Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1629049 times)
Super Lou Macari

« Reply #1755 on: Thursday, October 1, 2015, 18:42:21 »

It will never happen...for the simple reason that such an arrangement would be advantageous to Celtic, to Rangers and to no one else.
Never say never, we all know the Premier League are all about money nothing more, with Celtic bringing in 60k punters week in week out they have a massive presence in Scottish/world football and have a similar potential for money earling worldwide as Man Utd or at worst Arsenal.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1756 on: Thursday, October 1, 2015, 19:18:31 »

Even so I think there would be too big a resistance.

If a euro super league ever formed, then maybe..
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #1757 on: Thursday, October 1, 2015, 19:27:14 »

Never say never, we all know the Premier League are all about money nothing more, with Celtic bringing in 60k punters week in week out they have a massive presence in Scottish/world football and have a similar potential for money earling worldwide as Man Utd or at worst Arsenal.

Scottish football...yes, world football...no.

European football has grown without them. They're lucky to even qualify for the Champions League now, and Scottish top flight football is the equivalent of L1.

English clubs don't need them. All it does is up policing costs and travel up to Scotland.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1758 on: Friday, October 2, 2015, 12:41:08 »

It would also be ammunition for those arguing against separate national teams for GB nations.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1759 on: Friday, October 2, 2015, 12:43:31 »

Scottish top flight football is the equivalent of L1.
Come on that's just bollocks. The bottom end of the SPL may be, but the top end is at least decent Championship standard. How many League 1 sides do you see managing 2-2 draws against Ajax and Fenerbache?
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #1760 on: Friday, October 2, 2015, 13:27:54 »

Come on that's just bollocks. The bottom end of the SPL may be, but the top end is at least decent Championship standard. How many League 1 sides do you see managing 2-2 draws against Ajax and Fenerbache?
Celtic are decent championship standard, the rest are L1 standard. Adam rooney scoring freely for aberdeen when pretty average for us would back this us imo. Especially as Storey appears to be scoring a few as well
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #1761 on: Friday, October 2, 2015, 13:33:57 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34416023

I know it is an over-simplification, but I wonder what League One attendances would be this weekend if everyone turned up with just £11.72 in their pockets?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1762 on: Friday, October 2, 2015, 13:38:51 »

In 2014, the BBC's Price of Football study found ticket prices had risen at almost twice the rate of the cost of living since 2011.

Is there any wonder why attendances are poor at the moment?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #1763 on: Friday, October 2, 2015, 13:46:36 »

It's a bit of a specious argument though, when no League 1 sides get to compete against Ajax or Fenerbache.

You could as easily argue how many SPL sides do you see winning 4-2 away at Stamford Bridge, or defeating Man United 4-0 at home, as League 1 sides managed last year?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1764 on: Friday, October 2, 2015, 13:57:15 »

Will 1 - 1 do?

DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1765 on: Friday, October 2, 2015, 13:58:41 »

Good old Swindown..

Roaming the land while you sleep..
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #1766 on: Friday, October 2, 2015, 14:00:42 »

In 2014, the BBC's Price of Football study found ticket prices had risen at almost twice the rate of the cost of living since 2011.

Is there any wonder why attendances are poor at the moment?

Are attendances actually falling by say 10 or 20%?  A blip year every now and again, or the odd recession, but I think just as many are attending now and average disposable income is higher than at any point in the past (even after the 08/09 crash).   The difference is the customer.  The traditional supporter has been priced out for some time.  Instead a large % of attendees are sky fanatics, corporates or football tourists......but not supporters.   Most will have the money to lash on expensive premier tixs, albeit not every week.

Maybe it's because the rugger WC is on, but all I've heard this week is people with little interest in the actual sport proudly telling me they've bagged a corporate tickets. They will come in on Monday and repeat the story, but very few give a fcuk/show any passion about the game.  Football is not dissimilar.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1767 on: Friday, October 2, 2015, 14:29:34 »

It's a bit of a specious argument though, when no League 1 sides get to compete against Ajax or Fenerbache.

You could as easily argue how many SPL sides do you see winning 4-2 away at Stamford Bridge, or defeating Man United 4-0 at home, as League 1 sides managed last year?
You could if Ajax and Fenerbache were in the habit of playing weakened sides in the Europa League. So I'll counter your specious with a counter-specious. As is a 1-1 draw in a pre-season friendly, hardly the same as Europa League is it? Take the point though, and PlymRed's that much of the rest of the SPL is some way behind Celtic. But the idea that Celtic and Rangers are miles off the Premier League is horseshit. Once they had access to the PL TV money, they'd be right up there.

My larger point being that English football fans who console themselves that the 2 big Scottish clubs into the PL could never happen because they wouldn't compete are kidding themselves. Integrity of the competition? Ha ha. Not in the interests of English football? Do me a favour. Fans would be against it? Since when do they count. Would be at the cost of smaller clubs trying to get into the PL? See above.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #1768 on: Friday, October 2, 2015, 16:40:40 »

I could quite easily see Celtic/Rangers in our league unfortunately, all about money/revenue etc so I'm sure that will happen eventually. They would compete in the bpl, but couldn't see them near the top.

The rest are league 1 with the occasional forray into champ/l2
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1769 on: Friday, October 2, 2015, 16:48:15 »

I could quite easily see Celtic/Rangers in our league unfortunately, all about money/revenue etc so I'm sure that will happen eventually. They would compete in the bpl, but couldn't see them near the top.

The rest are league 1 with the occasional forray into champ/l2

There really is no chance of this happening.....Rangers had their chance in the 19th Century, when they played unsuccessfully in the FA Cup, over several seasons.

It was easier in Scotland, so they settled for that.  Queen's Park were more successful, twice reaching the Cup Final, but were upset by creeping professionalism, so opted to play in the more amateur Scottish football, where they remain true to their principles today....a club for who I have admiration.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: