Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where to go out in Swindon at night??  (Read 22177 times)
dporter

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 21:56:48 »

Got my tickets booked for the Port Vale game and a hotel for that night. Not been out in Swindon for a few years, where's good to go and where's best to avoid? Not really into clubbing so any decent bars worth a visit?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 22:02:01 »

Nope

Things get better but they never get good
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 22:06:35 »

I'll be out in Swindon on Saturday celebrating my birthday if anyone fancies buying me a pint..

Though I agree nowhere in town is actually good...

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 22:08:50 »

Got my tickets booked for the Port Vale game and a hotel for that night. Not been out in Swindon for a few years, where's good to go and where's best to avoid? Not really into clubbing so any decent bars worth a visit?

Tricky one, Swindon has plenty of drinking establishments, but they're not necessarily best suited to a lady...kind of depends on how sensitive you are to the low side of life....
dporter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 22:17:21 »

Tricky one, Swindon has plenty of drinking establishments, but they're not necessarily best suited to a lady...kind of depends on how sensitive you are to the low side of life....

You've obviously not seen some of the local pubs round where i live!! Definitely not overly sensitive just somewhere that serves a good pint and we won't be looked at funny because we're 'strangers'!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 22:34:19 »

You've obviously not seen some of the local pubs round where i live!! Definitely not overly sensitive just somewhere that serves a good pint and we won't be looked at funny because we're 'strangers'!

Well best to head up to Old Town....Beehive serves good beer but is expensive...always welcoming. The Vic is lively, with a younger clientele, but generally civilised. The Donkey, is a decent back street pub, with a bit of character. Pig on the Hill is nice enough in a bland sort of way...did see PdC in there earlier in the season.  The Plough is worth a visit for a chat with Andy Rowland...The Wheatsheaf used to be a top pub, but not been in it since it reopened.  Steam, I use fairly regularly, and has a range of ales.  The Goddards is a bit fake but nice enough...The Bell, probably is the most interesting building, but has gone right down hill. Baker Street, Mackenzies, Old Bank and Longs Bar are probably worth going to if you say OMG every 10th word, and like to slap stuff on your face every 10th minute.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 23:21:34 »

And there you have the Lonely Planet guide to pubs/bars in Swindon.

Do you do accommodation, local attractions and restaurant guides Reg? There should be a special match day boozer section as well.
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 23:42:42 »

And there you have the Lonely Planet guide to pubs/bars in Swindon.

Do you do accommodation, local attractions and restaurant guides Reg? There should be a special match day boozer section as well.

Simples. Savoy for 9 to grab a fry up, then take your pick between Sir Dans/Zen or The Tap before a swifty in the County.

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Spud

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 03:37:01 »

Well best to head up to Old Town....Beehive serves good beer but is expensive...always welcoming. The Vic is lively, with a younger clientele, but generally civilised. The Donkey, is a decent back street pub, with a bit of character. Pig on the Hill is nice enough in a bland sort of way...did see PdC in there earlier in the season.  The Plough is worth a visit for a chat with Andy Rowland...The Wheatsheaf used to be a top pub, but not been in it since it reopened.  Steam, I use fairly regularly, and has a range of ales.  The Goddards is a bit fake but nice enough...The Bell, probably is the most interesting building, but has gone right down hill. Baker Street, Mackenzies, Old Bank and Longs Bar are probably worth going to if you say OMG every 10th word, and like to slap stuff on your face every 10th minute.

I used to love The Wheatsheaf until Arkells decided to hammer the Landlord for even more of their profits which forced them to put up the cost of a pint of Peroni to £4.50!!

Haven't been in there since!

dporter, depends on what you want on a night out? quiet night? etc etc
fatbasher

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 06:07:31 »

I used to love The Wheatsheaf until Arkells decided to hammer the Landlord for even more of their profits which forced them to put up the cost of a pint of Peroni to £4.50!!

Haven't been in there since!

dporter, depends on what you want on a night out? quiet night? etc etc

Interesting what you say about the cost of a pint of Peroni. My mate got stung in The Sun @ Coate. He thought nothing of it at first as he did not exactly hear what the bar maid said and just handed over a tenner, like you do. He said he was going to challenge her on the second pint but of course he asked her for one before she said the price (that just sounds wrong reading it back), so the pint was poured, which we all do in fairness, something we generally never do when buying any other consumer product, strange that. Any way after he picked himself up off the floor his thought was, well you can guess and has not been back since. Strangely enough it's nowhere near that in the legends lounge around £1 less IIRC.
dporter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 07:12:59 »

Thanks Reg, looks like a pub crawl could be on the cards  Pint Made a mental note of where to avoid - definitely don't want to be surrounded by OMG types!

Spud - I'm wanting a decent night out with a bit of atmosphere, not too quiet but not a rowdy trendy bar full of teenagers!
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 07:34:52 »

Wheatsheaf is real quiet now, but it's a Wadworth so has some decent ale on.
I usually go between the Donkey and Steam Railway, bit more atmosphere and decent ales (Steam seems to have a wide range of clientele - from Reg to younger folk, via me somewhere in-between!).
The Vic has some decent music on and is a bit more alternative, but that works for me (and Mr Cod over the road does great post-pub hotwings...).
Out of all the 'bars', I prefer Longs... not as much posing, decent choice of drinks, nice outside bit in summer.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 08:03:24 »

Deers Leap?
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 08:04:01 »

We ought to award each establishment an award much like Michelin Stars only they could be 'Smeeton Bars'
DMR

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 08:13:12 »

Reg might have been around the block but he's about a million years old, why anyone under 50 would want his advice on where the scene in Swindon is mystifies me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: