Pages: 1 ... 352 353 354 [355] 356 357 358 ... 444   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (currently serving 2021-22)  (Read 1623538 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #5310 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 11:46:03 »

The club did say the new contract was triggered for Odimayo, no idea if he still has to accept it or not.

I'd see no point in such a clause if the player could just say no.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #5311 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 11:47:22 »

Don't think he played enough games for it to be triggered.
You could be right Rich, I do remember the club saying they had offered him a new contract, but of course if wages haven't been paid then he is in his rights to walk away anyway.

Probably the lure of Sheff Weds, Preston and Stoke dangling contracts in front of him has swayed that decision.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #5312 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 11:48:23 »

https://www.derbycounty.news/transfers/report-derby-target-akin-odimayo-stalls-on-contract-offer-owls-step-up-chase/

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5313 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 12:18:04 »

I'd see no point in such a clause if the player could just say no.

Possibly give Power an excuse to drag his feet a few days more if some cash was incoming?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #5314 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 14:16:02 »

You could be right Rich, I do remember the club saying they had offered him a new contract, but of course if wages haven't been paid then he is in his rights to walk away anyway.

Probably the lure of Sheff Weds, Preston and Stoke dangling contracts in front of him has swayed that decision.

There were rumours of a mysterious injury... and also rumours that the club were forcing him to play in order to trigger the extension. Six of one...

As you imply, I don't think it would have made much difference.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #5315 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 11:54:46 »

Thanks to whoever removed that prick Curran from the squad list.
I've been waiting a long time for this day.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5316 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 11:57:09 »

Pitman is an odd one, do we know his contractual situation? The retained list has him as under contract, but was definitely announced as a one-year and is on the first post.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #5317 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 11:59:35 »

He triggered a one year extension. Be nice if he just moved on tbf
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5318 on: Friday, July 9, 2021, 12:09:25 »

He triggered a one year extension. Be nice if he just moved on tbf

Didn't see him in the training pics so assume he may well be trying to!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5319 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 09:20:36 »

Ben Mayhew's impressive (ly nerdy) squad churn spreadsheet now has STFC down to the lowest of the whole 92 for the amount of last years first team players retained in the squad at 29.8% after Curran's departure (it's worked out as a % of minutes played).

If Payne, Prett Bitman and Odimayo all leave that goes down to 17.5%, that would be less than half of the second lowest (interestingly, that's Doncaster).

Not really a surprise for anyone paying attention to the club, but maybe puts the squad building job in a bit of context of the rest of the league. League Two average is 55%
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #5320 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 09:54:51 »

Ben Mayhew's impressive (ly nerdy) squad churn spreadsheet now has STFC down to the lowest of the whole 92 for the amount of last years first team players retained in the squad at 29.8% after Curran's departure (it's worked out as a % of minutes played).

If Payne, Prett Bitman and Odimayo all leave that goes down to 17.5%, that would be less than half of the second lowest (interestingly, that's Doncaster).

Not really a surprise for anyone paying attention to the club, but maybe puts the squad building job in a bit of context of the rest of the league. League Two average is 55%

I love a good stat but this is a bit misleading.

I assume the point is - the lack of retained players will be a detriment to us...but...on the flip the large majority of our squad were gash and I personally (and I can’t imagine I’m alone) Am glad to see the back of.

On flip, flip side - it’s all about who gets bought in. If we bring in worse players (which is likely given the circumstances) the squad overhaul and these stat will be used as a reason why continuity is good.

If we managed to bring in better players and were table topping, this stat would be used as a reason as to why starting from scratch and clearing deadwood is the way to go...
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #5321 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 10:00:54 »

Every year we're told how important pre-season is to get the fitness levels required so it's hard to see how we can have a competive team for the first 1-2 months and that's assuming things are sorted out this week and players are brought in. Remember last season Pittman wasn't deemed match fit for several games before he played for 90 minutes and he was supposedly injury free when he signed.

So, give no fucks
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5322 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 10:03:06 »

Oh I agree that not many of last year's squad are worth retaining, but it's only misleading if you take it to mean "retain 100% and you'll be grand" as clearly last season's squad was not very good.

But having players who've met eachother and played together a bit is definitely an advantage, all other things being equal. Hence why most pre-season games full of trialists are a disjointed mess. Being absolutely rock bottom is definitely a bad place to be.
Flashheart

« Reply #5323 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 10:54:34 »

If we bring in worse players (which is likely given the circumstances)

Why is it likely?

Granted, a lot of players will already be taken, but in a few days we're likely to have a new owner. Why would the new owner not want to put together the best squad he can? I'm genuinely baffled.

*Although a few of our players last season were actually quite decent for a higher division, maybe that's what you mean?
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 10:57:53 by Flashheart » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #5324 on: Saturday, July 10, 2021, 10:58:29 »

Why is it likely?

Granted, a lot of players will already be taken, but in a few days we're likely to have a new owner. Why would the new owner not want to put together the best squad he can? I'm genuinely baffled.
I cant see us bring in much worse than the shit we had for last season, certainly from January onwards when Power was penny pinching.

I would like to think Clem will have enough funds to bring in players that will at least compete rather than roll over for their belly to be stroked and bring in a manager who at least cares and plays some half decent football again.

If its sorted early this week, which I am led to believe it could be, we should be aiming at midtable or higher with the resources he has promised us.

Pages: 1 ... 352 353 354 [355] 356 357 358 ... 444   Go Up
Print
Jump to: