Pages: 1 ... 408 409 410 [411] 412 413 414 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1624062 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #6150 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 11:50:55 »

Depends on the definition of overhaul though doesn’t it. Surely we won’t bother to waste any more time on Davison, Barry is gone and neither centre backs should be starters next season so that’s at least 4 new starters even if others stay. Then there are the fringe players where we need a real overhaul as JML, Parsons, East etc have just been filling seats on the bench not offering actual game changing options. So you’re probably looking at 8 or 9 signings at least so quite an overhaul.

That's fair. I guess it's all about your definition of overhaul. First XI as you say the 2 Centre Backs are probably going to be replaced and also Davidson and Barry. I suppose over 1/3 of your team could be defined as an overhaul. I'd personally say this season was an overhaul bearing in mind we only had 7 professionals, this pre-season is a minor tweak in comparison!! Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #6151 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 11:56:25 »

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Barry back for another year. There is definitely something there with him and reckon we’d see better from him if we got him for another year.

Davison I’d be ok with coming back just not as first choice / our only out and out striker.

Conroy & Baudry have done well the last few weeks. No idea if they will stay. Won’t lose any sleep if they go - won’t be spitting feather if they stay. Again wouldn’t be surprised to see JOB here again next season.

Clearly JoJo is gone and Ward is our #1
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #6152 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 11:57:34 »

I mean from that the most obvious take away is I don’t think #s 1-11 has been our problem. It’s been #s 12-20 where we have fallen short…
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #6153 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 12:13:12 »

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Barry back for another year. There is definitely something there with him and reckon we’d see better from him if we got him for another year.

Davison I’d be ok with coming back just not as first choice / our only out and out striker.

Conroy & Baudry have done well the last few weeks. No idea if they will stay. Won’t lose any sleep if they go - won’t be spitting feather if they stay. Again wouldn’t be surprised to see JOB here again next season.

Clearly JoJo is gone and Ward is our #1
Agree with this and your post about 12-20. Barry is someone who will benefit from coming off the bench etc, i thought last night summed up our season actually. A extra few players to bring off the bench or even starting Barry on the bench would allow us to freshen it up but we have just never been afforded that luxury this season
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #6154 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 12:21:35 »

Agree with this and your post about 12-20. Barry is someone who will benefit from coming off the bench etc, i thought last night summed up our season actually. A extra few players to bring off the bench or even starting Barry on the bench would allow us to freshen it up but we have just never been afforded that luxury this season

To me Barry & Davison are two players who would have probably benefitted from having a few games out / on the bench.
Two players we would have benefitted massively by having good replacements for.

I mean this is Barry’s longest run of professional games in his young career. Best training in the world to prepare for that won’t be the same as doing it but we didn’t have any other options to rest him.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #6155 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 12:51:03 »

I mean from that the most obvious take away is I don’t think #s 1-11 has been our problem. It’s been #s 12-20 where we have fallen short…

This. We've managed to put out a fairly decent first 11 this season but the squad is paper thin
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #6156 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 13:00:22 »

This. We've managed to put out a fairly decent first 11 this season but the squad is paper thin
Exactly this.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #6157 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 13:15:15 »

This is true, but was not dissimilar to the 92/93 season where we played the same 11 for a fairly long run, and only had a fairly small squad.

Can’t imagine that it’s successful very often though
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6158 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 13:31:51 »

defense was well catered for.

midfield and particularly up top less so.

that's why it's frustrating.. so very very close
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #6159 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 13:41:10 »

My guess is Wollacott, AK, Conroy, Baudry, Hunt, East, Reed, JML and Payne all leave

Williams to stay for another year with the 5 other contracted players

I think you will be very close with that mate.

The only concerns I will have if we keep the likes of East and JML on cost grounds as they are not good enough and we need some physical quality.
Lyden more than likely will be here.

All very well wanting changes, the concerns I have are reducing costs further.
We need experience that is currently lacking.
« Last Edit: Friday, May 20, 2022, 13:43:17 by TheDukeOfBanbury » Logged
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #6160 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 13:50:45 »

Be a bit shit if our wage budget isn't in the top 7 and we can't complete with Orient. Other teams have debts also and we almost double attendances compared.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6161 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 13:53:13 »

East and JML on cost grounds

But they haven't featured. May as well put me and you on the bench, we'd do it for free. Unless you are suggesting  they'll be starting. Eeek
---
As as aside, was it you that talked to the unusually well presented blond lady at the end of out row? I assume she was a WAG - just being nosy to know whose?!
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #6162 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 13:54:19 »

I think you will be very close with that mate.

The only concerns I will have if we keep the likes of East and JML on cost grounds as they are not good enough and we need some physical quality.
Lyden more than likely will be here.

All very well wanting changes, the concerns I have are reducing costs further.
We need experience that is currently lacking.

The fact I’m close with it is a concern let’s be honest. Rebuilds are never good unless you’ve got a shite squad. Only 3/4 I’d keep but still, some would keep all bar JML and east.

JML and east just ain’t up to it- both given chances and failed miserably- nothing players. Happy for lyden on pay as you play as he’s a nasty midfielder what we need at times (when fit).
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #6163 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 14:03:36 »

The fact I’m close with it is a concern let’s be honest. Rebuilds are never good unless you’ve got a shite squad. Only 3/4 I’d keep but still, some would keep all bar JML and east.

JML and east just ain’t up to it- both given chances and failed miserably- nothing players. Happy for lyden on pay as you play as he’s a nasty midfielder what we need at times (when fit).

With the utmost due respect to the Duke, unless he knows 100% it is a speculative assessment. I’m all for a reduced budget as long as the recruitment is if the right quality and numbers needed. Otherwise we will be in a perpetual dog chasing tail scenario every season until we get new owners and look where that has gotten us. Clem & co have given us a tantalising glimpse into the future, be a shame to throw
it away. Be like throwing the clubs ashes into the wind.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #6164 on: Friday, May 20, 2022, 14:07:13 »

A lot of negativity here regarding the potential retained list.

I read somewhere we have options on a 2nd  year for Reed and Williams.

Payne did an interview in the summer where he basically said he wants to settle down at a club. He could've jumped ship back then but didn't. Things are looking better now. Think he'll stay too.

In fact, the only one I'd say with a degree of certainty that will leave is JoJo.

Regardless, we need to sign a couple of players in the Jordan Lyden / Anthony Grant mould. Last night was no good. Reminded me of Arsenal under Wenger. Lots of technicians but nobody to win the ball back to give it to them.
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 410 [411] 412 413 414 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: