Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First Town Game  (Read 253272 times)
berswin

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 12:28:11 »

First game was home against Arsenal December 27 1993, but we missed most of the first half.

There is a bit of a story behind the first match; so here it is:

I had just turned 18 and my parents allowed me to travel abroad alone for the first time.  I travelled with 3 childhood friends (2 of them are Bristol City supporters), an other BCFC supporter and Norwayred who ran the Scandinavian supporter's club at that time and who I never had met before.

We flew to London on boxing day and spent the first night there.  The tickets for the match should have been arranged by a Norwegian football travel agency and should be at the hotel in Bristol (democracy sucks and we lost 2-4 on the voting Swindon/Bristol).  We overslept ourself for the morning train and the next one was cancelled.  The tickets weren't at the hotel and there was delays on the train from Bristol to Swindon.  We arrived in Swindon 20 min into the game and ran to the ground without any tickets.  Norwayred had been in contact with the club secretary before we left Norway, so we asked somebody at the ground for him in Norwenglish.  After what felt like ages, he came out and guided us to the seats where the reserves and other staff are sitting.

I should also mention that none tickets arrived for the next matches, but the club allowed us to sit at the same place for the Chelsea match, where we presented the 'Scandinavian supporter's player of the year' award to Paul Bodin some minutes before the kick-off and the club got us tickets for the game away against Coventry and we rode the buses for free.  After the match, we arried in Swindon too late for the last train back to Bristol, but the wonderful lady who was our guide in the bus, arranged a free ride for us by one of her friends.

Got to love a club that does all this for foreign supporters!

Norwegian Swindon supporter since 1989
left back

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 15:39:16 »

April 15th 1989
Town 1-1 Watford
with my Dad and my Grandad in the disabled bit in front of the North stand. Think I spent most of the time hoping the ball would go out near us so I could get a touch!
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 15:52:06 »

April 15th 1989
Town 1-1 Watford
with my Dad and my Grandad in the disabled bit in front of the North stand. Think I spent most of the time hoping the ball would go out near us so I could get a touch!

You're not going to forget that date in a hurray
Kent Red

COYR

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 18:28:17 »

Against Brian Clough's Notts Forest in the FA Cup, 73 or 74, took a few thousand there but got stuffed 4-1 !
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 18:43:20 »

Against Brian Clough's Notts Forest in the FA Cup, 73 or 74, took a few thousand there but got stuffed 4-1 !

I was there and Kamara missed a sitter early doors...and Moss was superb that day.

The Trent End was loud that day.
kerry red

« Reply #185 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 18:48:40 »

pre-segregation days.

Stood on the terraces with a few Town fans fairly early when about half a dozen Forest fans decided the bumpkins were easy pickins.

Grand flailing of arms and legs and they fucked off back in the Trent End.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 18:50:31 »

Remember Cough being very complimentary about our performance and our fans....remember that day well.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #187 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 18:50:32 »

I was there that game, one of my first away games as a 12 year old...and it was actually as late as 1978, IIRC Swindon took several thousand to the City Ground that day.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 18:54:33 »

Great work Costa

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 20:03:53 »

pre-segregation days.

Stood on the terraces with a few Town fans fairly early when about half a dozen Forest fans decided the bumpkins were easy pickins.

Grand flailing of arms and legs and they fucked off back in the Trent End.
Also was at that game,stood on the side terrace.
Iirc there was segregation - albeit a picket fence between us and the Trent end . . wasnt their mob known as the "mascots" back then?
For the record ,first game was v Watford,beat us 1-0 69 ish.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 20:14:33 »

Around that time probably more like the Trent end boot boys or the Executive crew.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 20:27:10 »

i miss Costanza
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 20:29:54 »

Also was at that game,stood on the side terrace.
Iirc there was segregation - albeit a picket fence between us and the Trent end . . wasnt their mob known as the "mascots" back then?
For the record ,first game was v Watford,beat us 1-0 69 ish.

I believe our only defeat at home that season...Watford went on to pip us to the title on goal average.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 20:35:53 »

Around that time probably more like the Trent end boot boys or the Executive crew.

Sounded like they were shouting"The mascots . . united . . we will never be divided".
All i can remember the Trent end singing was thier own version of "Mull o kintyre" Zzz
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Friday, November 2, 2012, 20:42:02 »

Sounded like they were shouting"The mascots . . united . . we will never be divided".
All i can remember the Trent end singing was thier own version of "Mull o kintyre" Zzz

They still sing it.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: