if it's hypocrisy you're after, we're every bit of guilty of the boom/bust economics as Bournemouth.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #4498 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:38:46 »

It's as if the problem isn't really Bournemouth, but hypocrisy. There's enough to go round for everyone.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Flashheart

« Reply #4499 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:39:54 »

And Chris Wilder.

He moaned about us 'cheating' during the PDC season in this league. It later transpired that Oxford were overspending by more than we were.

And Brentford, in the same season. Again, overspending by more and with considerably larger debts. Yet, again --- we were the cheats. But not them, for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 299 [300] 301 302 303 ... 474   Go Up
Print
Jump to: