Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 469   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1628890 times)
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 19:00:40 »

It will be good to see whether Guardiola is as good as everyone says he is, most people would win things with that Barca team.

Glad he hasn't gone to either Manchester club or Chelsea
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 19:49:02 »

Saw this in the news today. "Hit man in footie shooting": " A footballer was shot in front of 150 spectators as he warmed up for a match, Alan Jopson 27, was hit three times in the legs after the masked gunman jogged on to the pitch. Mr Jopson, who was treated in hospital was playing for amateur side Alder in Woolton Liverpool. Mersey side police confirms that the shooting was a targeted attack but added the motive was not yet known "
When I saw the headline I expected it to of happened in somewhere like Brazil not Liverpool.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 22:04:41 »

Another good piece in the Guardian at the moment by Will Hutton.  I don't agree with everything he writes by any means, but think he makes some really good points here, particularly in relation to the comparison with German football.

Guardian: The beautiful game embodies everything that's bad about Britain

No surprise that Guardiola has gone to Bayern.  For so many reasons, I'd be a lot more confident about the future of German football than our own game.

Thanks for the link. Depressing but true.

I heard the tail end of an interview with the FA's David Bernstein today. The price of tickets and player wages were, according to him, down to market forces, and therefore nothing to do with him. The sooner the FA Premier League devours itself the better.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 22:32:00 »

Using the Arsenal v Man City ticket price for away fans to argue about football being too expensive is complete and utter bollocks. Away fans get charged the same as home fans for the same quality seat (that Guardian article was written to give the impression this is not the case).

Plus the price wasn't that extortionate; £62 for Arsenal vs Man City at the Emirates or £25 for Swindon vs Shrewsbury at the Country Ground - it ain't the Arsenal / Man City fans that are getting screwed over.

Double plus, you can pay a lot more than £62 for a concert, play, meal, train ticket and loads of other things.
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 22:40:36 »

Using the Arsenal v Man City ticket price for away fans to argue about football being too expensive is complete and utter bollocks. Away fans get charged the same as home fans for the same quality seat (that Guardian article was written to give the impression this is not the case).

Plus the price wasn't that extortionate; £62 for Arsenal vs Man City at the Emirates or £25 for Swindon vs Shrewsbury at the Country Ground - it ain't the Arsenal / Man City fans that are getting screwed over.

Double plus, you can pay a lot more than £62 for a concert, play, meal, train ticket and loads of other things.

Football has traditionally been for the working man.  For fans of Arsenal, Man City and the like, it's now a middle class pursuit. 

To put it another way, you may pay £62 for a meal but I doubt many in the working classes would, especially not every Saturday.

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 22:47:59 »

Usually the waiting staff will thank you before you leave the premises.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Friday, January 18, 2013, 14:20:55 »

Usually the waiting staff will thank you before you leave the premises.

You're not expected to tip the stewards though.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #127 on: Friday, January 18, 2013, 18:20:01 »

You're not expected to tip the stewards though.

Rio Ferdinand took offence when he got a tip last time.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Friday, January 18, 2013, 18:23:12 »

It was a highbrow establishment though.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Friday, January 18, 2013, 18:44:39 »

Football has traditionally been for the working man.  For fans of Arsenal, Man City and the like, it's now a middle class pursuit.  

To put it another way, you may pay £62 for a meal but I doubt many in the working classes would, especially not every Saturday.

Very true, but due to all manner of things, many people who would have grown up a generation or two ago as 'working class', now fall into the 'middle class' bracket.  Whether we like it or not, more disposable income = more expensive football.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 18, 2013, 19:22:53 by JanTheMan » Logged
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Friday, January 18, 2013, 18:54:57 »

When i was 12 years old and living at The Limes childrens home i was given 50p pocket money every week....i felt incredibly rich though i was miffed one week when i posted said 50p in the letter box with a letter!
Anyhow that 50p would get me in the match as kids rate(35p)...5p return on the bus,5p for a program and 5p for a bag of chips.
If the weather was good i would walk which either got me a battered sausage....or a few goes at the arcade in Gorse Hill......or maybe about 200 blackjacks or fruit salads.
If i ever won a few pence in the arcade it would be beans on toast in Nottons.

I have a thing about food you know.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Friday, January 18, 2013, 19:44:31 »

When i was 12 years old and living at The Limes childrens home i was given 50p pocket money every week....i felt incredibly rich though i was miffed one week when i posted said 50p in the letter box with a letter!
Anyhow that 50p would get me in the match as kids rate(35p)...5p return on the bus,5p for a program and 5p for a bag of chips.
If the weather was good i would walk which either got me a battered sausage....or a few goes at the arcade in Gorse Hill......or maybe about 200 blackjacks or fruit salads.

I had my first ever froffee coffee at Nottons, happy days indeed
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Friday, January 18, 2013, 20:07:14 »

Thumb Reg likes this
fatbasher

« Reply #133 on: Friday, January 18, 2013, 20:57:35 »

That bought a tear to a glass eye. Top man.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Monday, January 21, 2013, 16:50:21 »

I was talking to a Brighton "fan" who lives in Bristol today. He's just had his first visit to the Amex stadium. He was telling me how great it was with the padded seats and spacious concourses. He was even raving about how the away fans area is colour coded to the away teams colours, TVs showing their teams players, goals, etc and the bar there serves the away teams local brew.

Whatever happened to giving the away team the shittest part of the ground with a drainpipe against a wall for a toilet and making it almost an intimidating, exciting experience venturing on to another teams turf ? If anything sums up what is wrong with football these days, this does.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 469   Go Up
Print
Jump to: