Pages: 1 ... 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186 ... 474   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1650005 times)
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #2730 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 12:18:01 »

This surely isn't sustainable - the fees they are paying have clubs biting their hands off (£52m for Oscar?) and the wages make Rooney look like a fucking pauper.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #2731 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 12:55:39 »

I can't see it lasting, players will go out there for a quick buck then bugger off because of the poor level of football.
I can see why it may appeal to aging players, much like the MLS. A lower lever, slower pace but still once last hefty pay check, but surely it not good for players like Oscar who are still developing
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2732 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 13:07:41 »

Its good for his bank balance, presumably that outweighs footballing ambition.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #2733 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 13:19:41 »

Its good for his bank balance, presumably that outweighs footballing ambition.
and 100k a week isn't?
The only other notable player at the club he has signed for is Hulk. The rest, no offence to them are probably league 1 and 2 standard.
Yes, the lure of 500k a week is hard to turn down but i'd much rather be playing with and against top class players week in week out.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #2734 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 21:31:30 »

and 100k a week isn't?
The only other notable player at the club he has signed for is Hulk. The rest, no offence to them are probably league 1 and 2 standard.
Yes, the lure of 500k a week is hard to turn down but i'd much rather be playing with and against top class players week in week out.

The financial lure could mean that in a few years, China could be the new Premier League. It didn't take the PL long to attract some of Europe's finest.
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #2735 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2017, 15:30:46 »

https://twitter.com/i/moments/816230442005168128

getting booked after breaking your leg for hitting the ground in pain with your hand -awkward

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #2736 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2017, 15:33:15 »

https://twitter.com/i/moments/816230442005168128

getting booked after breaking your leg for hitting the ground in pain with your hand -awkward

He got booked because he swore and spat at Pompeys medical staff, then abused the player who tackled him. Granted I'd probably be a bit miffed if I'd broken my leg but the reporting is pretty wrong there.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2737 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2017, 15:37:20 »

He got booked because he swore and spat at Pompeys medical staff, then abused the player who tackled him. Granted I'd probably be a bit miffed if I'd broken my leg but the reporting is pretty wrong there.

He spat at someone and only got booked?
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #2738 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2017, 15:39:03 »

The financial lure could mean that in a few years, China could be the new Premier League. It didn't take the PL long to attract some of Europe's finest.
But China has quite a strict foreign player policy, where teams can only have 3 or 4 foreign players. You'll have teams consisting of 4 Oscars and 7 Shola Ameobi's
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #2739 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2017, 16:14:46 »

They are mostly attracting South American and African players, who mostly think about money, whilst I think most European players would rather play at a higher standard and win CL....then go and play retirement football in China/Middle East.

Look at Tevez. He wanted to play for his old team Boca Juniors until he retired....but when the stupid money came in from China, he left.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #2740 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2017, 16:18:53 »

They are mostly attracting South American and African players, who mostly think about money, whilst I think most European players would rather play at a higher standard and win CL....then go and play retirement football in China/Middle East.

Look at Tevez. He wanted to play for his old team Boca Juniors until he retired....but when the stupid money came in from China, he left.

A quote from tevez has been doing the rounds recently.

"Football is only about money, and I don't like it. There are so many agents with really young footballers... it's awful, as these young players are not interested in winning titles, they only want money."
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #2741 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2017, 18:01:17 »

I did say 'in a few years'. The balance of power in football could in time shift from Europe to China/Asia. Some big name coaches have already been attracted (Eriksson, Stojkovic, Zaccheroni). I'm not envisaging the demise of European football, just that I think it is entirely possible for China/Asia to attract more European stars, including those not yet on their last legs.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #2742 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 14:25:40 »

I did say 'in a few years'. The balance of power in football could in time shift from Europe to China/Asia. Some big name coaches have already been attracted (Eriksson, Stojkovic, Zaccheroni). I'm not envisaging the demise of European football, just that I think it is entirely possible for China/Asia to attract more European stars, including those not yet on their last legs.

You strike a good point there. A good example is the AFC Cup. I know we had vested interests with Luongo but I watched a fair amount of that tournament (I'm aware International level is a different fish to Club level) and as tournaments go, the standard was pretty good from over half the teams. A good few of the matches were pretty entertaining. If thats what Asian and Australasian football is going to be offering it might have a decent market to tap into. That is only a better thing for that region of the world. Its good for us because it gives us "more" football to have a look at.

I think Tim Cahil was at/still is at Shenhua Shanghai a Chinese Prem team. The point i'm erring to is, if players see others go and also view it as pioneering in their field then why not give it a go. I think it's win/win if you're young or old. If you're a younger player with high regard, there will be teams "back here" willing to snap you up (and probably on a free due to the size of contract) and bring you home. If you're older 30+ (older soapy tit wank) then why not take a final pension burting pay day and earn upwards of 10mil a season (even better if you get one of those "niggling" injuries that you "just can't shake off boss"). Although the latter is definitely more damaging to football on the whole.

I guess its personal development too. Some of us, if we had the chance (some on here have taken the chance) to go and work for a big or reputable company in a new country, that was starting a pilot project would jump at the chance. Naturally a rise in salary is the sweetener as well as all the other remuneration that comes with good companies wanting to attract new people. I'd do it. Someone else may not and they'd prefer to stay somewhere more familiar, and that is perfectly fine for them too.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #2743 on: Thursday, January 5, 2017, 11:51:49 »

According to the papers West Ham are wiling to pay £15m for Defoe! The worlds gone mad.
Ok, He's still banging them in for fun in a poor squad, but £15m???
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #2744 on: Thursday, January 5, 2017, 12:06:29 »

With how many of those goals have been penalties?!

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186 ... 474   Go Up
Print
Jump to: