Pages: 1 ... 353 354 355 [356] 357 358 359 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1622776 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #5325 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:01:39 »

I cant see us bring in much worse than the shit we had for last season, certainly from January onwards when Power was penny pinching.

I would like to think Clem will have enough funds to bring in players that willa t least compete rather than roll over for their belly to be stroked and bring ina manager who at least cares and plays some half decent football again.

If its sorted early this week, which I am led to believe it could be, we should be aiming at midtable or higher with the resources he has promised us.

Agreed mate.

We will start with an obvious handicap, but I don't get the notion that things won't improve.

Why won't they improve - unless Clem is a shyster? I really don't get it.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #5326 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:05:39 »

It's all about whether the real shyster will conclude the deal in time to let us start the season and move forwards there after.

So, give no fucks
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5327 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:06:26 »

We're in League Two now and (most of) the best players will likely have their plans for next season fixed already. It's not questioning the people doing the recruiting to suggest it'll be a much tougher job than if we were still in League One and starting to think about this in April/May rather than mid-late July.

The comparison for me is perhaps with the PDC League Two season - which obviously worked out brilliantly but actually started out very rockily with a hastily assembled squad. That year we had the money to carry on bringing in players through the season as players turned out to not be what was needed (Comazzi, Lanzano, Clarke) and people became available who wouldn't have been over the summer.

Seems unlikely we'll have the chequebook we had that season, so it might be a bit rocky. I'm not suggesting we should be aiming to finish 22nd or anything like that, but we'll do very well to be anything like ready for the first few games of the season.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #5328 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:07:04 »

Surely it’s all about how long it takes to get sorted.

I’d presume they will have players lined up to come in, but if it drags on for another couple of weeks will they get twitchy and look elsewhere.

Behind the scenes I’m sure things are moving on, but from the outside looking in we are still in the same place waiting for it to happen.

I’d agree that come January, assuming everything goes as planned, we will be in a position to strengthen the squad but it then depends on how far behind we might be.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #5329 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:10:14 »

It's all about whether the real shyster will conclude the deal in time to let us start the season and move forwards there after.

Maybe, just maybe his legal team will make him see sense, they must be aware of everything he has done, why and where money came from and went to. Hard to make a defence without all the information. They may personally not approve but that’s not their job. Their job is to get the best deal for their client based on the evidence before them. Same goes for Clem & Standings team. There is always the court and judge to use if necessary.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #5330 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:11:30 »

It does concern me what players will be left to choose from and I don't think there will be many hanging on for STFC to sign them the way things are at the moment.

So, give no fucks
Flashheart

« Reply #5331 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:12:54 »

We're in League Two now and (most of) the best players will likely have their plans for next season fixed already.

But this doesn't mean there's no decent players left.

A lot of business is done towards the end of the window anyway and that's when the best players tend to be picked up. I doubt anybody is expecting us to put together a promotion winning squad but, come on, there's no reason we can't still sign players of a decent standard and I am baffled that people are assuming otherwise.

And of course it depends on how much longer things go on for. I doubt anybody needs that explained to them. But, as things stand, we should have enough time to put something together. I suspect we have a few players already lined up just waiting to sign and things could be looking a lot better just one week from now.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:22:27 by Flashheart » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #5332 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:13:01 »

Maybe, just maybe his legal team will make him see sense, they must be aware of everything he has done, why and where money came from and went to. Hard to make a defence without all the information. They may personally not approve but that’s not their job. Their job is to get the best deal for their client based on the evidence before them. Same goes for Clem & Standings team. There is always the court and judge to use if necessary.

Anyone know what the agenda I see for next week and any court cases planned

So, give no fucks
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #5333 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:15:51 »

We're in League Two now and (most of) the best players will likely have their plans for next season fixed already. It's not questioning the people doing the recruiting to suggest it'll be a much tougher job than if we were still in League One and starting to think about this in April/May rather than mid-late July.

The comparison for me is perhaps with the PDC League Two season - which obviously worked out brilliantly but actually started out very rockily with a hastily assembled squad. That year we had the money to carry on bringing in players through the season as players turned out to not be what was needed (Comazzi, Lanzano, Clarke) and people became available who wouldn't have been over the summer.

Seems unlikely we'll have the chequebook we had that season, so it might be a bit rocky. I'm not suggesting we should be aiming to finish 22nd or anything like that, but we'll do very well to be anything like ready for the first few games of the season.
I agree with all of your points, except putting Clarke in that bracket. He 'could' have been absolutely awesome and a big money departure 'if' someone could have managed him well. He had everything that you could want in a striker.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #5334 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:16:11 »

Flitcroft didn't do a bad job in assembling a competitive squad at fairly short notice. Not sure how the timescales compare directly though.

Suspect that there will be more bargains to be had later in this window than in previous years.
Hopefully the groundwork has been going on in the background as the fans have been chewing their fingernails.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #5335 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:19:47 »

I agree with all of your points, except putting Clarke in that bracket. He 'could' have been absolutely awesome and a big money departure 'if' someone could have managed him well. He had everything that you could want in a striker.

Two big egos clashing....literally down the tunnel😀

So, give no fucks
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #5336 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:19:58 »

Thanks to whoever removed that prick Curran from the squad list.
I've been waiting a long time for this day.

Should check when the edit was made...

EYES EMOJI
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5337 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:22:14 »

Agreed, but Clarke wasn't what we needed - not on the grounds of ability, but personality clash with a manager who was not going to accommodate him. I wasn't intending to say he wasn't a good footballer, just that he was a (presumably) expensive signing that didn't work out and needed replacing.

And FH, we don't particularly disagree. You just seem to want to pick out one sentence from a longer post and argue with it, even when your argument essentially is the rest of my post. It's clearly, obviously a disadvantage to be in the place we are now. It's not insurmountable, but it'll need some very good people to do a very good job to catch us up, and we should probably be understanding if it takes a while to get up to speed this season.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:25:09 by Nemo » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #5338 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:26:43 »

I’d agree that come January, assuming everything goes as planned, we will be in a position to strengthen the squad but it then depends on how far behind we might be.
Bolton were in 12th place in January this season 8 points off 3rd place but went up via the autos.

With some good players, a good manager and a decent run I am sure teams that have been in the bottom half at Christmas have still gone up.

Its a huge ask but if we can get a fairly competitive side up together come the first few weeks of the season then I would never write us off.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #5339 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:27:00 »

And FH, we don't particularly disagree. You just seem to want to pick out one sentence from a longer post and argue with it, even when your argument essentially is the rest of my post. It's clearly, obviously a disadvantage to be in the place we are now. It's not insurmountable, but it'll need some very good people to do a very good job to catch us up.

It's not you who I'm disagreeing with. It's DV's comment that we will likely be signing worse players than last season that I'm questioning. I just don't get it and he's not the only one to say something like that.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 11:29:30 by Flashheart » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 355 [356] 357 358 359 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: