Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 53   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: luke mccormick  (Read 122499 times)
timelord

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 09:51:17 »

I've always had a lot of respect for Swindon, but for them to come out and chase a child killer as a new signing, it's just not on.  I really hope a campaign is launched to stop this.
Barry Scott

« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 09:52:58 »

I've always had a lot of respect for Swindon, but for them to come out and chase a child killer as a new signing, it's just not on.  I really hope a campaign is launched to stop this.

Ooh, sensationalism. My favourite.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 09:54:06 »

I don't think anyone is justifying what he did.

To be honest he's done what he's done. There's no turning back the clock. Watching that youtube clip, you could see he was devestated. He has to live with that for the rest of his life. I do feel sorry for the parents, and would hate to be in their position. But what should the bloke do, hide away? If he was to serve you in a restaurant would you refuse? What if he got a job in your favourite restaurant, would you refuse to go?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Flashheart

« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 09:54:15 »

You should see twitter Barry.

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 09:54:25 »

Hypothetical bollocks.

I didn't so it's irrelevant.

What you did was as bad. You were just lucky nobody was killed.
I too used to drink drive when i was younger and am fortunate I was never caught or hurt anyone.
I sympathise with the player but think he should steer away from football and stfc due to the split it will cause.
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 09:55:58 »

Er, where?

Listen to the interview around 3 minutes 45 seconds.
DMR

« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 09:57:18 »

I agree - but my point is, I shouldn't be demonised in the same way LM is, I didn't kill or hurt anyone. Luckily or not, that's the bottom line.
kerry red

« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 10:00:29 »

Well, he must have some bollocks to want to return to football where he will be crucified everytime he appears on a pitch.

It will take major league thick skin for all that abuse not to affect him.

Trying to be rational about this without letting emotion get in the way - but on reflection I wouldn't really want him representing my team
Barry Scott

« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 10:03:35 »

You should see twitter Barry.

You won't catch me on there! Along with my longterm complete and total media blackout I avoid Twitter and steer clear of anything that smells like it might descend into sensationalist mongism. Smiley

And yes, I'm being sanctimonious. Cool
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 10:09:49 »

McCormack is considered scum yet look at the reaction to Jimmy Davis after he passed away.  They both drove over the limit it’s just the consequences were different, Davis could have crashed in a family car, LM could have gone off the road and not hurt anyone, they didn’t but they both took the same risk.

One we generally don’t want near our club and other is thought of in almost “Hero” terms, this makes me a little uncomfortable at the element of a double standard being applied (myself included) 
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 10:10:28 »

I find this bizarre. How can drink driving be an excuse to turn him into a victim, but if he was not drink driving be worse?

I might get pissed and go and stab a few people later. Hey its OK because I was pissed, everyone makes mistakes, we've all been pissed.

My point is that he is being demonised because he was unfortunate to hit a car instead of a lorry (and before you say he isn't there are loads of us who admit to drink driving and even players who have been convicted without the reaction) so my point is that if we demonised the drink driving and applied to EVERYONE then fewer people would drink drive and these tragedies wouldn't happen.  

By focusing on the death of the children it's deflecting from the real problem;  drink driving
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 10:11:17 »

I too used to drink drive when i was younger and am fortunate I was never caught or hurt anyone.
I sympathise with the player but think he should steer away from football and stfc due to the split it will cause.

Simple as that really
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 10:18:23 »

I'd have thought coaching and community work might have been a better avenue morally.

I guess he'd be cheap, and if he's still decent would be good value for money in a pure footballing sense. I just don't want my club to have him.
Both of these points are extremely well put.

Wray trying to defend it on the radio on the grounds it might spark some debate about drink driving and stop someone else from drink driving is despicable spin.

But I'm astonished people are surprised by this - this ship sailed last summer when the club very clearly decided that they would make decisions purely on the basis of success on the pitch. Which is reasonable for them to do. Wrong in my opinion but once you decide it's easier to make these decisions without letting "outside" considerations such as morality etc cloud your judgement, there's a certain logic to it.

And no, I'm absolutely NOT making any moral equivalence between Di Canio and McCormick, there clearly is none, but the decision makes sense on the same value-free "we'll judge it solely in footballing terms" basis. I'm quite sure no-one will read that last sentence and I'll get slaughtered anyway.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 10:23:21 »

I just find it embarrassing that we'd even consider employing this guy. I detest Lee Hughes for the same reason and can't stand the thought of him playing in our league. My kids are 10 and 8, the same age as the boys McCormick killed. If he did this to my kids I'd seriously murder him if I saw him out in public.

Get a job in a charity shop, join greenpeace, but don't go back into football. The thought of our young fans chanting his name makes me feel sick.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
DMR

« Reply #164 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 10:25:07 »

Both of these points are extremely well put.

Wray trying to defend it on the radio on the grounds it might spark some debate about drink driving and stop someone else from drink driving is despicable spin.

But I'm astonished people are surprised by this - this ship sailed last summer when the club very clearly decided that they would make decisions purely on the basis of success on the pitch. Which is reasonable for them to do. Wrong in my opinion but once you decide it's easier to make these decisions without letting "outside" considerations such as morality etc cloud your judgement, there's a certain logic to it.

And no, I'm absolutely NOT making any moral equivalence between Di Canio and McCormick, there clearly is none, but the decision makes sense on the same value-free "we'll judge it solely in footballing terms" basis. I'm quite sure no-one will read that last sentence and I'll get slaughtered anyway.

If everyone we signed had to have your seal of approval we'd never sign anyone  Too Cool
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 53   Go Up
Print
Jump to: